Less memory usage by using OpenGL

Eisfunke

I am running a i5 8GB RAM 500GB HDD 7200RPM 760GTX Nvidia GPU, Updated!

OpenGL reduces my memory usage with the number of mods I run from about 2.8GB with ATM Basic, to around 2.1GB.

Currently in my .25 install I am running these mods.

B9

ATM Basic

BDArmory

TTWheels

Procedural Wings

Procedural Tanks

Spanners Weapons

RT2

TAC Lifesupport

EVE

RetroFuture

DRE

MKIV Spaceplane parts

Mechjeb

KER

Kerbinside complete

KAX

Firespitter

KAS

IR

KSPX

BDarmory adjustable wheels

and a few others.

Edited by Hodo

Just noticed the lack of shadows, but if the choice is between having shadows and being able to play the game for longer than 10 minutes, I choose playing the game.

I use AMD 7750x2

It is a double edged sword, some people report choppy simulation/physics time when in Opengl. This is why I switched back to D3D. My sim time twitched between green and yellow even with a 5 part rocket.

Is there any visual feedback that lets you know you are actually in OpenGL (like text or anything?)

The top of ksp.log will tell you what renderer it's trying to use. Line 7 of mine:

SM: 50 (Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0])

If OGL doesn't work and you have DX9 issues it's still worth trying DX11 - I had to turn atmo effects down to minimum & there are a few other issues, but it's mostly playable. Maybe not if you have a Minmus base...

I'm having a problem with fullscreen mode where part of the screen is blocked off by some sort of black rectangle. Anybody have any ideas? This only happens in fullscreen mode.

I have the same problem if I use ALT RETURN to go into full screen window, this is not well centered and remains lower than the screen, and graphics that is all set to maximum, it becomes like it was 640x480

I7-3770 CPU @ 3:40 GHz

16 GB ram

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 with drive updated

HELP ME ;.;

Try turning off antialiasing. I had flimmers and 3/4screen black. Works fine after turning off antialiasing

Through KSP or through Nvidia? I have antialiasing off in KSP settings? :huh:

EDIT: For now I'm just going to run in borderless window mode since it looks the same as fullscreen.

Edited by tygoo7

I had a little issue with the GUI in the start up but once I clicked where the links should have been the game fired up fine and worked like it was when I installed it with the X64 version. This is not a Linux box BTW.

Update....well having tried to load my campaign portion the game just sits there and hangs up and will not let me do anything. I guess it is time to load up Linux and get that working for a smoother experience.

Edited by reschke

Through KSP or through Nvidia? I have antialiasing off in KSP settings? :huh:

EDIT: For now I'm just going to run in borderless window mode since it looks the same as fullscreen.

through ksp. If I do an alt-tab when ksp is loading the loading screen turns black, if I don't, the ksp menu turns to white 3/4 quarter screen flimmering. After alt-tab back to windows the game runs fine.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CommandLineArguments.htmlcheck this out, force open d3d11 works except the shows and sph and vab ground markings dont show up, but it stops the game from crashing, d3d9 doesnt work

tempory opengl fix

1.make a ksp shortcut

2. Run the game

3. Go to setting then graphics

4. Disable full screen

5. Close ksp

6. Right click the ksp shortcut you made

7. Click onproperties

8. In target, put -force-opengl -popupwindow %command%

9. Press apply and ok

10. Run ksp and enjoy

if that doesnt work, try this instead --force-opengl -popupwindow %command%

the game should run in fullscreen and when you hit the windows key, your taskbar should come up and to hide it, press the game screen again

Edited by SparkyFox

I think I've solved. In the settings of Steam I write "-force-OpenGL-popupwindow", and the flicker disappears, but there remained the problem of aliasing, with very stylized curves

Going in the video card settings I excluded antialiasing of KSP and I did manage the NVidia GTX 970 with a factor 4, now you see well as in directx

In normal mode, I crashed with ATM Basic for using too much Ram, now in OpenGL I have deleted ATM and the RAM is about 3.1 GB : Cool:

Sorry for my English :(

I think I've solved. In the settings of Steam I write "-force-OpenGL-popupwindow", and the flicker disappears, but there remained the problem of aliasing, with very stylized curves

Going in the video card settings I excluded antialiasing of KSP and I did manage the NVidia GTX 970 with a factor 4, now you see well as in directx

In normal mode, I crashed with ATM Basic for using too much Ram, now in OpenGL I have deleted ATM and the RAM is about 3.1 GB : Cool:

Sorry for my English :(

Ive tried that, also you might want to add%command% so when you press windows, it minimises also, itdoesn't work on 32bit 90

How about using -force-d3d11? Works wonders for me. Vanilla ksp.exe crashes during loading but using -force-d3d11 it works fine. 2.15GB RAM usage when ksp.exe -force-d3d11, versus crashing on loading usin vanilla ksp.exe

But how do you get the shadows to render?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.