[1.0.5 - Alpha 6] Dang It! (12 september 2015)

Ippo

I had a prototype of a failure module for antennae, but it wasn't working, so it's postponed.

Actually, (way down the line) remote tech will be even more sadist: you need connection to the KSC also for repairs, except trivial ones ;)

Which is why my com sats have 2 antenna instead of just 1, and are always in com sight-range of 2 other satellites. Redundancy.

i know i have been gooing all over this mod since it came out.. but i am going to do it some more. it has become a core component to my game and my play-style now. combined with antenna range, deadly re-entry, and real-chutes (along with like 30 other mods) i finally have the quasi-realism i have been looking for in KSP.

now i have a reason to keep a few Kerbals permanently stationed in LKO (a repair team, to maintain my fleet of com-sats, that I need to keep communications up). i can even finally build my little RCS sled for my mechanics to ride around in, intercepting sats and repairing systems. and the failures are just infrequent enough to be realistic but not a headache. also, i can no longer just dump gear in orbit for use years down the road without considering the costs of future repair missions.

oh and redundancy.. it's no longer just for OCD "feel of realism" anymore. now that extra battery pack or backup engine may actually save my butt, especially when on a probe out at Jool and your primary power storage fails.

i finally feel like i'm running a virtual space program.

Edited by autumnalequinox
spelling

Thanks for your kind words :)

Feedback on the frequency of failures is extremely important to me, so please share it anytime!

Since we are talking about redundancy, let me share one tip: multiple small tanks are better than one large tanks, because you can isolate the leaking tank by closing its valves. That way you can at least contain the losses until the repair team can get on site :)

Hey, dumb question - how do I install this? I've tried un-zipping it in my KSP directory, as well as copying everything from the /DangIt/GameData folder to my /GameData folder, but as far as I can tell it's having no effect at all. (At least, I don't see an EOL field anywhere in VAB. Haven't run it long enough to see if stuff just breaks.)

Linux, 64-bit. Got a ton of other mods working. I couldn't quite tell what the conflict with Procedural parts does - does that just mean that failure rates don't apply to them, or does the face that I have Procedural Fairings mean I can't run this?

AWESOME mod!!! I'm starting a new game right now just to have it from the beginning!!

And YOU! Can't decide if I should sabotage one of your rockets or give you a hug! lmao

I'm a mod-a-holic it seems and was just commenting 20 minutes ago that I think I am finally content with my list of mods. Then I read a post of yours in another thread where you mentioned "Dang It!" I somehow missed this one in my mod-shopping and have yet another mod to add to my list. Seriously though, thanks. I am certain this will become one of my favorites.

Quick question, I just noticed it doesn't work with Asteroid cities (because the asteroid will leak), since it's water, if I temporarily add water (until a more perm. fix is found) will that prevent that from happening?

Not so quick question! Sorry, just excited about this mod. Do you have to dock with unmanned probes that have a part broken, or can you just EVA over with parts in hand to effect repairs?

In the VAB or SPH right click on any part and check that there is a panel called reliability info.

You can also launch a ship and right click on any part (either from inside or during an EVA) and you should see some more failure related options.

The issue is with Procedural Parts, not with Procedural Fairings: its tanks are not recognized.

Quick question, I just noticed it doesn't work with Asteroid cities (because the asteroid will leak), since it's water, if I temporarily add water (until a more perm. fix is found) will that prevent that from happening?

If you mean to add water to the blacklist, yes, this should prevent the problem: however you won't get any water leaks at all, in any part.

Do you have to dock with unmanned probes that have a part broken, or can you just EVA over with parts in hand to effect repairs?

No need to dock, you can just fly to the damaged probe. In fact, I suggest you launch your probes without spare parts, since they are quite heavy and expensive and you are going to need a manned mission anyway. In the final release probes won't have any spare parts in them.

Good to hear. :-)

Thank you for answering my questions.

No problem, one of these days I'll write at least a basic wiki so that everyone can get to know how to use this more properly.

I think I saw a mod that increases MTBF with use. If you use same kind of part for 100 times it becomes more reliable (it tracks how many hours it was in use). But I can't find it (don't know the name). It would be great if you could make newly discovered parts with low MTBF, afrer 1000 hour of use engineers would make better quality parts.

does someone know what mod does this?

