Falling through Laythe

I'm taking a shot at my first Jool 5 attempt and got everything lined up for a landing at Laythe. Unfortunately every time I get over land the planet disappears, all I see is space and Jool and my lander splatters itself all over on touch down. I'm also kind of stuck with the current approach due to a quick save (and a fortuitous alignment that intercepted Laythe with no adjustments).

The lander can survive a water landing though my first liftoff attempt resulted in a backflip. Maybe I should just try the water landing again but I'd like to know what do do with the surface vanishing if I can.

Are you trying to land on the same approximate piece of land every time, or are you seeing this bug at different places on Laythe? And at what altitude does the land disappear?

I'm wondering if this is just some buggy area of Laythe, or perhaps the result of something to do with your ship.

Same place each time, this rocket has limited fuel for adjustments so I haven't gone into orbit but maybe I should just aerobrake for a different attempt (too used to landing on non-atmospheric bodies). I think it is the large western body at the central latitudes (no access to KSP at the moment).

I've had this happen on Kerbin before. The ground isn't there and when the craft gets to where the ground should be, it blows up as if your were traveling mach 6 straight into it, regardless of actual speed.

The vanishing of the ground is a bug that happens sometimes on Kerbin too.

You could try a quicksave just before you start the final landing procedure, then if the ground vanishes again press F9 to restore the quicksave and go land again. This seems to help most of the time on Kerbin, so maybe it works on Laythe as well.

Greets,

Jan

Tried hitting other islands with infinite fuel and same thing regardless of where I land.

Well splashdown and return it is, wanted to plant a flag but I'm good with this.

Edited by Drethon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.