[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

I just got this awesome mental image of a part similar to the fold-away engines. Imagine this: two long doors on the side of a rocket, or under a wing or something. The doors open, the missile is lowered down on a little arm, released... and half a second later the engine on the missile fires off and the thing goes off to murder whoever it feels necessary. The little arm retracts, and the doors close. We assume at that moment (maybe accompanied by a little gear-turning sound) that the reloading mechanism is moving another spare missile into the launch mechanism.

Was just an interesting thought I had while reading the latest ideas. This definitely would not improve the chances of modularity. Oh well.

Well, that's the design for the missiles for the F-22, so it's a pretty good idea, especially if you want to build something sleek and stealthy

Well, that's the design for the missiles for the F-22, so it's a pretty good idea, especially if you want to build something sleek and stealthy

A compact missile bay in the manner described (as opposed to a bomb bay) would certainly be interesting in the distant future.

I don't want to do something as complex as the Skillful system. I also like how simple it is right now so I won't change it until a better idea comes up.

I think that's your best option. I've avoided Skillful and Lazor since they are so complicated compared to the overall simplicity of KSP on its own. (I have the same issue with Firespitter and how overcomplicated those landing gear are) This mod is short, sweet, and to the point, making it fit with the overall feel of stock KSP a lot better than Skillful or Lazor or even Firespitter (which isn't even a weapons mod!). You want guns? Throw some on your ship with some ammo and you're good to go! Want to fire a missile at that other plane? Target it and fire that bad boy!

Being able to integrate nicely with the stock game and give it that stockalike feel is one of the more important aspects of a mod. In KSP, getting that stockalike feel requires some "dumbing-down" of control systems, and getting the level of control necessary to make your mod function while doing that can be tricky, yet you have done it phenomenally well. For that, I applaud you.

tumblr_m6odkq8jNo1qbolbn.gif

Edited by OrbitusII

ooh nice. What about the cannons you had on your other pictures. are those included as well?

No, they'll be included in the next version of LLL. But I can do a stand-a-lone version as well.

Actually, Bahamuto, I was having a few problems with trying to build a stack/in-line weapon (in this case a laser/ion cannon and a 'siege' cannon). Is there a way to have a fixed gun that'll just fire whenever you press the button (regardless of where the mouse cursor is), I've been having a few problems getting that to work, i.e. it's very selective about where you aim for it to fire.

I think that's your best option. I've avoided Skillful and Lazor since they are so complicated compared to the overall simplicity of KSP on its own. (I have the same issue with Firespitter and how overcomplicated those landing gear are) This mod is short, sweet, and to the point, making it fit with the overall feel of stock KSP a lot better than Skillful or Lazor or even Firespitter (which isn't even a weapons mod!). You want guns? Throw some on your ship with some ammo and you're good to go! Want to fire a missile at that other plane? Target it and fire that bad boy!

Being able to integrate nicely with the stock game and give it that stockalike feel is one of the more important aspects of a mod. In KSP, getting that stockalike feel requires some "dumbing-down" of control systems, and getting the level of control necessary to make your mod function while doing that can be tricky, yet you have done it phenomenally well. For that, I applaud you.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6odkq8jNo1qbolbn.gif

A little off topic, but that clapping dood is creepy as all heck!

Update

v0.4.0

-added Mk82 Bomb

-added AGM-114 Hellfire Missile

-added GAU/8 Avenger

-added Weapon Manager part

-added cannon shell blast power and radius config values

-new sound for Vulcan

-fixed explosionFX bug (explosion would multiply by how many parts it hit)

-new large explosion fx for bombs

-temporarily disabled physics range extension by default

-tweaked missile guidance slightly

New vulcan and gau-8 sounds credit goes to upupandaway's DCS World sound mod : http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=106958

Video demonstration of how to use the Weapon Manager:

Edited by BahamutoD

blinks and then whimpers some as more and more people are putting out Missile mods and yet noone has a working tracks mod. Makes it really hard to make a MLRS that i used to work on while in the US Army. I may have to bite the bullet and make the wheeled HIMARS version till a working tracks mod is out.

Very very nice mod, and great idea for the weapons manager thingy.

BahamutoD:

This is all so beautiful. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, all of your stuff is awesome. One request/suggestion--the brilliant "Weapon Manager"... anyway it could also control the GAU-8? Then I'd only need to bind two buttons on my joystick for select and fire... Anyway, awesome job!

Is it possible to make it so you can attach parts to turrets like the Abrams turret? Or does it not work since they move around and stuff

I wanted to do that, but it seems its more involved than I predicted. I'll take a peek at infernal robotics and see if its feasible.

BahamutoD:

This is all so beautiful. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, all of your stuff is awesome. One request/suggestion--the brilliant "Weapon Manager"... anyway it could also control the GAU-8? Then I'd only need to bind two buttons on my joystick for select and fire... Anyway, awesome job!

I also wanted to do that, but I need to figure out an elegant way to let the weapon manager enable/disable guns and turrets without clashing with the existing method of using action groups for those individually.

So basically, I'll try :P

I also wanted to do that, but I need to figure out an elegant way to let the weapon manager enable/disable guns and turrets without clashing with the existing method of using action groups for those individually.

So basically, I'll try :P

Darn. I should have figured you'd think of that. I'd rather you hadn't thought of it than it being an "engineering problem" so to speak. Anyway, keep up the very cool work.

Oh, one other suggestion (and one thing I liked about the otherwise too-complicated-for-me Skillful Weapons mod)--in situ reloading/rearming (via kerbal EVA and/or some form of reloading station).

Thanks TD!

Hodo, I modeled it to be 2.22m; I'm pretty sure its to scale. Put it next to a 2.5m tank, you'll see!

Yep checked it with a procedural tank, a hair over 2.2m. My mistake LOL.

blinks and then whimpers some as more and more people are putting out Missile mods and yet noone has a working tracks mod. Makes it really hard to make a MLRS that i used to work on while in the US Army. I may have to bite the bullet and make the wheeled HIMARS version till a working tracks mod is out.

Very very nice mod, and great idea for the weapons manager thingy.

lo-fi is working on the tracks thing... it's just a slow process when you have to rewrite the entire wheel implementation to make it work the way it's supposed to.

So I got a tad carried away and made an 18" naval gun.

http://imgur.com/a/myiY5

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/LacksBattleships.zip

I could have scaled it to 64%, but that would be less silly, so full size it is.

Fires a 1.5t shell.

I've never really had the chance to say this Lack... but you are really quite insane. I'm sure you already know that though... so carry on please.

Hey :D you should totally make it to where you can have a kerbal "Reload" the missles or bombs on the ground :D (i know it's getting into Skillful territory but I'm just thinking it woudl suck to have to run a mission half way round the globe. and then to fly back to ksc just to re-arm and re-supply) (also is ammo transferrable? cause If so it would be reloaded using KAS and fuel lines.)

EDIT WITH AWESOME IDEA :D : MAKE THE BOMBS AND MISSLES KAS COMPATIBLE! :D

Edited by Hellbrand