In the VAB or SPH right click on any part and check that there is a panel called reliability info.

You can also launch a ship and right click on any part (either from inside or during an EVA) and you should see some more failure related options.

The issue is with Procedural Parts, not with Procedural Fairings: its tanks are not recognized.

Huh, yeah, definitely not installed, then. What should the directory structure look like once it's set up correctly? When I unzip it I get a Dangit folder, which contains a GameData Folder, which contains another Dangit folder, which in turn contains a ModuleManager folder, a PluginData folder, and a dll. I've tried either leaving it as-is after unzipping or copying the contents of DangIt's GameData folder into Kerbal's GameData folder, neither makes a difference. Where should everything be?

I'm getting a weird bug I *think* I've traced back to this mod. What happens is the ship & bits of the "world" aren't getting displayed when switching to a vessel. There should be a LOT more to the ship in the pic. When this happens I can still switch to other vessels with the map or tracking station, they may be fine or they may have the same problem. Removing DangIt immediately fixed the problem on the one try I've tried so far, but then I can't select ANYTHING in the tracking station. I have to load something thru the VAB then switch via the map view. Haven't tested beyond that as I was short on time this morning. Someone PM me an email and I'll try & get you some logs.

bZUGwef.png

Huh, yeah, definitely not installed, then. What should the directory structure look like once it's set up correctly? When I unzip it I get a Dangit folder, which contains a GameData Folder, which contains another Dangit folder, which in turn contains a ModuleManager folder, a PluginData folder, and a dll. I've tried either leaving it as-is after unzipping or copying the contents of DangIt's GameData folder into Kerbal's GameData folder, neither makes a difference. Where should everything be?

You should merge the GameData folder from my zip into the main one. In the end, in your GameData you should have:

- one folder called DangIt that in turns contains ModuleManager, PluginData, and the .dll

- another folder called ZZZ_DangIt_FAR that contains the FAR compatibility dll

I'm getting a weird bug I *think* I've traced back to this mod. What happens is the ship & bits of the "world" aren't getting displayed when switching to a vessel.

The absolute best would be to open an issue on my github tracker with a link to your log. Otherwise, send me an email to [email protected] with the log.

You should merge the GameData folder from my zip into the main one. In the end, in your GameData you should have:

- one folder called DangIt that in turns contains ModuleManager, PluginData, and the .dll

- another folder called ZZZ_DangIt_FAR that contains the FAR compatibility dll

Yeah, that's how I arranged things, and nothing's showing up in VAB.

Two thoughts: First, I *do* see something that says "No damage" whenever I right-click anything on EVA. That meaningful?

Second, you mention FAR compatability - I have NEAR installed. Could that be causing it? (NEAR = Simpler FAR)

Two thoughts: First, I *do* see something that says "No damage" whenever I right-click anything on EVA. That meaningful?

Second, you mention FAR compatability - I have NEAR installed. Could that be causing it? (NEAR = Simpler FAR)

That's Deadly Reentry.

I haven't tested with NEAR: same as above, please open an issue on the tracker or at the very least send me the log by email.

This might be a dumb question because I think I know the answer.

With KCT, items you recover can be placed into inventory to be used for future builds, making the build time faster. With regards to this mod, do the parts age while in inventory?

AWESOME mod!!! I'm starting a new game right now just to have it from the beginning!!

And YOU! Can't decide if I should sabotage one of your rockets or give you a hug! lmao

I'm a mod-a-holic it seems and was just commenting 20 minutes ago that I think I am finally content with my list of mods. Then I read a post of yours in another thread where you mentioned "Dang It!" I somehow missed this one in my mod-shopping and have yet another mod to add to my list. Seriously though, thanks. I am certain this will become one of my favorites.

hugs please!! arrgh my fleet is so delicate right now i can't take any sabotage :) i have been running a karbonite mining operation and poor Jeb has had to repeatedly fly down from a maintenance station in a tiny lander to repair my automated miner (my dumb ass gave it four engines with four fuel tanks). i'm glad i could help tho i think my modlist is just about set too. i'm looking at possibly adding the mod that forces you to wait for rockets to be built but only after i see if it is compatible with dang it! but i am almost content :) it's running good with 30+ mods on x32.. only had one stack crash with weeks of gameplay. everybody is getting along and the party is HOPPING.

oh and minor bug with the new TAC life support. The waste tanks can rupture, but Dang it simply says "the _ tank is leaking" and of course nothing happens, cause who cares about waste (and the tanks are generally empty). so if anybody wants to copy/paste this little fix for the config.

