Possible ways to add other Solar Systems

As we know, additional solar systems aren't going to be around anytime soon due to it being a lot of work. But, as shown by the genius who made KSP 64 bit work for windows, there are easy ways to do things that work just as well and now I believe the devs have said they are making KSP 64-bit for a future update.

See here for 64-bit stuff

The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one.
GLaDoS from Portal 2

Now, I was wondering if there are any suggestions from the community that would make adding new systems easier and ways of getting there that don't "ruin" the game.

To start, I have one of my own. Treat solar systems like planets around a point of gravity. To achieve this change Kerbol to be just a point of gravity in space (or something else, I don't know), then add a new Kerbol and put it in orbit around it with the planets and stuff in orbit around that. Similar things have been done by members of the community using Planetfactory CE but the solar systems have always orbited the original Kerbol star. Also, Wormholes...

Hope everyone has great ideas!

Edited by iStickyDuck

As long as they don't implement warp drives, this won't make much sense.

Just image sitting at your computer with max timewarp factor on for days until you arrive at the next local system.

This could be added similar to the tech tree,but with achievements" you went to every possible celestial in the kerbol system.(tech option visible) ok,here you can unlock the warpdrive,for another 10.000science points(unlock)".

the alternative would be finding a mass relay or stargate to this other system, but all of this the hardcore players wouldn't like. So there needs to be an option for those players to disable all non yet descovered/built technologies by man.

Edited by ximrm

I really don't see a need to implement orbits for stars in KSP. The distances are so large and the gravitational forces so small that the stars wouldn't move perceptibly even after several decades.

Thus my vision for multiple stars is to first have Career missions wherein you unlock and launch a space telescope to look for exoplanets. The Tracking Station would then include a small menu somewhere to pick a "known" star system (or double-click a "star" icon in the background). It would simulate in its own space, within which neither Kerbol nor any of its planets are loaded or simulated so as to keep memory usage reasonable. When viewing it in the Tracking Station, all the planets would be visible but only as "dots" until you launch a ship to go there. Once you do, you could either bring a telescope with you to survey all the planets at once or just encounter and survey them one at a time. When a planet is surveyed in this way, the rest of its properties are generated and made visible in the tracking station (similar to what asteroids do).

Discover too many exoplanets, of course, and you'll start eating up hard drive space as often happens in Spore.

Possibly the exoplanet generation code can be non-randomized so that everyone gets the same potential set of systems and can share their discoveries a la Space Engine.

P.S. Going to the other systems would either need a warp drive, a lot of patience, or... a new timewarp factor (or two) that only works in the Space Center or interstellar space.

Edited by parameciumkid

just compile planet factory to 64 bit when the time comes. i will be happy with that. if they can solve the problem with kerbol needing to be the center of the universe that would be great.

The best soluton to a problem is usually the easier one. In essence is putting this suggestion on the WNTS list and train fanboys to point fingers at you and have your thread locked.

As for your statement, other solar systems won't be around because we don't even know if the game is gonna progress that far to even have the feature implemented.

I'm all for making the Kerbol system richer, i.e. add detail to each planet and moon as much as possible, make more detailed and varying asteroids, add ring systems to one of the gas planets, give each planet its own weather etc. pp.

Until now, most planets and moons kind of feel the same. I don't need even more generic content.

I've read a post about wormholes ( trous noirs ? )

Actually i'm (re)playing the mass effect's, you see what i mean ?

A portal going to random system.

( ce qui nous obligerais à revoir la conception d'une fusée plus polyvalente ou l'ajout de nouvelles parts )... La flemme de traduire comprendra qui pourra.

I just want one other star system in the game. It could be like the Proxima Centauri of the Kerbol system. It would just have a couple planets in it, and be a super end game kind of thing to do. And getting there would require to let the game run in max warp for days even after building up as much speed as possible. Basically the ultimate reward in the game that you basically expect people to do just once, just to do it, and that's it.

• 3 weeks later...

A logical application is what happened in Contact by Carl Sagan, they were there, but only their minds, not their physical bodies. So, find enough alien stuff to build a special part that takes you, and your spaceship, to another star system, in the Kerbal's minds.......

That or more timewarp, or possibly alien warp-gate? A lonely question mark in the inky blackness of space, at least in the tracking station. Maybe the tracking station could have an Artifacts tab so you can look at easter eggs you already found.

Maybe the tracking station could have an Artifacts tab so you can look at easter eggs you already found.

:o I likey-likey this idea a lot. As an avid easter egg hunter, this kind of small feature would make my day.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.