Discounts on KSP

Javster

As you may know, the Steam Summer Sale is going on at the moment. Many games are discounted during this time. It has various short events where a small selection of games are discounted further, so many can be bought at low prices. The majority of games are discounted by 60-75% of their original price. How is it that Kerbal Space Program is NEVER discounted beyond 40% ANYWHERE? I've seen it discounted on the Humble Store, for examaple. 40% off.

The game is currently (as of 25/06/2014 18:54) on a Daily Deal. At 40% off.

Looking at the games currently on a Daily Deal (as of 25/06/2014 19:00):

25% -1

40% -1

50% -3

75% -4

7 out of the 9 games on there are at or below half off. Also notice that the other games are ALL at a quarter, two quarters, or three quarters off. Yet KSP lingers at this neither-here-nor-there 40%.

This is very weird, but the weirdest thing is that it never goes below this 40% mark. Has the game been turned into an exclusively moneymaking scheme? Are the developers afraid of dropping the price their too-expensive-to-many-of-my-friends-who-I-have-asked-about game to at least half price?

Come on are you serious?

you can't even take your significant other to go watch a crappy 2.5 hour Hollywood movie anymore.

Or take your family to A McDonald's poison shop for less than 20 bucks...

Edited by malkuth

The majority of games on Steam are complete. The developers spent the money ages ago, and if it's a big name title that's not super-recent then they've probably long since recouped that cost. KSP is not complete, Squad are still developing it and incurring the costs of doing so.

Recall that KSP has historically increased its price after certain milestone releases. From what I understand, they are refraining from going lower than $15 or so since that's what the price was back before the game was even on Steam, and it's a decision to not 'step on the toes' of people who contributed to it back in those earlier days. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Perhaps because 40% is enough to push the game consistently into the Steam Top-Sellers (even during the Summer Sale, which is a considerable achievement) list whilst still providing a decent income for Squad to continue development.

Edited by Epthelyn

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.