Antonov!!!

JT2227

I remember plane spotting this when it landed in Edmonton. It is massive, isn't it?

Still the biggest aircraft in the world. Even the A380 comes-up a little short compared to it.

I saw it as a kid once while transferring at a US airport.

I rather like how it's flying the Ukrainian national colours now.

That thing is a beast. Why is there only one?

Quick and dirty search:

A second An-225 was partially built during the late 1980s for the Soviet space program. The second An-225 included a rear cargo door and a redesigned tail with a single vertical stabilizer. It was planned to be more effective for cargo transportation.[11] Following the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991 and the cancellation of the Buran space program, the lone operational An-225 was placed in storage in 1994.[12] The six Ivchenko Progress engines were removed for use on An-124s, and the second uncompleted An-225 airframe was also stored. The first An-225 was later re-engined and put into service.[5][13]

By 2000, the need for additional An-225 capacity had become apparent, so the decision was made in September 2006 to complete the second An-225. The second airframe was scheduled for completion around 2008,[14] then delayed. By August 2009, the aircraft had not been completed and work had been abandoned.[1][15] In May 2011, the Antonov CEO is reported to have said that the completion of a second An-225 Mriya transport aircraft with a carrying capacity of 250 tons requires at least $300 million, but if the financing is provided, its completion could be achieved in three years.[16] According to different sources, the second jet is 60–70% complete.[17]

Edited by Camacha

I saw it land a couple of times at Toulouse airport as part of the A380 program a few years back. They were using it test to the durability of the runway and taxiways before the A380 and maybe to bring in some big parts before the special convoy route was built.

2948590783_055543d411.jpg

Antonov 124s are much more common.

My favorite is still the A300-600ST Beluga that flies in front of my window several times a day.

640px-Airbus_A300-600ST_Airbus_Industries_%28AIB%29_Beluga_2_F-GSTB_-_MSN_751_%289738916989%29.jpg

Edited by Nibb31

A300-600ST Beluga

UGH! I think this... thing is the ugliest plane I've ever seen. On the other hand, Antonov's high-wingers (not only Mriya) are very beautiful birds. (Edit: except An-74. That one is a mutant baby in their family)

Edited by J.Random

UGH! I think this... thing is the ugliest plane I've ever seen. On the other hand, Antonov's high-wingers (not only Mriya) are very beautiful birds.

I actually like it, I am rather partial to these kinds of purpose built vehicles.

I saw it land a couple of times at Toulouse airport as part of the A380 program. They were using it test to the durability of the runway and taxiways before the A380.

Antonov 224s are much more common.

My favorite is still the A300-600ST Beluga that flies in front of my window several times a day.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3a/Airbus_A300-600ST_Airbus_Industries_%28AIB%29_Beluga_2_F-GSTB_-_MSN_751_%289738916989%29.jpg/640px-Airbus_A300-600ST_Airbus_Industries_%28AIB%29_Beluga_2_F-GSTB_-_MSN_751_%289738916989%29.jpg

I went to Toulouse and saw a few of these flying around, and a A350 too! When they were testing it I assume.

I went to Toulouse and saw a few of these flying around, and a A350 too! When they were testing it I assume.

They still are. The 5th and last prototype had its maiden flight last week. The first deliveries will be to Qatar Airways at the end of the year. A beautiful plane.

a350_xwb_msn005_take_off_2.jpg?w=640&h=443

You mean to make a plane bigger than the An-225?

There are practical operational limits. The biggest one is runway length, width, and strength. Width is important to prevent the engines from ingesting dirt and grass. Strength is important because landing such a heavy airplane imposes huge constraints on the structure of the tarmac as well as the taxiways.

There are other practical limits, such as refueling capacity, passenger catering (except for cargo planes, obviously), and cargo handling infrastructure. The infrastructure costs related with upgrading airports negate any benefit you get from having a greater payload capacity. The A380 was already a bit of a stretch and required some airports to make some very expensive adaptations.

If Stratolaunch succeeds in its plans, its carrier aircraft will be the biggest plane in the world. Whether it makes sense commercially is very much up to debate...

Edited by Nibb31

Why would you need to build a bigger one? It has never carried it's maximum weight in cargo. It has a max take-off/ weight off 640 tonnes, it weighs 285 tonnes leaving you with 355 tonnes of cargo. It has the world record with heaviest payload with only 254 tonnes, leaving it with another 101 tonnes of cargo. If you need to carry something that is too bulky to fit, it probably could be shipped in multiple pieces.

It has the world record with heaviest payload with only 254 tonnes, leaving it with another 101 tonnes of cargo.

You need to save some payload for fuel. Fuel load is very significant portion of the gross takeoff weight. A 747-400 (gross takeoff weight of ~875 000 pounds) departing on a long haul flight like LA to Sydney or Hong Kong - Frankfurt will be carrying on the order of 350 000 pounds of fuel. Thats about three times as much as the passengers, baggage and cargo. And most transport category aircraft have a maximum zero fuel weight (MZFW). That is the maximum aircraft gross weight prior to loading fuel. It defines the maximum non-fuel payload. For a 747-400, the maximum zero fuel weight is about 540 000 pounds, meaning a 747-400 taking off at maximum gross weight must have over 100 000 pounds of fuel on board.

Note: The maximum zero fuel weight is a structural limitation. Fuel is carried in the wings while other payload is carried in the fuselage. Bending loads on the wing are different for the two cases.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.