KARPA Phoenix Challenge

I'd like to try this I think...

Just one thing: Suppose I launch the required satellite (sans docking ports) with whatever launch vehicle. Then I recover it with a different craft using a claw and land it. Now my recovery craft sits next to KSC (hopefully) with the satellite attached.

I do have to launch that exact satellite again right? It has no docking port and I'm not allowed to use a claw. Stock only, I see no way that could be done except the rather dodgy proposal of putting it in some sort of basket and flying the whole ascend under thrust so it won't fall out. Sure, might be doable I guess...

But seriously...

Edit: just had a random idea... Point is launched satellite and recovery craft are of different origin right, why not launch satellite, next person recovers, launches next, provides quicksave. Would need to be stock only then but might be fun...

Sorry I missed this post bT. Rules modified, ports allowed. Bonuses for no ports.

Finally, someone who gave me a good logical reason for ports.

It's now been converted to a bonus. Ports allowed.

As for part clipping... use your judgement here. If it feels like cheating, if you're worried I might 'see' something and disqualify you then it probably is cheating.

Thanks for the flexibility. I'm thinking about doing this challenge but I will be without my computer soon. So unless I can think of a way to do the satellite transfer from phase 2 to 3 in the next day or so, it might be a while before I can try. (So I'm not trying to snub.)

Well, here is my stock no-dock no-claw no-refuel entry: The deployed satellite is only 1.7t, but hey, its the first entry in this challenge anyway. Also featuring one of the most unloved engines of all times - the Poodle (in mission 2)

Meet - the COFFER (COntainer For Flying Entyty Relocation).

Mission profiles:

Karpa1: Launch to Geo-Transfer orbit and deploy sat, triggering sepratrons to guarantee deorbiting of transfer stage. Sat establishes Geostationary orbit on RCS.

Karpa2: Capture with COFFER in landing and ground-transport configuration. "Precision landing" only 30km away from KSC (Landing destroyed 3 of the four solar panels), ground transport with top speeds around 50m/s.

Karpa3: Transfer to COFFER in re-orbit configuration via ramp and reaction wheel rolling. Launch to GTO, re-establish Geo-orbit with remaining RCS.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Thanks for the challenge. While the "no docking port" seemed somewhat arbitrary, it enforced some thinking outside the box to achieve the transfer from mission 2 to mission 3.

Edited by SirJodelstein

Well, here is my stock no-dock no-claw no-refuel entry: The deployed satellite is only 1.7t, but hey, its the first entry in this challenge anyway. Also featuring one of the most unloved engines of all times - the Poodle (in mission 2)

Mission profiles:

Karpa1: Launch to Geo-Transfer orbit and deploy sat, triggering sepratrons to guarantee deorbiting of transfer stage. Sat establishes Geostationary orbit on RCS.

Karpa2: Capture with COFFER in landing and ground-transport configuration. "Precision landing" only 30km away from KSC (Landing destroyed 3 of the four solar panels), ground transport with top speeds around 50m/s.

Karpa3: Transfer to COFFER in re-orbit configuration via ramp and reaction wheel rolling. Launch to GTO, re-establish Geo-orbit with remaining RCS.

http://imgur.com/a/5FOA2

Thanks for the challenge. While the "no docking port" seemed somewhat arbitrary, it enforced some thinking outside the box to achieve the transfer from mission 2 to mission 3.

Haha, awesome. Your wagon was right on line with what I was thinking today. With decouple-able doors and everything. haha :)

And you get a lot more points for going no docking or claw than you do for the effort of a bigger satellite. Although no claw/port makes it a bit more wacky. Nicely done!

• 2 weeks later...

Mission profiles:

http://imgur.com/a/5FOA2

Very nicely done! You rolled it up a ramp? Will update the leaderboard in a few days. Out of town.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.