1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

That's... really sad. I've always wanted to try building a rover that's just down right insane in its size and scope. We're talking about something like a large structure on several spider-leg style stilts stretching out to the sides each with their own array of tracks and/or wheels. Time to see just how many of these things can be working together on a single craft before lo-fi's code goes berserk.

By making some really awesome wheels that don't suck. Trust me, I've learned from experience that the stock rover wheels are all more likely to get you killed anywhere in the Kerbin system than any other situation, including losing your booster stack beneath the capsule.

They'll be released fairly soon, Horus.

I know, Gaalidas, I'm still staggered. BTW, I got bored and decided to create something completely insane again... Sorry. I just can't help it. Details later...

EDIT (Some time later): Z821n60.png

Yep, asymmetric tracks. That's a single part. The plugin was always coded with this in mind, but they're a *%*(£+)*£ to set up, so this set will probably be the only set I'll ever make. Yes, I know you want to make a Thundertank now, you'll have to wait until they're finished ;)

Other than that, I'm just waiting on some textures, then everything is good to go for beta release :)

BTW, Gaalidas. The software you're using doesn't seem to realise the importance of braces, and it took me some head scratching to realise why the suspension had turned to jelly on all the tracks and wheels ;) I have a feeling I know why your dll's keeps failing to load too: "print(System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetName().Version);" This pulls the version info from AssemblyInfo.cs, which I don't think is copied with the source. Try commenting that line out where you find it and you may well find your compiled versions start working again.

Edited by lo-fi

Hey guys, maybe ive found something bug'ish, in career mode tweakscale seems to inflate the measurements of tracks and wheels. Visually they are correct, but if i had to guess id say it resizes the colliders. When VAB and SPH are not fully upgraded yet, if i put tracks on a vehicle sometimes it tells me i cannot launch because the vehicle is too big, but the sizes it tells me are just ridiculous like 8m, 10m and 56m, so one axis is way off. When i remove the tracks / wheels the axis size returns to a normal of lets say 5m. I guess its more of a tweakscale problem but maybe you can have a look if you can reproduce and circumvent it. Or contact the tweakscale guy to fix it on his side.

Cheers

PS.: KF_dev repo, TS_v1.50

Edited by Haifi

Hmmm, that's a very tricky one. It's also possible that the same bounds detection bug that makes the editor icons go all tiny is to blame, so it may not be TS at all, and actually a KSP bug... Well caught, I hadn't even thought of this, and I don't play career so wouldn't have seen it. Could you do me a favour and do a little config edit to rule out TS issues? In the config for one of the sets of tracks you've had a problem with, remove the tweakscale module, reload the game and try again?

Cheers dude. Got a nasty feeling this is going to be a KSP bug I can do nothing about, though (other than report it again).

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/408/Space%20Tug

Awesome, isn't it! IVA is unfinished - needs props and texture, I believe - but it's going to be beautiful when it's finished. That whole space tug is really cool, well worth checking out.

Yes, .90 compatible. I forgot to update the OP before

love the tracks... also the model rework thread for IR has these landing legs which i messed around with and suddenly this happened...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

STARCRAFT LIVES!!

this took me 5 mins tops so don't judge i just looked at the legs and saw the tracks and i had to build it quick before i lost the idea

also lo-fi i would love to know why your mod doesn't surpoort tweakscale... i'm more curious than upset here :P

Edited by AntiMatter001

Hehe, that's cool!

The currently released ;) version doesn't support TS because TS is an ass to setup on complex parts, particularly those with wheels colliders.

I actually had to recode some parts of the plugin to make it work properly.

Hey lofi, i come with bad news. It seems its not TS thats causing the colliders to inflate. After removing the TS module from the config file its still the same off axis size as before. Guess youre right and its our old friend KSP-bug rearing its ugly head...

Regards

They'll be released fairly soon, Horus.

I know, Gaalidas, I'm still staggered. BTW, I got bored and decided to create something completely insane again... Sorry. I just can't help it. Details later...

EDIT (Some time later): http://i.imgur.com/Z821n60.png

Yep, asymmetric tracks. That's a single part. The plugin was always coded with this in mind, but they're a *%*(£+)*£ to set up, so this set will probably be the only set I'll ever make. Yes, I know you want to make a Thundertank now, you'll have to wait until they're finished ;)

Other than that, I'm just waiting on some textures, then everything is good to go for beta release :)

BTW, Gaalidas. The software you're using doesn't seem to realise the importance of braces, and it took me some head scratching to realise why the suspension had turned to jelly on all the tracks and wheels ;) I have a feeling I know why your dll's keeps failing to load too: "print(System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetName().Version);" This pulls the version info from AssemblyInfo.cs, which I don't think is copied with the source. Try commenting that line out where you find it and you may well find your compiled versions start working again.

