simple test not working.

Hi All,

I\'m not a programmer (at least not for a good few years) but tried the example plugin without success. Heres what I had....

C# express 2010 as per the wiki. Added the two references in as needed.

Put this code in:-

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;

/// <summary>
/// My first part!
/// </summary>
public class TestModule : Part
{
/// <summary>
/// Called when the part is started by Unity.
/// </summary>
protected override void onPartStart()
{
// Add stuff to the log
print('something silly to the log');
}
}

It green lined all the way down when i build the solution. a DLL appears in both debug and release directories. I move it to plugins but the line from the print command doesnt appear in the log.

i saw it said 14X1 or greater and mine is the store download v14. do i need an X build to try this or am I missing something?

Regards,

Mat

6icorr.png

Build it like so, head over to your project folder, obj, release, that\'s the dll you want.

Then make a new part, by simply copying the RCSBlock for example.

// --- general parameters ---
name = loldisispart
module = ModuleNameHere
author = mrprefimz

Change the module name to whatever you set it in the code, TestModule in your case.

Strap the part onto your rocket, hit space, alt+f2

Then 'something silly to the log' should appear there, hopefully this helped.

Thanks for that.

I added it as a part and it works fine. What threw me was the tutorial says without making it as a part like the rcs block it should just appear in the log file when you load the game. in fact the next stage after doing that is to make it work like a module on the ship.

Not sure how much it matters, but I include this in all of my headers so I can access the unity engine functions.

using System.Collections;
using UnityEngine;

That sounds like you could make big uh-oh\'s to the game. But what do I know

Unity Engine is what the game is built on. What I\'m referring to is gaining access to the features of the unity engine. Not the 'operation' parameters of the engine. Unity does not allow modifications of its internal systems. (unless you have a source code license, and they are very expensive)...

So what I\'m referring to is perfectly safe. Considering you have access to c# and .net. That is much more likely to cause issues with bad programming then using the unity engine. I give it a few days before someone programs a seg-fault into a script. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.