What will happen to the earth if soviet win space race?

piggysanTH

I believe that in reality if the USSR had won the race to the moon it would have been a huge embarrassment to the USA but the USSR would still have collapsed and would not exist today. That is just my opinion but the famous science fiction writer Arthur C Clarke in the 2001: A Space Odyssey series imagines a world were the USSR still exists (and I think had won the race to the moon, but I can't remember) which gives a very interesting view on your question.

No difference I think...

The general point of the space race was to put strain onto the economies of both the involved parties. Winning thus was not a question of getting there first but getting further without collapsing the economy. The same was done by arming booth states with ever more complex weapons systems. If the soviet union had gotten to the moon first (or at all) the race would have gone on to Venus or Mars. Eventually soviet economy must lose to a capitalistic system, it works better in practice.

If you look at it from this perspective, the space race was actually science turned into a weapon of war directly (without applying it to cause destruction first). Fascinating...

I believe that in reality if the USSR had won the race to the moon it would have been a huge embarrassment to the USA but the USSR would still have collapsed and would not exist today. That is just my opinion but the famous science fiction writer Arthur C Clarke in the 2001: A Space Odyssey series imagines a world were the USSR still exists (and I think had won the race to the moon, but I can't remember) which gives a very interesting view on your question.

Clarke was hardly the only person who imagined the Soviets still existing in 2001. The collapse of the USSR was sudden and unexpected (in the West, at least); Clarke wasn't projecting forward "if the Soviets win, they'll still be around", he was just assuming that they'd still be around because it was a fairly standard assumption (assuming what actually happened, i.e. they'd be *gone* without a nuclear war having happened, would have been unusual).

the soviets won the space race if viewed in a over all perspective... Rusia not use USA technologies in his rockets, The russian rockets are more reliable and cheap than USA rockets, USA uses the soyuz to get crew the ISS and use soviet designed motors in some rocket. and they plan more. they dont place a rover in mars, not reached to jupiter & saturn, and not placed a man in a moon, but the soviet rocket technology always be ahead of the USA with more achieves.

a lot of things... the only outback is the fall of the CCCP but space machines like POLYUS not superated by nothing yet.

Edited by SUJETO

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.