Delta Galactic CSA: Mission Reports

jedensuscg

HISTORICAL ARCHIVES

The following is a historical archive of the original Delta Galactic Civilian Space Agency. As of KSP 1.0, a new, greater mission to the stars is being developed and will be chronicled at a later time.

i2zwMXy.jpg

CHANGE NOTES AND NEWS

No longer being updated. Has not been for some time as I was waiting for KSP 1.0. These reports are being retained for historical purposes. Images are no longer online and there are forum formatting issues due to the change in forum software.

ABOUT DELTA GALACTIC:

Delta Galactic (DeltaG on the Kerbol Stock Exchange) is a Commercial Space Agency(CSA) and is part of Delta Kerbin World Insustries. It is in fact, the ONLY Space Agency on Kerbin. No Kerbin government wanted to start a Space Program, as they are still trying to develop everything else, like manned flight...and wheels. However, Deladin Kerman decided to go for broke, well he hopes not broke. The eccentric billionaire wanted to see the stars and turn a profit along the way. When asked in an issue of GK Magazine why he decided to skip a few hundred years of industrial design and engineering and skip straight to putting cashed strapped college stu-er kerbonauts- on onto poorly controlled explosions he remarked "Golf my friend. Golf." And many speculate that yes, hitting a Golf ball on the Mun WOULD be fun.

MISSION STATEMENT:

Delta Galactic's goal is the betterment of all life on Kerbin, excepting that life that must be sacrificed to achieve the goal of bettering all the rest of the life. To achieve these ends, and to make the board of misfits happy, Delta Galactic will attempt to commercialize space in several phases.

Phase 1: After initial research and development, Delta Galactic plans on commercial flights into space, for all manner of things including but not limited to: Space Adventures, University Research, Energy Drink Experiments, and of course Zero-G Dodgeball and Munar Golf driving ranges.

Phase 2: Permanent Mun Kolonization. Details will be hammered out at the next board meeting.

Safety regulations are non existent, volunteers are abundant, and right now, money is no option, though it is rumored at some near future date Kerbalkind will adopt some form of universal currency. Until then, print up the money and burn it....get it, burn...rockets...ya

MISSION LAYOUT:

Missions will generally be grouped up into specific categories, or Projects. Each Project will focus on specific aspects of the space program. Missions can jump around between projects, as until they are officially canceled, multiple concurrent projects are ongoing. For example the Geomancer Project is focused on Kerbin research and exploration, while the Artemis Project is focused on early Mun operations, mostly related to research and mapping. With this in mind, the table of contents will be broken down into each Project, with Missions being numbered as a running tally over all projects. So you may see the Mission numbers jump within each project. As Mission 10 might happen in one project, and 11 in another, and 12 back in the first.

RULES:

Limited use of quicksave: While I will kill off my Kerbals, I will still use quicksave loads for some things, usually if something happens right after launch that is a result of me doing something stupid in VAB. For the most part, any legitimate launch will continue regardless. As a result this is the FIRST time I have designed my rockets with an abort mechanism.

IVA over EVA:While I am not ready to do full IVA missions(and don't want to, some of the fun is "seeing" your awesome spacecraft do it's thing" I am focusing on spending as much time in IVA as possible. I will also use the map and maneuver nodes. And yet I have Mechjeb and will take advantage of this. After hundreds of Kerbin launches, sometimes I just want to hurry and dock with my refuel station for the 50th time so I can do something new.

MechJeb: I do use it. However, I rarely let it take control. I use it to plan maneuvers and fly them manually. Exceptions are things that I have already done a dozen time that day, like intercepting for docking with the same space station I docked with over and over. I will fly the dock manually however.

Life Support: This is also my first time using Life Support mods. So now I have to pay attention to their health. Previously I would leave a Kerbalnaut on the Mun, in EVA, for months.

