Camp NaNoWriMo

The Jedi Master

Write 50,000 words of fiction within the month of July.

Eh, how hard can it be?

-----------------------

You may have heard of National Novel Writing Month (AKA NaNoWriMo), the challenge in which you are tasked with writing a full-length novel (defined as 50,000 somewhat coherent words) in 30 days, usually November. But have you heard of Camp NaNoWriMo, the July version? The task is the same, and breaks down to about 1,667 words a day. It's harder than it sounds.

Now, if you haven't joined yet, it may be to late (then again, maybe a last-minute joining will help you!), but I'm hoping there are people here who are doing this themselves. It's hard, yes, but it is also very rewarding. It doesn't even necessarily have to be a novel--just a work of fiction.

So, who else is doing this?

It seems like a good idea, but when I write, I write at my own pace. Being pressured into doing a certain amount, even over a month, removes quality.

Ah, but that is the beauty of the thing. There is no need for quality--no one is grading this. Just get a rough draft out, and if you want to revise it later, you can. Awesome, right? :)

It seems like a good idea, but when I write, I write at my own pace. Being pressured into doing a certain amount, even over a month, removes quality.

I agree, but I've also found something very important for any aspiring writer:

If you want to succeed, you have to write every day.

It doesn't have to be a continuation of what you're currently working on. It can be about anything at all - and if you don't know what to write about, write what you know.

Gene Simmons once compared any artistic endeavor to panning for gold. He said something along the lines of "if you don't go down to the river every day, you're not going to get anything at all". You've got to meet your Muse halfway - waiting for inspiration to arrive at your doorstep will never accomplish anything. And what's the "quality" in an unfinished work that's never completed? Any artist has a few of those.

You might not turn out quality work if you write every day, but you'll find that it makes the work that you do turn out to be of higher quality overall.

Edited by HeadHunter67

A kid at my high school was doing this last November. I didn't participate because I just can't write fast (even though I love to write).

Edit: It was two years ago, I guess.

Edited by Vaporo

A kid at my high school was doing this last November. I didn't participate because I just can't write fast (even though I love to write).

Edit: It was two years ago, I guess.

Who knows? Maybe this is the kick in the pants you need to write really fast! If it's still the first week, it's not too late!

I'm good with short stories like a paragraph, Mine would be so god awful that it's probably break what ever computer processes them.

I tell you, that is the beauty. You surprise yourself by writing something not totally irredeemable! It's a great feeling, trust me. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just don't have the time to knock out that many words per day sadly, of whatever quality. Best of luck to everyone going for it though! Anyone doing anything KSP inspired?

Oh - and I totally agree with the importance of writing every day. I don't get to do that as often as I'd like either but it makes a huge difference when I do. It's so much easier to pick up something you were working on yesterday and get back into the groove, than it is to pick up something you were working on last week, or month.

I just don't have the time to knock out that many words per day sadly, of whatever quality. Best of luck to everyone going for it though! Anyone doing anything KSP inspired?

I probably would have done something KSP if I wasn't working on the idea for my Magnum Opus. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I got fifty thousand words. :)

How hard was it? I don't ever intend on doing this test, I just like to hear stories of people doing hard things. My storywritin' engine never turned over, and my real-life writin' engine's always sputtered and ran on fumes with a top speed of 5 MPH.

Thank you all! This post applies to both Flymetothemun and TheDataMiner.

When you do something like this, you really have to throw caution to the wind. You may not know yet how to fit the five ninjas into your gritty crime drama, but hey, they've generated five hundred words already, so why not? That's what editing is for. It's also best to find your golden hours, the times when you're writing skills are really ready for use, and try to write then. But be sure to write at other times, too--your golden hours may not always be available, as I learned this year--I'm a night owl, you see. :P

And most importantly, TURN OFF YOUR INTERNET ANTENNA WHILE YOU'RE WRITING! The harpies will come calling for you. Don't risk it!

Oh god NanoWriMo, i Remember i had to make story for it for school in Writing in around November...

it had 3053 words by the end and had a pretty good (in my opinion) back story but the story itself wasn't great because i was pressed for time...

and yes i was a sci-fi story...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.