// TAC Life Support

ignore = Food

ignore = CarbonDioxide

ignore = Waste

ignore = WasteWater

This might be a dumb question because I think I know the answer.

With KCT, items you recover can be placed into inventory to be used for future builds, making the build time faster. With regards to this mod, do the parts age while in inventory?

The honest answer is that I have no idea, but most likely not.

oh and minor bug with the new TAC life support. The waste tanks can rupture, but Dang it simply says "the _ tank is leaking" and of course nothing happens, cause who cares about waste (and the tanks are generally empty). so if anybody wants to copy/paste this little fix for the config.

Actually, you do care about waste resources if you are recycling them for an interplanetary mission, that's why they are not blacklisted.

You did, however, spot a bug in the tank code (empty tanks should not leak). Thanks!

Actually, you do care about waste resources if you are recycling them for an interplanetary mission, that's why they are not blacklisted.

You did, however, spot a bug in the tank code (empty tanks should not leak). Thanks!

Oh you're right I didnt think of that. I think my recylers have been running at such a load that im not seeing waste build. Glad to help tho!

So, it randomly started working when I re-arranged my other mods a bit. But, I may have noticed a bug/issue/annoying feature.

As far as I can tell, SpareParts have weight, and every command module has SpareParts. This would be fair enough, except that MechJebb units contain SpareParts. So all of my lighter craft are un-fliable, because they've got a whole bunch of weight on one side.

If spare parts don't have weight for you, this might be a conflict with the Kolonization thing, which also seems to include a resource called SpareParts - maybe they get weight from that mod, which messes with this one?

I've got an Bug/Feature.

I can activate all Fail things manual. Is this suppose to be so?

Yes. They are temporarily enabled so that people who want to test it, can. It will be disabled in the release (unlike Squad, when I say Alpha I mean it).

MechJebb units contain SpareParts. So all of my lighter craft are un-fliable, because they've got a whole bunch of weight on one side.

My Spare Parts are indeed very heavy, and that's by design. If you play career mode, you will have noticed that they are also very expensive too.

MechJeb gets the spares because I use module manager to give them to any command module, and mechjeb is one of them so it gets them too. I'll fix this in the next release. If you are impatient, you can edit the cfg to this:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:FOR[DangIt]

that should exclude MechJeb (but it will ignore the MechJeb pod too).

so i've been playing with dang it for quite awhile now, about half of my career mode. this may be intentional, but i have noticed that the failure rate (the % rate) of fuel tanks is very high. I have had multiple (4+ tanks) fail within a few minutes, with spacecraft only 15 minutes old. other parts failure rate is a bit more rare (once a week, or even longer). it got a bit ridiculous, with nearly guaranteed tank leakage making unmanned probes useless. (an automatic miner could not operate independently for more then a week). while this is realistic, there is of course no way to design a better tank. as a feature request, I wonder if it would be possible to allow the failure rate (the check made during clock ticks, I am assuming it's a variable or %) to be something we can mess with in the config.

of course i could simply be unlucky, and this could have been chance, but without knowing the chance of failure on a new part per check, i can't be certain.

if i wasn't building extensive infrastructure and STS it might not hurt as much, so the ability to make tank leakage rare would be a playstyle change for myself (and others who run massive 30+ active vessel auto/manned programs) versus an actual criticism on the failure rate itself, which as I said is actually rather realistic right now.

another possibility.. maybe a different kind of tank failure? catastrophic versus slow leak? i know the reason we have yet to build orbital propellant depots is the loss of fuel due to evaporation and heating. a slow leak could be more common, and result in a single or multiple instance of 1 or 2% fuel loss, not crippling but definitely noticeable, versus an actual puncture (micro-meteoroid, bad design) that would be very rare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.