Small Steps: While I know it's possible to reach Minimus AND the Mun in a single mission with very very early tech, I am not going to go from Kerbal Orbit to a Manned minimus mission in the same day.

MODS:

I use a ton of mods, I love them.

[table=width: 500]

[tr]

[td]ASET[/td]

[td]B9[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]BioMass+Science[/td]

[td]DMagic Orbital Science[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]FAR[/td]

[td]Habitat Pack[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]RasterPropMonitor and KSI MFD[/td]

[td]KAS[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Procedural Fairings[/td]

[td]Kethane[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]KW Rocketry[/td]

[td]Infernal Robotics[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Mechjeb 2[/td]

[td]Near Future Solar[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Part Catalog[/td]

[td]SCANsat[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]TAC Life Support[/td]

[td]Modular Kolonization System[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Universal Storage[/td]

[td]Vessel View[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Toolbar[/td]

[td]Associated dll's and fixes[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

[table]

[tr]

[td]Table Of Contents

The Geomancer Missions

The Geomancer Project is designed to create effective and safeâ„¢

spacecraft for local Kerbin research. It is a stepping stone into greater space.

Mission 1: Capsule Calibration

Mission 2: Initial Atmospheric Research and Stuff

Mission 3: Loss of a Hero

Mission 4: Abort Procedures Analysis: Because it Lowers our Insurance

Mission 5: Geomancer II: Orbit or Bust

Mission 7: Let's stay a bit closer to home. W/ Video

Mission 9: Let's Get Mapping!

The Artemis Missions

The Artemis Project is designed to test the feasibility of sustained Mun commercial exploitati-er colonization.

Mission 6: Every which way but the Mun.

Mission 6 Supplement: If at First You Don't Succeed...Fail Again.

Mission 8: Let the Computer do it.[/td]

[td=width:400]Significant Program Details

Most Recent Milestone: Achieving Kerbin Orbit by Bill Kerman on Y1D5. Bill achieved two full orbits. Mission Report

First pictures of the Mun from orbit. Mission Report[/td]

[td]Losses

Jebediah Kerman was lost on Y1D5 @ 00:01:00. Mission Report[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Edited by jedensuscg

Geomancer Project

DG Mission Number: 1

Delta Galactic Mission Report

Date: Y1D4 01:00:00

Name: Capsule Calibration

Goal: Provide initial data into the new crew capsule, and to test the newly implemented Crew Report Flow.

Crew: Jebediah Kerman

Craft: Capsule

Research Obtained: 24

Initial tests of the new Crew Capsule were a success. Also tested was the new Life Support System developed by the Thunder Aerospace Corporation. Further, a new workflow designed to speed up crew reporting was tested, and new metrics were outlined.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Geomancer Project

DG Mission Number: 2

Date: Y1D4 04:00:00

Name: Initial Atmospheric Research

Goals: Provide the science team with atmospheric data. Secondary Goo research has been authorized. Return via the newly designed parachute system.

Crew: Jebediah Kerman

Craft: Geomancer I - Click for Craft Data Sheet

Research Obtained: 66

Despite the goal being only to reach high atmospheric flight, Jebediah pushed the throttles to full and entered the reaches of LKO. When it was determined Jeb would reach an apoapsis of 124 km, he cut engines and coasted into the history books. Kerbalkind has touched the stars.

After a quick EVA, and with electrical resources dwindling, Jeb cut short his space adventure and burned retrograde towards the planet, arresting his ascent.

With the original mission planned as a water recovery due to it's short nature, the Geomancer was well out of the safety limits of it's landing capabilities. In fact, Mission Control passed to Jeb that he was now projected to land high in the mountains.

Jeb hit the atmosphere hard, much harder than expected, and the craft nearly shook itself apart. Jeb used every last bit of fuel and burned skyward in an attempt to slow his descent.

