clamp a tron Sr.

Are you sure you have it on docking-side out?

Seriously, you'd be surprised how often that happens, even to the best of us.

Hmm, I wonder. There's a red line that was added to the texture of the probe-sized stack decoupler to indicate the side that will be left clean (should be up if using it to stage a rocket "normally"), and the 1.25m and 2.5m decouplers have arrows pointing to the same effect.

I bet a similar solution for the clamp-o-tron Sr. would help a lot, as they really can be hard to tell which side is up when in the VAB or SPH.

Side bonus, if it uses 4 arrows pointing toward the side with the docking port on it, they would work as alignment indicators too.

- edit -

Who let that ninja in here?

Also, with docking ports in general, sometimes you need to kill your SAS to allow the final connection. SAS has a knack for keeping you just 'stable' enough to keep an eccentric angle that prevents full-pairing of ports. That, and I've also had success with rolling one ship (q/e) in connecting ports.

-Khorso

been having a problem using them to dock larger craft, they simple do no seem to work at all.

Is there a problem with them?

There is no known new problem with them.

Right side out is essential as well as lining your ship correctly to let them dock as Sr. docking ports' magnetism is only active at relative small distance.

They can become jammed eventually after some unsuccessful docking attempts where they magnetized but were not allowed to dock. In such a case it might be necessary to edit the persistence/quicksave file to get them working again.

In any case, a well lit screenshot of your docking attempts might definitely help figuring out the issue.

I agree, pictures! (They keep us from guessing about everything.) So I guess I'll put my guesses below.

I bet a similar solution for the clamp-o-tron Sr. would help a lot, as they really can be hard to tell which side is up when in the VAB or SPH.

Side bonus, if it uses 4 arrows pointing toward the side with the docking port on it, they would work as alignment indicators too.

The docking side of all the docking ports has a lighter, thin gray ring around it. It's not obvious enough on the Sr port till you actually notice it, but once you see it, it's easier to tell. Also, there are single ladder handles in tri-symmetry around the Sr port that can aid in alignment. Although I agree that it could all be a little more obvious.

Anyway, also make certain that nothing is in or around the port. They don't like it and it can cause problems (especially if things are clipped). In addition to making sure the port is facing the right way, make sure you didn't accidentally connect the wrong node to the ship. Again, with the Sr ports, it is sometimes easy to accidentally connect the top node to a ship, even though it's facing the right way and you meant to connect the bottom node.

Other people have said to make sure the SAS is off. And if your ships are long or heavy, make sure the faces are coming in very flat to each other. Heavy/long ships are hard for the magnets to swing around to complete the docking.

Thanks for the help and Yea apparently I do not know up for down.... errrr no no lets blame it ont he assembly engineer yea YEA that's it I TOLD THEM TO FOLLOW THE BLUEPRINTS.....

Not only that I placed it wrong on both ships..... New KPS remember Sr docking ports do have a UP or down.

These things happen? THESE THINGS HAPPEN!? Well, until you STOP these things happening, THIS thing does NOT happen!

(not really, but it WOULD be nice to have a better indicator of which side is the docking side, and bonus points if you can use it for alignment!)

In addition to installing them backwards, a lot of people put them upside down. The grab handles on the rim should be at 2:00, 6:00, 10:00

I've always interpreted the small grey rectangle on every docking port as a window that should be on the top and visible when it's mounted correctly.

In addition to installing them backwards, a lot of people put them upside down. The grab handles on the rim should be at 2:00, 6:00, 10:00

Installing them upside down won't stop them from functioning, though. Just a bit tricky to use with docking indicators if you're matching roll. That said, I put them on right side up, too (use A/D instead of W/S to flip them over if necessary).

The matter is, if the docking port orientation bothers you, you'll learn soon enough to install them right. And if it doesn't bother you, why bother?

I had a problem with docking port orientation once when I put it on spaceplane and then I found that when using chase camera with control on the port I get the plane tail up and it gets in the way. But for rockets I don't care at all how the port is oriented even if I need to align features of my station.

You run modless though, IIRC. Some of the docking mods (Docking Alignment Indicator for one, probably others, too) have a roll indicator that works best if the ports are properly aligned for the desired orientation.

Either way though, you're right that if it matters to you, you quickly learn to do it right.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.