[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Now it makes sense, thanks! Probably asked before, but still: do you plan to use KSP's default targeting? When you double click to select a target

Also, what is the blastPower parameter in the part.cfg of a missile? I'm trying to make them exert less power on explosion, so gibs won't fly kilometers apart

Edited by BarniK

Now it makes sense, thanks! Probably asked before, but still: do you plan to use KSP's default targeting? When you double click to select a target

Also, what is the blastPower parameter in the part.cfg of a missile? I'm trying to make them exert less power on explosion, so gibs won't fly kilometers apart

Using weapons normally uses the stock targeting system. Guard mode uses its own targeting system.

And yes, blastPower is the value you're looking for.

Hey BD, any ETA on flak shells for cannons? Because my towable 88 batteries can't become more than a dream without them... ;_;

Soon, perhaps.

Hello everyone,

I've recently installed BD Armory and everywhere I see these videos of other players having a lot of ground units all around the space center but when I try to leave a vessel near a runway I always get either the "you're moving on the surface" or "you're in flight" error. Whatever I try I always end up back on the runway.

I've managed to succeed once, in the hills behind the space center but haven't been able to replicate it ever since and I've tried pretty much everything. I'm probably missing something totally obvious since I've been Google searching the s**t out of this and have not got a single relevant result. Can you guys please help me out?

Thank you!

Edit: Solved - I didn't lock brakes.

Edited by Kerbanaut1

Are you currently working on finding a way to have a larger physics range? It'd be so awesome if we could do super long range stuff.

He is probably still looking for something though he did try simply extending the physics range and that didn't go so well (bugs with rendezvousing vehicles and such). Though I did just think of a possible solution which would be to use the same method DMP uses for the multiplayer time warp problem where they have each vehicle on "rails" until check in perhaps you could do the same with projectiles that are about to go out of physics range though that might create a problem with damage as 1 could possibly have a vehicle totally destroy itself upon loading or take no damage even when using a missile.

Hey, complete beginner here, so I have been playing this game and installed BDArmory and I was wondering, how do I target other crafts? In many youtube videos I see people targeting crafts, which are encovered in red/purple target box. They seem to do this stuff without going map view, too.

Another thing is, how do I actually use missiles? They don't track crafts at all, they kinda fire straight up front, only to hit the ground due to gravity.

I tried double clicking on the craft I want to target, but it doesn't seem to work. Any help here?

Hey, complete beginner here, so I have been playing this game and installed BDArmory and I was wondering, how do I target other crafts? In many youtube videos I see people targeting crafts, which are encovered in red/purple target box. They seem to do this stuff without going map view, too.

Another thing is, how do I actually use missiles? They don't track crafts at all, they kinda fire straight up front, only to hit the ground due to gravity.

I tried double clicking on the craft I want to target, but it doesn't seem to work. Any help here?

You can double click or activate the weapons manager :)

It targets whatever is set as "target" for missiles.

For guns you right click and enable them and they will follow your mouse.

But you need ammo boxes to fire guns.

Once I get more in depth in modeling, I am sure I'll make some good Stargate weaponry parts, and maybe even handheld weapons !

I love this mod in any way possible !

Thank you BahamutoD from the deepest of our hearts.

You can double click or activate the weapons manager :)

It targets whatever is set as "target" for missiles.

For guns you right click and enable them and they will follow your mouse.

But you need ammo boxes to fire guns.

Thanks for reply, I do target crafts by double clicking on their names, but it seems missilss still just shoot horizontally, only to hit ground. I'm not on my computer atm, maybe not all missiles are guided? Could you give some examples to homing ones?

Thanks for reply, I do target crafts by double clicking on their names, but it seems missilss still just shoot horizontally, only to hit ground. I'm not on my computer atm, maybe not all missiles are guided? Could you give some examples to homing ones?

Last time I checked they were seeking anything set as target, but you may want to have these crafts within the loading range.

So, have them closer than 2.5km or whatever is the loading range of your game (BDA had a setting to change it but I am not sure if it's still there, try ALT+B).

If this also fails, add the part called "Weapons Manager", you can find it on the same place you can find the guns.

Just in case for some weird reason this doesnt work either, try enabling the weapons manager and it will automatically set the targets.

At the very least the last one should work, if it doesn't you will want to verify if you didn't drop the mod folder on the wrong spot, and re-download the latest version making sure you deleted the previous one before installing it.