At a mere 1km above the terrain, it was realized that the Geomancer had a major design flaw. The Goo canisters were attached below the Capsule's decouple point. With no time to grab the research (and in fact no chance of survival if he tried) Jeb was determined none the less to save the data. He decided, against Mission Control's recommendations, to land with the entire upper stage attached. With no fuel left in the tanks, Jeb hoped this was a safe bet.

Hitting the ground with a chute not designed for the extra weight of the engine and empty fuel tank, a large explosion rocked the Geomancer as the engine and a small amount of fuel left in it, contacted the ground and exploded. Though shaken violently, the crew capsule was unharmed.

Soon rescue crews were able to recover Jeb and the rest of the ship from high in the mountains, with only a little frostbite setting in.

Edited by jedensuscg

Geomancer Project

DG Mission Number: 3

Date: Y1D5 00:00:30

Name: Geomancer Orbit

Goals: Provide metrics on sustained zero-g by completing a full orbit of Kerbin. Provide further atmospheric testing and Goo samples.

Crew: Jebediah Kerman (Deceased)

Craft: Geomancer I Mk2 - Click for Craft Data Sheet

Research Obtained: 0

It is with sincere sadness that I have to report the loss of Commander Jebediah Kerman. Jeb, as his friends called him, was killed after impacting the water, unprotected, at terminal velocity, or he simply burned up in the atmosphere. No remains have been found.

The Geomancer Orbit mission started badly. Shortly after takeoff, a glitch in the system design caused the parachute to deploy. The chute did survive the launch however. After achieving an altitude of 73km, Jeb made for his orbital burn. It was soon realized that there was not enough fuel on board to stabilize an full orbit. It was deemed that the Geomancer I spacecraft was not suited for full orbit, even with the addition of the more modern KW Rocketry Vestra VR-1 engine. After the Geomancer I was stabilized in a degrading orbit, with a projected splash down over water, Jeb went EVA and attempted to repack the parachute before returning to the capsule. Jeb's taking the "Pack your chute and Pray" self paced course paid off and he was able to repack the parachute.

At an altitude of 67km, Jeb once again attempted to exit the capsule, this time to it was assumed to provide insight into high atmospheric conditions by taking an EVA report. This was highly irregular procedure and was not planned, and in fact no one quite knows what Jeb was thinking. Perhaps the pressure of is overnight celebrity status took it;s toll.

Upon exiting, Jebediah immediately lost all hold on the capsule and the two parted ways. The last contact with Jeb was right before he hit atmospheric reentry.

The rest of the Geomancer craft crashed into the ocean with no salvageable remains.

Edited by jedensuscg

Geomancer Project

DG Mission Number:

Date: YD 00:00:30

Name: Abort Procedure Analysis

Goals: Test abort procedures to be implemented into all further spacecraft. Broken into several launches to test procedures in various altitudes and stages.

Crew: Bill Kerman

Craft: Geomancer II - Click for Craft Data Sheet

Research Obtained: 10

In-Memorium: Jebediah Kerman

With the death of Jebediah Kerman still fresh, the team over at Delta Design and Manufacturing decided to work on abort procedures to prevent loss of life again in the future. To this end they created the Emergency Abort System, essentially a bunch of small solid rocket separators tied to a kill an engine kill switch and stack separator. Despite it's simplicity, the team are all demanding raises for their heroic accomplishments. two tests were to be performed.

Test 1: Low altitude abort with solid rocket, designed to check the system during the stage when you can't "Just kill the engine and let it coast". The Capsule ejected and safely cleared the rocket, which continued it's ascent and landed somewhere.

Test 2: 12 km abort on second stage designed to test high speed and high altitude abort. Bill Kerman added a forced attitude wobbled to simulate actual failure. The capsule ejected clear of the rocket, where it entered a wild high-G spin, until the built in SAS controlled it. All in all a success

Edited by jedensuscg

Geomancer Project

DG Mission Number: 5

DELTA GALACTIC MISSION REPORT

Date: Y1D5 05:49:00

Name: Kerbin Orbital II

Goal: Attempt one full orbit of Kerbin and provide research samples.

