What if we created portal from Venus to Earth?

raxo2222

What if we placed one portal on surface of Venus and other one in South Pole under 3 km of ice? Portals would be linked with each other, so everything could go freely in both directions.

I know, that pressure on Earth and Venus would eventually equalize in long run, but what would happen before?

I think that that would depend on how big the portal was.

The ice would melt then boil due to the high temp, the steam would then (Assuming it's an ideal gas) have a pressure much greater than the surface of venus, and flow back to venus. How long it took the ice to disappear would then depend on the size of the portal.

Edited by No one

If you put the portal on a corresponding depth of Earth's sea, and that's roughly 920 metres, pressures would be roughly the same.

3 km under the ice, that would be a much greater pressure than on Venus, so there'd be a flow towards Venus.

I think the transfer of heat would still eventually wreck the Earth, regardless of pressure difference. A tiny part of Earth would essentially be MUCH closer to the sun. There's one way to say we have "human-induced global warming."

As said, the pressure on the surface of Venus is 92bar, equivalent to 920m of water, 10% more for ice. Let's say 1km.

The ice would fall through the portal, causing large cracks. When the ice above the portal nears 1km, the process would slow down, but hot Venus air would seep through the cracks, relatively slowly at first (long narrow cracks), but faster and faster as the ice melts.

The ice sheet would get thinner very quickly, and after a few hours or maybe days, a relatively vertical well would form over the portal, spewing large amounts of Venus atmosphere, which would take a very long time to be noticed. 10m is relatively small, and it would spew gas at a rate comparable to an active volcano.

Why between Venus & Earth? A portal between Venus & Mars might actually be productive. Each world might benefit to some degree, at least in terms of atmospheric density and temperatures; with the idea of ultimately terraforming both.

I am not sure of the consequences of gravity in the middle of the portal and what angle would had with respect the planets.

The only that I can said, is that at begining the ice would melt, and water will go to venus, and we would get more venus hot co2, until a hole opens in the ice surfuce and all the process becomes faster until both planets had 45 atm pressure and similar temperature to venus.

Lemme quote XKCD:

What would happen if you opened a portal between Boston (sea level) and Mexico City (elev. 8000+ feet)?

â€â€Jake G.

Bernoulli’s principle gives us this estimate of the air flow rate:

Flow rate=sqrt(2×(Sea level pressure−Mexico City pressure)/Density of air)=440 mph

That’s fast enough to strip up the pavement from a parking lot. I suggest we put it in Kendall Squareâ€â€the MIT folks are probably used to dealing with this kind of thing.

Now, the pressure differential between sea level and Mexico City is only about 0.25 bars, as opposed to 90 bars.

The equation used breaks down for mach numbers above 0.3, but suffice to say that after the ice melted the airflow would probably be well above the speed of sound.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.