Launch rocket with crew in the science lab?

I just got my rocket into nicely aligned Kerbin orbit only to discover the that the science module needs at least two crew! That's pretty upsetting! Can I launch with a crew member inside the lab or am I going to need to add another command module? Oh boy!

Edited by THX1138

Rendezvous is beyond my skill level but I did find that I could add Kerbals prior to launch by clicking on the launch pad, selecting the saved vehicle and dragging Kerbals over. Thanks!

In the VAB/SPH the third tab at the top-right of the screen assigns crew for the next launch (the first two are parts and action groups). Usually clicking the launch pad or runway is the easier option though, yes.

In the VAB/SPH the third tab at the top-right of the screen assigns crew for the next launch (the first two are parts and action groups). Usually clicking the launch pad or runway is the easier option though, yes.

It's the top left in my game, are you using a mod that rearranges things?

Is there any way to add crew whilst the craft is on the launch pad?

You can do this by launching a separate craft with the desired crew in it. They can then enter the original ship via EVA. If your ship has no ladders, you might have to hack gravity to get them up there. In my experience, it's easier to revert the flight on the launchpad and add the crew in the usual way in the VAB.

It's the top left in my game, are you using a mod that rearranges things?

8~0

I'll have you know I taught navigation in the Army and have navigation qualifications for ships and aircraft as well.

Apparently I can't tell left from right though *sigh*. There's no clever mods or any excuses I'm afraid. Shoot me, I'm getting old.

Next up - retrograde burns for Duna rendezvous.

Rendezvous is beyond my skill level...

It really isn't. It's all in your mind. If you can get into orbit, you can rendezvous.

I used to think the same thing, but it turns out rendezvous is actually easier than getting into orbit. Now docking is another story, especially if your doing it stock, but you don't have to dock to transfer crew.

EDIT: P.S. Docking really isn't that hard either, but I'd say it's a little more challenging than getting to orbit or getting a Mun transfer. But not as challenging as landing there.

Edited by Alshain

Yah, figuring out how to dock the very first time is a booger bear and incredibly frustrating. But once you get the first one, then rest are just a walk in the park. It's just learning the mechanics. Start with small ships, the bigger they are the harder they are to balance and dock.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.