Crew: Bill Kerman

Craft: Geomancer II

RESEARCH SUMMARY

Research learned prior to mission

T1 - T2 Complete; T3 General Rocketry

Research Data Retrieved: 24

New Research Completed: T3 Complete, T4 Science Tech

Bill Kerman became the first Kerbalnaut to orbit his home planet. Exceeding the goal of at least one orbit around Kerbin, Bill and the Geomancer II spacecraft still had some difficulties to overcome.

Due to Burning more fuel during launch and entering a sad looking oblong orbit, when it came time for a deorbit burn after the first orbit was achieved, The Geomancer II spacecraft only balked. It's fuel reserves were spent. While the periapsis was now below 70km, at just shy of 68 km, Bill did not have to electrical reserves onboard to stay in orbit long enough for a gradual decay. In fact, he had only an hour worth of power. It was devised then to use the capsules Emergency Abort System rockets to brake the spacecraft...something clearly listed in the manufacturers instruction manual: "Use of specialized EAS SRB's for deorbiting burns will result in voided warranty and death. If you wish to deorbit, please purchase the specialized Retro Braking System license and attached the provided DEORBIT label over the top of the ABORT label currently attached to the 'big red button'."

Just before achieving Apoapsis of the second orbit, Bill jettisoned the capsule from the rest of the craft to reduce as much mass as possible, and at reaching periapsis, he fired the five solid rocket emergency thrusters. This worked far better than anticipated, and the capsule was quickly aligned for a gentle descent to Kerbin, just a few miles north of Kerbal Space Center.

Bill Kerman landed with just under 30 minutes of usable electricity, and enjoyed a relaxing day at the beach until the "rescue" party arrived.

Researchers are working towards an effective means of power generation while in space.

Edited by jedensuscg

Nice reports! So is Jeb perma-dead, or will he reappear on the roster in a few missions, like in the vanilla game? If so, looking forward to the press release explaining how the heck he fell 67km and lived. :D

I am using TAC life support which will respawn crewmembers that die from lack of resources, I am guessing this is the same for all deaths. However, TAC's respawn timer is something like 100+ days. (Real life days. It's actually millions of seconds of game time, so I supposed I could speed this up with time warp and end up losing the rest of my crews due to starvation, depravation and straight boredom.)

Artemis Project

DG Mission Number 6:

MISSION REPORT

Date: Y1D8 00:00:14

Name: Mun Landing Assessment

Goals: To orbit the Mun and take RADAR altimetry readings of the Mun's equator to locate a suitable landing location for future missions. Also a lot of science. Further, provide a testing platform for the new cameras developed by Kanon, as they funded part of this mission.

Crew: Donglong Kerman

Craft: Artemis I - Click for Craft Data Sheet

RESEARCH SUMMARY

T1 - T3 Complete; T4 Science Tech

Research Data Retrieved: 1

New Research Completed: N/A

The Artemis project was supposed to go smoother then the Geomancer's rocky start. The mission was planned to primarily make it to the Mun and if possible enter orbit. Once complete, using a sophisticated version of Bouncy Ball Measurements all Kerbals play as a Kerbling, a RADAR Altimetry map of the Mun's equator would be created, so cartographers back on Kerbin could locate a nice flat landing location for future Mun missions...hopefully without the bouncing part.

Second on the agenda was testing the new Kanon UNFOV cameras (Ultra Narrow Field of View...these things are a big hit with the hipster crowd). In exchange for a "small donation" to Delta-G, engineers were required to place small, drag inducing cameras all over the exterior. Market Analysts see this as a major marketing coup for Kanon, as already their commercials of "First Camera in Space" are hitting the airwaves, complete with an endorsement by "Jebediah Kerman" himself, actually it's an actor... playing a ghost... of-you get the idea. "If I had one of these, I might be here today."

