Need some lighting help

So I'm new to modeling and I've got some problems with the lighting on my first part. I'm so new I'm not sure even what info is useful or not so aside from all parts and screenshots of every screen of blender and unity I don't know what to post.

Here is the part and the lighting problems.

FPxdhMW.png

Second and third pictures show weird lighting around the top of the vents and on the sideways pictures on all lighting seems off.

What modelling program did you use ?

If it's 3dsmax or some other low-level style programs, it looks like vertices on the "front line" need to be welded together.

Better to show also the raw object without texture at all, as texture can hide issues (sometimes on purpose ;) ).

Set everything to smooth shading and also recalculate the normals

EMbtU6F.png

I've been told that Unity makes everything smooth, I'm not sure how true that is but as a matter of practice what I'd suggest is that you select any feature on your part you want to be sharp, and split along it, so for instance these:

GGEHQgP.png

Actually split the mesh along those lines [ here's how ], and then smooth everything else. As well, there is a way to manipulate how much smoothing is applied, but I don't know where that is.

With the mesh split up like that smoothing is a lot simpler for the engine to process correctly, the issue can be that it's trying to smooth say, the cylinder wall of the part, against the nearly perpendicular side of the nub you've placed on it, which makes both faces look wrong compared to the ones they're actually supposed to be congruent with. If the face is only considering the other faces that it's supposed to be smoothed against, it's less able to go wrong.

edit: PS, recalculating the normals has a tendency to fix a lot of minor things, and it usually doesn't take more than a second to do, so you may as well do it every time you think you're done before trying to re-export, or even more frequently.

Edited by Greys

I've been told that Unity makes everything smooth, I'm not sure how true that is but as a matter of practice what I'd suggest is that you select any feature on your part you want to be sharp, and split along it, so for instance these:

That sounds a bit strange. Most modeling programs allow you to arbitrarily set a line (or edge) to be soft or hard.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.