Superconductor radiation shielding

Winter Man

So I had a thought the other day. Superconductors exhibit the Meissner effect which excludes the magnetic field from their interior. Moving charged particles generate a magnetic field. Would a superconductor 'exclude' charged particles that tried to move through it, e.g. high energy cosmic rays?

Superconductors aren't my area, but my department has good condensed matter people. I can ask around to see if there have been any serious breakthroughs with HTSCs.

But in either case, SCs would make for very poor shielding. The problem is that they only shield up to a critical field strength. There are some cryogenic SCs that can hold a strong mag field at 2K or so, and that's what they use in accelerators, but HTSCs are crap at it without exception. A high energy charged particle will exceede critical fields locally, force a transition to normal state, and just keep going. SC will probably provide better shielding than same material in normal, non-superconducting state, but not by enough. Your best bet in shielding from charged particles is still Compton Scattering, and that just scales with density. So grab a chunk of led, or depleted uranium if you can afford it, and build your shielding out of that. (Now that is my area.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.