And of course the all important "sciency" stuff. The Business University down the road keeps reminding us "It's not where you go, but what you can create and sell on the way there. Why else have a space program?" That and all the research keeps Dane out of the cafeteria eating all the cake. No lie...About Dane eating the cake, not the cake itself. The cake is real, well unless Dane finds it, then it's...well it's still real, just shaped a whole lot differently.

Kerbin's first trip to the moon was to be done with the Artemis I rocket and the experimental Odyssey Light Launch Vehicle. Experimental was the key element here. Engineers at Delta-G piled on the power, to the point of 4 large SRB's attached to a main liquid engine. Luckily, the also newly minted Emergency Aborts System Mk2 worked, with it's more powerful separation rockets, that also happened to look far sleeker and "cool". Seconds after launch, as seen through the Kanon produced externally mounted cameras, a severe engine wobble in the SRB's turned into a low altitude suicide turn. At a mere 150 meters, Donlong Kerman hit the abort button and was propelled away from the rocket, and luckily not towards the ground.

It's back to the drawing board once again.

Edited by jedensuscg

Artemis Project

DG Mission Number 6 - Supplemental:

MISSION REPORT

Date: Y1D8 Ongoing

Name: Mun Landing Assessment Engineering 101 Redux

Goals: Find craft capable of reaching the Mun. Develop a Mun capable craft that can first leave Kerbin.

Crew: Donlong Kerman

Craft: Artemis I Mk 2,3,4 - Click for Craft Data Sheet

RESEARCH SUMMARY

T1-T3 Complete; T4 Science Tech

Research Data Retrieved: 30

New Research Completed: N/A (Missing two damned points)

After the disastrous MLA mission in which the Artemis I spacecraft departed controlled flight shortly after liftoff, a series of modifications were done to the Artemis I in an attempt to make it space worthy. The follow is a condensed mission report supplement documenting this ongoing attempt.

*After reviewing the data from the first flight, it was determined that either a software glitch, or stray piece of bubblegum, was causing the #1 Secondary Drive Engine (The small little guys at the top...cute things right?) to depart at launch. It was determined that this loss of balance is what caused the Artemis to return home before it even backed out of the garage. The second launch however, proved that, well this did nothing, and once again Donlong Kerman was hitting the abort button hard enough to knock the R off.

*It was concluded this time that perhaps four SRB's was "a little over the top eh guys?". Well, the engineering team did not not agree. They wanted four SRB's. So a compromise was made, and the design of the Artemis I was changed to a two staged SRB system, where an opposing pair of SRB's would fire, separate on burnout and the second pair would ignite. This worked a little better, and an altitude of just over 10km was reached, though the craft refused to to keep nose up attitude and drifted towards 45 degrees from the surface. Upon jettisoning the first set of SRB's and igniting the second set, what little control Donlong was maintaining over Artemis was tossed along with his lunch. Entering a high-G spin the Artemis quickly tore itself apart, this time however before Donlong could abort, the crew/lander module separated below the materials bay and landing gear(You know where it was actually intended to). So on the long descent back to Kerbin, Donlong tested out the new materials bay and took samples over Kerbin. However another flaw in the design was learned this day. The parachute could not slow the descent enough and hitting the water caused full separation and destruction of the science bay, losing all the research.

*The third iteration of the Artemis saw the removal two of the SRB's all together(Jeff, the 4 SRB guy was on "vacation" this day). The launch went the same as before, with Donlong barely able to hold the rocket pointing up. Eventually, the rocket went horizontal and started a slow wobble until it broke itself apart. With the entire landing module again intact as in the previous flight, Donlong once again opened up the materials bay on the slow descent towards another shameful landing. This time the Artemis was over land, and it was hoped the craft could be saved due to the fragile, but glue reinforced landing struts.

