New build going... "Instant Space Station".

Thanks to an interesting technical challenge I ran into on another thread, I've finally designed a superpowerful engine cluster that can lift very heavy loads. One the Kraken doesn't instantly shred on the launch pad. Yes, using all stock parts and some creative non-debug-menu clipping.

2ax9SI1.png

I'm a little shocked with how powerful these are. Those stacks are just under two times the internal height of the VAB. And, good lord! As you can see, it'd be the first I'd have to throttle down during launch for the sake of fuel conservation.

In the end there will be more than just these three stacks, and it will feature vegetable.

#EDIT: I still can't get over how absurd this all is.

#EDIT2: Another fun technical challenge, also solved: With such large stacks, I cannot simply let them go. They have to be shoved aside. They're too long and they always strike the central column. So I'll need seperatrons. I've made custom seperatrons before, but the nature of this build demands they be on the inside portion, not stick out a lot, and absolutely NOT destroy other stacks with their thrust. So... this:

YccwWbO.png

Made a mock-up of a stack, gave it the same proximity, and gave it a whirl. Worked like a charm. Build continues!

Edited by Whackjob

Are you using eight LV-T30s as sepratrons?

... maybe.

How many tones does it lift to LKO?

Not gonna have any idea until the build is done. The idea mostly is that this will be a one-launch fuel depot or starship fuel and engine module. There's a docking point senior up top centre. I figure people can either build a starship with it or a space station. Or Munar lander or whatever.

#EDIT: Moved to spacecraft exchange? There's no spacecraft to exchange yet! I figured the point of this thread was to share the building tricks I'm coming up with. =\

Edited by Whackjob

Can we see this engine cluster? It sounds intriguing.

Yessir.

6QbImsq.png

Here's how I made it. First I took the tiny strut cube. I put one on the tank. Then I place that engine on it where it has two nozzles and is also a fuel tank. Then I grab the cube, and make it a subcomponent. Then I change symmetry to x8, grab that subcomponent, place it on the engine, then rotate it so it's inside the tank. I lower it until the nozzles protrude. Purely for aesthetics, really. I then do this two more times at slightly different angles, for a total of twenty four of those engines for 48,000 thrust. The last and hard part is connecting fuel lines. Three times at 8x symmetry, I connect a hose outside the tank, then peek inside via creative camera work, and attach it to a tank.

End result? Vroom vroom.

#EDIT: Those end trusses are just a kickstand. Not using launch clamps.

#EDIT2: Ignore the fuel lines outside connecting to those truss boxes. That part was scrapped. Found out it didn't work and made the fuel flow break.

im currentley too shocked by that engine cluster to say much (partly because ive also dropped my jaw) so i will say this:

that is perhaps the greatest engine ive ever seen. :P

sIx4cBJ.png

Cooked this up and am considering releasing it as a subassembly launcher for folks. 136,000 thrust.

#EDIT: Apparently I'm an idiot who can't math. Those at the bottom are three WJMx24 motors, each with 48,000 thrust. So that's 144,000 thrust.

Edited by Whackjob

Ok, think I got curse figured out. Uploaded the Whackjob fun pack #1. Has a bunch of cluster engines, two launch systems, and my custom seperatron. Will link if they don't shoot that one down also.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.