Random silliness

Is that a balance problem, or did you land on a gooey spot?

"EEK! The ground is eating my ship!"

Actually, I think I can explain what's going on. An aircraft mechanic told me this recently while jacking a plane. The center of gravity is in front of the jack pads, but depending on the ballast, it could be close enough that a steep angle moves it behind. So they use a plumb bob and monitor the angle carefully. If the nose jack gets too far ahead of the others, it could... do this.

The plane just wants to fly!

It's likely caused by CoM right over the rear wheels. I know it's a general rule to put your wheels just aft of the CoM, but if you land on a hill after burning some of your fuel I could see the CoM being right above or slightly behind the wheels.

Trivia: An A10 Thunderbolt needs a jack under its tail to prevent the same thing when its gun is removed for servicing.

This may also be the fault of 0.23.5's "performance optimizations". I've noticed that one of them appears to be to turn off physics on landed ships, so it may be that you landed and stayed in that tilted position long enough, moving slowly enough, that after a few frames the game decided you were staying put, stably balanced or not.

Ninja'd. Dat tank. o_o

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.