One initial impact in the hills of Kerbin, the capsule bounce once before rolling onto it's side, crew hatch facing the ground, trapping poor Donlong inside! But the module was intact...including the Emergency Abort System boosters! Donlong, overcome with a bout of claustrophobia, tampered with the wiring and was able to fire a single EAS booster, flipping the entire module onto it's nose, where is proceeded to spin and dance until finally landing back down on it's side, this time with the crew hatch facing the magnificent blue sky. When rescue crews arrived, Donlong was sitting on his capsule, soil sample in hand, eating a Krunch Bar.

Engineers at Delta-G decided to scrap the Artemis I in it's entirety and start from scratch on a new Mun capable craft. However the Artemis project would carry on.

Edited by jedensuscg

Geomancer Project

MISSION REPORT

Date: Y1D8 00:20:30

Name: Kerbin Materials Research

Goals: Test the new Materials Bay in Kerbin orbit while doing a proof of concept for the Mk2 Odyssey Light Launch Vehicle. Get more research done.

Crew: Bob Kerman

Craft: Geomancer III - Click for Craft Data Sheet

RESEARCH SUMMARY

T1-T3 Complete; T4 Science Tech

Research Data Retrieved: 46

New Research Completed: T4 General Construction, Flight Controls

After the failure of getting the Artemis project out of the atmosphere, it was determined to shrink things back a bit. The 6th grade engineering students at Jebediah Kerman Memorial Elementary worked on a new version of the Odyssey Light Launch Vehicle. It was determined that a high center of mass was causing all the issues.

The Geomancer III utilizes a similar command module of the Artemis, but removes the SCANsat array and adds small orbiter engine for in space maneuvers. The Odyssey Mk2 LLV itself lost the four secondary drive motors located high above the vertical centerline, and is using much smaller SRB for the initial launch phase.

The new designed worked perfectly. Bob Kerman was able to keep a beautiful ascent all the way to 11km, where he began his gravity turn and continued to raise in final orbital altitude to 118km. After a quick circularization of the orbit, Bob kicked out the last stage of the launch vehicle.

Once in a stable orbit, and taking a few selfies, Bob continued on with his research, taking readings from the attached materials bay and magnetometer. Three orbital periods later, Bob kerman used the tiny engine attached to his pod and set a trajectory that would take him to a mountainous desert region. It was determined that a water landing attempt would be inadvisable, due to the materials bay having a habit of detaching and swimming with the fishes.

After a textbook "land on the struts then the sides" landing, Bob Kerman enjoyed the desolate desert views before recovery crews arrived.

VIDEO

A short clip of the Magnetometer deploying through the MFD display, and a time warp of Kerbin through the MFD.

Edited by jedensuscg

MS8

Artemis Project

DG Mission Number: 8

MISSION REPORT

Date: Y1D8 - Y1D10

Name: Mun Unmanned Survey

Goals: To get something, ANYTHING into Mun orbit and back again. Research stuff too.

Crew: Unmanned

Craft: Observer I - Click for Craft Data Sheet

RESEARCH SUMMARY

T1-T3 Complete; T4 Science Tech, General Construction, Flight Controls

Research Data Retrieved: 150

New Research Completed: T4 Advanced Rocketry T5 Electrics

With advances in remote control and semi-smarter computers, Delta Galactic, with the help of the Institute for Robotic Learning and Domination, designed the first generation Autopilot system. For reasons unknown to all, they decided to name it MechJeb. Now anyone familiar with the circumstances behind Jebediah's untimely demise are pondering, why would we want to name a system, designed to fly the spacecraft either automatically or by giving steering commands to the crew, be named after someone who for some reason, crawled out of his command capsule during atmospheric reentry.

Also developed was the first unmanned space probe and a dedicated probe control facility to go with it.

With these new technologies in hand, engineers and planners set out to get something, ANYTHING to the Mun. They first designed the Odyssey II Light Launch Vehicle, a successor to the Odyssey I. This more powerful rocket could get a probe to the Mun and back, and with power to spare.