Dang... Yeah, there was always a file missing that it complained about in the beginning when loading the project for the first time. I thought I'd taken care of that. oh, well. I'll look through it again. As for the braces, they really aren't all that necessary... except for the fact that, to make it work without braces, you need everything to be aligned just right so that the compiler knows what the heck you want. It also requires that the result is only a single line of code, otherwise hold on to those braces. Anyway, I was just trying out suggestions made by the software. I'm sure not all of them are supported fully by other software packages. One feature it keeps trying to get me to do is changing things like "if (var1 != 0)" into a check against something it calls "epsilon" which, when compiling, complains that it has no freakin clue what epsilon is and fails the build. Really annoying that it keeps asking me to do that when it doesn't work.

Still, I would have thought that if the line which pulls from assemblyinfo.cs wasn't functioning that it would have thrown an error. Besides, I've been recompiling your code with my own little additions for quite some time now and this is a brand new issue.

EDIT: Oh yeah, new tracks. awesome stuff... just needs a frame and such. I look forward to struggling... err... okay that's actually the right term... struggling with the stack node placement and tweakscale integration.

EDIT2: Yeah, found 5 references to that version printing thingie. I'll give it a try later when i have more time to test it. You must have added that pretty recently then, I suppose. Oddly enough, I don't even remember seeing that line when I was browsing the code.

EDIT3: Okay, I noticed something that needs to be addressed in the way of textures for two of the parts. As it stands, there are three texture files that are being distributed which are not referenced by the part configuration or the model. In "TrackRBIInverting" the file named "model003_NRM" is not used. In "TrackRBITiny" the files named "model001" and "model003_NRM" are not used. These offending textures should probably be removed before the package is put together for a release.

Edited by Gaalidas

"currently released"... does that mean we got the micro tracks now....? or do you just mean this version (1.7)

Proper TS support in the forthcoming release.

Are those new tracks hiding in the Dev Kit yet? I could see myself having some fun with it...

At the moment, quarantined in the 'here be dragons' corner of the dev section. I had to do some seriously crazy stuff to make all that work, so things got a little bumpy for a while. Thankfully, all seems to be sorted, so they'll be in dev for you to play with (though unfinished as yet) shortly.

Hey lofi, i come with bad news. It seems its not TS thats causing the colliders to inflate. After removing the TS module from the config file its still the same off axis size as before. Guess youre right and its our old friend KSP-bug rearing its ugly head...

Regards

I had a feeling you'd say that. The only thing that can be done is to get Squad to fix the bounds detection issue (whatever it is). I'll see if anyone here has any bright ideas, though...

Dang... Yeah, there was always a file missing that it complained about in the beginning when loading the project for the first time. I thought I'd taken care of that. oh, well. I'll look through it again. As for the braces, they really aren't all that necessary... except for the fact that, to make it work without braces, you need everything to be aligned just right so that the compiler knows what the heck you want. It also requires that the result is only a single line of code, otherwise hold on to those braces. Anyway, I was just trying out suggestions made by the software. I'm sure not all of them are supported fully by other software packages. One feature it keeps trying to get me to do is changing things like "if (var1 != 0)" into a check against something it calls "epsilon" which, when compiling, complains that it has no freakin clue what epsilon is and fails the build. Really annoying that it keeps asking me to do that when it doesn't work.

Still, I would have thought that if the line which pulls from assemblyinfo.cs wasn't functioning that it would have thrown an error. Besides, I've been recompiling your code with my own little additions for quite some time now and this is a brand new issue.

EDIT: Oh yeah, new tracks. awesome stuff... just needs a frame and such. I look forward to struggling... err... okay that's actually the right term... struggling with the stack node placement and tweakscale integration.

EDIT2: Yeah, found 5 references to that version printing thingie. I'll give it a try later when i have more time to test it. You must have added that pretty recently then, I suppose. Oddly enough, I don't even remember seeing that line when I was browsing the code.

EDIT3: Okay, I noticed something that needs to be addressed in the way of textures for two of the parts. As it stands, there are three texture files that are being distributed which are not referenced by the part configuration or the model. In "TrackRBIInverting" the file named "model003_NRM" is not used. In "TrackRBITiny" the files named "model001" and "model003_NRM" are not used. These offending textures should probably be removed before the package is put together for a release.

It's been a few weeks since I added the auto version increment, I guess. The Epsilon thing is possibly a performance thing - I'll look into it. I suspect it may be a moot point in my code, as most of those kind of checks are done once at start of flight, rather than every physics frame which might be cause for concern. Overall, the suggestions were good, though, particularly the missing the const declaration for the static strings. I'll get onto removing the unused textures right away, though I'm aware there's more work setting up model nodes for the tracks that share track surface textures, of which there are now quite a few.

EDIT: Thanks for the TS update for the gear - was a bit stuck with that until I learned a few bits setting up the Thundertank track. I have found that inverse scaling things in one axis to 'mirror' them is utterly futile when they have any kind of worky bits. Wings would be OK, wheels are not. Thankfully, I have a solution, much as it's horrendously difficult to set up :/ RBI stuff is now all updated. One of the models had an unused texture, the other was an export snafu due to the map not being marked as a normal map.

Edited by lo-fi