Wish me luck on my first travel to minmus!

hempa2

You are actually right on the less gravity being more fun. It's easier to right your lander if it falls over and easier to land as it's at a lower speed. I wish you the best of luck, maybe you could put some pictures up once you are done?

Although it's harder to get to Minmus than Mun it is so much easier to land on and take off from that overall it is the simpler mission and beginners are recommended to start there, then Mun.

I've done two flybys each of Mun and Minmus and currently have my lander en route to Minmus for my first attempt to land on a foreign body.

I fully expect to fail hilariously! I don't know how I'll ever get Jeb back home. ^_^

I've done two flybys each of Mun and Minmus and currently have my lander en route to Minmus for my first attempt to land on a foreign body.

I fully expect to fail hilariously! I don't know how I'll ever get Jeb back home. ^_^

If not doing Career, build a small probe lander to land on Minmus. When landing, learn how to use the retro marker on the navball and how to keep your orientation centered on it using the WSAD keys and no RCS. As you slow down under 10m/sec, keep orientating to the retro marker until it becomes centered to a vertical decent. When you can keep it that way descending at under 5m/sec, you will have eliminated most of the horizontal drift that will flip your ship upon landing. This will take practice but will soon be second nature. Once you have mastered landing on the seas of Minmus, you will find landing on the more uneven surface of Mun with its higher gravity much easier.

Landing on Minmus with tons of fuel left;

bsOBUav.jpg

Landed on Mun with a probe not designed for landing;

kz3WA4a.jpg

Demo ship landing on Mun. Note, the ship is almost hovering as the retro marker is approaching near zero drift. Note why you cannot use the altimeter as it registers sea level and not the actual elevation which is about 5 meters actual;

QcmRBwb.jpg

Landed on Mun;

1k9i7KN.jpg

Edited by SRV Ron

Turns out I had a flawless landing, but a near disastrous return.

Landing on Minmus is almost exclusively patience. Don't over burn on your descent. Firing retro until vertical is super easy. And if you land perched on one leg, a little WASD tap will level you.

I ran out of fuel during the maneuver to set up aerobraking. Instead of 40k, I ended up at 68k. I startled when the engines cut off early. Took a couple orbits, but 68k was enough to drop me down. Boo yah!