The new Probe, named the rather creepy Observer I, was designed to do one thing. Get to the Mun, do some high altitude research and get back to Kerbin.

The mission itself went mostly without a hitch...for once. The launch portion was dramatic. With the ultra light probe on top, and a staggering 4.6 TWR underneath, the Observer spacecraft climbed at an amazing rate. So fast infact, Probe Control was confused when the rockets speed through the upper atmosphere generated enough heat to cause a brilliant red glow in the cameras. Probe Control would have hit the abort button...if they programmed one into the Observer.

Instruments showed apoapsis at 100km before the first stage main engines even separated. Probe Control, ever eager to take a lunch, hurriedly put the probe into a lopsided 160km/75km orbit, and then set out to planning a Mun intercept.

Once the Observer burned towards a Mun encounter, Probe Control took a much deserved lunch break and waited.

Eventually, after three cheesecakes later, Observer I signaled to Probe Control. It had entered Mun's SOI. Control now worked to get Observer into a high orbit around the Mun. It was discussed about getting closer, but many were worried about the power reserves available. It was determined one orbit at 60km would be enough for this trip.

Eventually, Observer I was poking and prodding the Mun with it's Goo containers, Magnetometer and materials bay, as well as taking pictures with it's Kanon cameras.

After one and a half orbits, Observer burned on the far side of the Mun for an intercept back to Kerbin.

The rest of the trip went smooth, with Observe even showing off as it used it's newly developed Reaction Control Wheel to actually land upright, something no manned lander has done to date.

Edited by jedensuscg

Geomancer Project

DG Mission Number: 9

MISSION REPORT

Date: Y1D12 - Ongoing

Name: Kerbin Mapping and Profitability Assessment.

Goals: To position a RADAR altimetry satellite in long term polar orbit and create a low res topographical map of Kerbin which could be sold to “those outdoorsy folkâ€Â

Crew: Unmanned

Craft: Hermes I - Click for Craft Data Sheet

RESEARCH SUMMARY

T1-T4 Complete; T5 Electrics

Research Data Retrieved: 0

New Research Completed: N/A

MISSION UPDATE: Launched Hermes II into polar orbit with a 90 degree phase difference from Hermes I and 20km higher altitude.

After the unmanned mission to the Mun, Delta Galactic wanted to find a way to being monetizing space travel.

After much pondering, the board decided that current maps of Kerbin were out of date, with many of them still showing Kerbin being flat. It was devised to put a RADAR altimetry satellite in polar orbit and begin a low resolution mapping of the Kerbin surface. When enough data has been compiled, Delta Galactic would transfer the data to their sister company Delta Directions®, a start-up venture with the goal of providing maps to would be adventurers under the brand name Hermes™. Hermes™ is being marketed as the defacto mapping solution for anyone wanting to get around on Kerbin. To bypass the funding stage, Hermes was rolled into the Geomancer Project. The need for janitorial services for a new office was decided to be too costly.

The Hermes I spacecraft is the first in a series of unmanned mapping and survey satellites, and is launched on top of the Odyssey II light launch vehicle. The long term portion of the mission is achievable due to advances in sun stealing and converting technology -â€ÂSolar†power. Delta-G’s scientists assure us we are not actually “Stealing†anything from the sun, but we don’t trust them.

Initial launch of the Hermes I went well, despite confusion over what polar orbit really was. Eventually Hermes was situated in a 207km polar orbit and began taking RADAR Altimetry data. For several days Delta Galactic Probe Control just watched with fascination as Hermes began sending back mapping data. Eventually everyone got hungry and left the satellite to “do it’s thingâ€Â

A full map of Kerbin is forthcoming.

Edited by jedensuscg

• 1 month later...

With my PCS move the last month taking up most of my time(and my computer) and the release of .24, Delta Galactic is shutting down. I am working on a new project however, something more limited in scope. Thanks for reading and happy rocketing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.