What has KSP taught you?

michaelphoenix22

They can, but for artistic reasons, most space-based Hollywood projectile weapons fire projectiles that are often slower than real in-atmosphere projectiles. I think that's the point being stated.

True. But it's true not only in sci-fi movies. It's a general problem with hollywood - projectiles slow down, whatever these are laser bolts, missiles, cannons, guns, or even arrows - you can see pretty much all of them being slowed down in this or the other movie.

To every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. You might be able to recover/redirect the energy in the propellant that's left over when it's done its job, but the more massive projectile itself still got pushed off at some velocity, and there will be an equal push-back on the firing platform (minus gas recoil compensation). If you want to have space-based weaponry that isn't projected energy based and doesn't disturb the orbit of the launching platform, you'll either need to fire projectiles in both directions, or stick to self-propelled projectiles (rockets).

I believe someone did the maths already and batteries of Iowa-class firing boardside would accelerate it to the speed measured in milimeters per second if fired in vaccume.

Projectiles and gasses leaving the ship have extremely low weight comparing to the weight of the space ship itself, so even at high speed - they are not a big problem. Spaceships build for combat tend to have very powerful maneuvering thrusters unlike civilian ships we have now, so they should be more than capable to compensate for firing ammunition even on a low thrust.

Edited by Sky_walker

Make sure you fire the kerbal who keeps programming the launch clamps into the wrong stage (couple of OMG moments when the clamps are on their own stage and I didn't triple check the staging)

The thing I learned from KSP: NASA would have gotten a whole lot further if they had the budget the DOD has.

It taught me how hard space flight really is, particularly rendezvous and doling. When a Soyuz flies to the ISS it just seems like (from the articles) that thy just launch to orbit and then poof! They're at the station. KSP made me appreciate space flight more than I used to.

It also got me interested in space flight all over again, and I found out alot that I wouldn't know if t weren't for a) google and B) KSP. Like how much the space shuttle sucks:P now I want to be an astronaut when I grow up (I'm a teen). So thank you ksp:)

It taught me that I can enjoy math. I avoided taking a single math class through my entire undergraduate degree aside from the mandatory stats class- and that was a nightmare.

Now, in KSP, I crunch numbers for fun. Thanks SQUAD for making math fun. I'm still woefully challenged by it however.

I also always pay attention to space related news now as well, and have bought a book on the history of space probe exploration just to emulate it in-game; and learn from the book as I do.

Who else brings up terms like perigee/periapse in conversations now? Goodness...

-Khorso

Honestly I've never learned more from a game. Just having an intuitive grasp of orbital mechanics is crazy to me, but adding everything I've learned about TWR and dV and designing and coordinating complex missions... really, devs, this game is amazing.

It taught me that I can enjoy math. I avoided taking a single math class through my entire undergraduate degree aside from the mandatory stats class- and that was a nightmare.

Now, in KSP, I crunch numbers for fun. Thanks SQUAD for making math fun. I'm still woefully challenged by it however.

I also always pay attention to space related news now as well, and have bought a book on the history of space probe exploration just to emulate it in-game; and learn from the book as I do.

Who else brings up terms like perigee/periapse in conversations now? Goodness...

-Khorso

I love KSP but still hate math. It's not that I'm bad at it. It's just too boring. I wing that stuff in KSP! No need to calculate when you can eyeball it!

I love KSP but still hate math. It's not that I'm bad at it. It's just too boring. I wing that stuff in KSP! No need to calculate when you can eyeball it!

​Relevant

Thought you might get a kick out of that xD

Edited by Indy

I loved those games other than the ending to 3.

Same here mate

But to get back on topic, another thing I have learned from KSP:

I love rockets. No for real, I really love rockets. I'm paying a lot closer attention to news about NASA and space in general.

KSP taught me that lithobreaking is for the profesionals.... and Jeb XD.

And its better to spend a few hours testing every component of your ships before launching than to spend several hours redoing a mission because of something stupid like ladders or improper staging.

You can survive falling on concrete at 100 mph

Landspeeders are the most practical form of transportation.

Water is death

Except if you crash your landspeeder into it at 400 mph, then it is safe.

Submarines don't work.

Any car that goes faster than 60 mph is powered by witchcraft or rockets.

A spacesuit is an entirely self-contained indefinite life-sustenance system. You cannot starve, suffocate, get dehydrated, get burned by sun exposure, or be poisoned by eating green ice.

Everything has 50 kg of explosives in it, whether it is a 5 kg strut or a 50000 kg fuel tank.

I learned about a hobby! :D I always liked space before KSP, then when I found KSP, I opened my eyes to the true glory that goes on behind the rocket launches it makes it truely inspiring!

Laugh a little it makes the 'splosions more awesome!

I learned:

1. The Kraken is the One True God, and He demands regular sacrifice.

2. You can start from the ground on Kerbin, go to Eve, land there, take off, return to Kebin, and land safely just by climbing a ladder.

3. Any given thing in the universe only feels the gravity of 1 other thing at a time.

4. All problems relating to rockets can be solved with sufficient application of boosters and struts.

5. All problems relating to spaceplaces can be solved with sufficient application of intakes.

6. You can do a header off the top of the VAB and walk away unharmed.

7. Solid steel I-beams actually make the best pontoons for seaplanes.

8. When you die, you get reincarnated after a few days like nothing happened.

Anyway, having learned all this, I feel quite confident in my ability to just walk in off the street and get the job of running NASA :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.