Lightweight Grand Tour

Let me introduce my Grand Tour travel in KSP universe with very light ship: start mass - 264t, start ship mass on LKO - only 40.1t (385 details), almost all landings in one universal ion lander (except Eve and Tylo, additional stage for Laythe). Travel route:

Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, Gilly, Eve, Moho, Ike, Dune, Laythe, Pol, Bop, Tylo, Vall, Eeloo, Dres, Kerbin.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Craft version 2 is here: http://www./download/e1vny27b2854dds/Grand+Tour+mk2.craft

Corrections:

1. Repaired struts on Eve lander

2. Added more xenon for Eve transfer stage (planned route was - Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, Gilly, Eve, Moho, Ike, Dune, Dres, Laythe, Tylo, Vall, Bop, Pol, Eeloo, Kerbin)

3. Added ladder for Tylo lander

Edited by Mesklin

• 2 weeks later...

Now I'm impressed, I did a grand tour myself with 100 ton from LKO and thought that was small. Bonus for landing with the pod.

However the Eve lander confuses me a bit, why does it have wings? I thought you would take off as a plane using ion engines and climb out of the worst of the atmosphere then disconnect the wings and ions and get into orbit with the accent stage.

One tips might be to launch this as a plane to reduce the pad weight a lot.

Impressive work! I like how you managed to perform a "grand tour" with such a small vessel. I especially enjoyed your Eve lander; using wings to land is an ingenious idea!

However, you may have some competition when it comes to the "lightest" grand tour... :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.