Major hurdle crossed!

Whackjob

Yeah, buddy!

CnxDNvD.png

Working on the absolute largest build I've ever done. Recently, I'd been consistently thwarted by the Kraken, who saw fit to attack my sections before they even left the pad. But at last, we're airborne! The above is the bottom one tenth of the lander tower to be assembled in orbit. The picture below shows a closer view of the two outside docking arrays per column that will be used to attach landing legs later.

COzmuxD.png

Not in orbit yet, launch still going, but I thought I'd allow myself a little celebration. I've been stagnant for far too long.

i need your advice for multi-port docking.

basically my question is: HOW DO?

Line up EXTREMELY perfectly and close, then tap 'er in. Don't trust the magnetics to do it right for ya. You want all of 'em to hook in simultaneously. If one side hooks first and pulls the other in, it'll never wind up right.

#EDIT: Just realized each leg will have twenty docking ports per. That's gotta be a multidock record.

Holy crap..... I am at a lost for a more poetic phrase, but jeebus that is only 10th of the lander what are you landing.....Eve? And no I don't mean landing on Eve but rather landing Eve on Kerbin LOL (I know you cannot do this but it would be funny).

Quick update. She went past 10k during her gravity turn, and the outside boosters just then ran out. Fuel flow looks good.

vPAfzdK.png

Separation of the boosters does not. Looks like it's time for more home made separatrons. So it goes!

Is this thing even going to fit in physics range when it's done!?

Also, nearly 20 minutes to fly just 10 km...da-yum that's some lag. Have you ever checked the physics time ratio in your launches?

Actually, I'm just gonna set her down on the Mun to start. Later maybe I'll reinstall kethane, add a refinery system, then go planet hopping.

The actual tower is probably going to have a stupid amount of parts, so I might not go the whole 10xVAB in height, but that's what I'm aiming for.

#EDIT: Ok, made some custom Separatrons. Getting ready for launch. I've already got an oversized RCS tug in orbit, this lander section is where it'll be carrying parts to.

#EDIT2:

Nice! Do u use FAR?

No. I have launched big things under FAR, though. Actually I launched an Arkingthaad style launcher with both FAR and RSS. Didn't quite make orbit. That's the project that melted my old machine haha!

You know how some people have chained together bunches of asteroids?

I feel like this planet-hopping... thing is built to drag at least the moons of Jool off rails and into a five-cornered mega structure.

Edit: When technology become sentient and start punishing us for our sins, I think Whackjob is the first one up against the wall for what he's done to his machines.

Edited by Boomerang

Um, whats all those docking ports on the side for?:blush:

The landing legs this thing would require couldn't be added in the VAB, because the boosters themselves are touching its walls. So I'm gonna launch the legs separately and then bolt them on in orbit. Twenty docking ports per leg, because there's going to be a silly amount of weight each will have to bear.

#EDIT: LOL!

4ZqcsQw.png

Something tells me the separatrons have a bit too much fuel. :sticktongue:

#EDIT2: LOL!x2 Turns out I forgot to slap on my customary single solar panels. I'm runnin' outta power. Should be able to make orbit, but she'll probably be dead at that point. I'll have to launch a slap-and-stick solar array.

#EDIT3: Engines off! Fuel still remaining. Plotting orbit insertion burn! I may very well make it! Holy [X]!

#EDIT4:

SsR7QM1.png

Nope, blew it. Lack of power means I can't steer her. Well, can always launch again. But it does seem as though orbit is probable! Time to reset and relaunch.

Edited by Whackjob

I AM EXCITE.

I just recently got a new desktop, too! (almost specifically for playing KSP)

3.3GHz quad core... not like the quad makes much of a difference :P

but it actually has a GRAPHICS CARD, unlike my laptop, so that should help CPU load. I did some testing already today, and it is going great!

Edited by User Unrelated

Ladies and gents, we've got booyah.

RRgDRq1.png

95k fuel left, and she's in one sloppy orbit, because it handles like a dumptruck without brakes driving across frozen lard. But she's there!

#EDIT: You know what? I'm reverting. I wanna fine tune a couple more things.

Edited by Whackjob

BCPalUx.png

This sepatrons seem to work better than the ones I made. Mind if I steal the idea? :wink:

Edited by pauix
I can't seem to write properly without a morning coffee :/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.