Well my work on MP is going well.

Im currently experimenting with some different damage modeling (make each bullet add x heat on hit, instead of the random instakill part). While the mod is great as is, for MP implementation i kindof want to have more consistent damage, as i cant seem to make the guns balanced. Its either guns are too weak and take ages to destroy one bloody part (like the structural panels for instance, the 50cal is very random, sometimes 1 shots it, sometimes takes 100 shots before it dies), or when i up the damage every single thing gets 1 shotted (if i make 50cal acceptable 30mm becomes outright OP and 1 clips a entire capital ship).

I am thinking of a somewhat HP based system (that used HEATING to destroy parts). This will mean a sustained burst on any one area will chew through those parts as the heat from multiple hits will guarantee a part is destroyed reliably. This also makes random luckshots impossible, as a single hit from anything to a semi large component will be unable to destroy it in 1 shot. The exception if ofc engines, which are often already running at some heat level, so those would be quite vulnurable to instakill when powered up fully.

Im not sure if this will work as intended, or whether im better off just using the default damage model for my MP modified .dll, but i just dislike 100% rng based killing, i like some randomness eg spread, perhaps having individual shells do more or less damage, but i do not liek teh instakill chance aspect, and i feel a 2-10 hit per part requirement depending on caliber and part mass would be nice to have, thisll also make 50cals work more as you would expect them to in real life, not instatly severing a wing, but requiring some concentrated fire. Also, im keeping explosive stuff as is, as its imo perfectly balanced.

Id liek to know what you guys think of this, and maybe some suggestions on how much a specific gun should do (as in how many direct hits from a 50cal you think should destroy say a structural panel).

Finally, can someone give me a DETAILED GUIDE on how i can make guided missiles actually hit something outside of just flying directly at target and shooting it in unguided mode. Ive tried all sorts of things, i target the enemy using the doubleclick (they turn yellow), ive tried using guard mode to fire said missiles, i tried just about every permutation i could and the bloody missiles REFUSE TO EVEN TRY TO HIT TARGET (and its not just one missile, all of them refuse to target anything and use more or less unguided mode! While bombs are really neat and make a new meaning to the term BOMBER, id really like to be able to at least TRY the guided missiles. Please give me some help here. Also, this is with STOCK .dll, im not using any modded .dlls here.

I am thinking of a somewhat HP based system (that used HEATING to destroy parts). This will mean a sustained burst on any one area will chew through those parts as the heat from multiple hits will guarantee a part is destroyed reliably. This also makes random luckshots impossible, as a single hit from anything to a semi large component will be unable to destroy it in 1 shot. The exception if ofc engines, which are often already running at some heat level, so those would be quite vulnurable to instakill when powered up fully.

I think that heat would be a really good way to do it.

You could have a random heat value that decays with distance for different damage levels.

It is a really good solution, and also interesting as parts will cool down with time.

This adds a "heal" game mechanic that could work for MP.

Finally, can someone give me a DETAILED GUIDE on how i can make guided missiles actually hit something outside of just flying directly at target and shooting it in unguided mode. Ive tried all sorts of things, i target the enemy using the doubleclick (they turn yellow), ive tried using guard mode to fire said missiles, i tried just about every permutation i could and the bloody missiles REFUSE TO EVEN TRY TO HIT TARGET (and its not just one missile, all of them refuse to target anything and use more or less unguided mode! While bombs are really neat and make a new meaning to the term BOMBER, id really like to be able to at least TRY the guided missiles. Please give me some help here. Also, this is with STOCK .dll, im not using any modded .dlls here.

You are not the only having issues, are you using x64?

I will test it a bit because it have worked to me so far, not sure if last time I tested was 0.6.1 or 0.6.2.

Btw, are you using remotetech?

Because I think that missiles are probes.

I think that heat would be a really good way to do it.

You could have a random heat value that decays with distance for different damage levels.

It is a really good solution, and also interesting as parts will cool down with time.

This adds a "heal" game mechanic that could work for MP.

You are not the only having issues, are you using x64?

I will test it a bit because it have worked to me so far, not sure if last time I tested was 0.6.1 or 0.6.2.

Btw, are you using remotetech?

Because I think that missiles are probes.

Bone stock except for this mod.

And the healing system is one thing i kindof like to see since it does not punish stray fire and random luckshots, as the damage from a single bullet or so can more or less be ignored, its sustained fire that will instantly eat you alive (which is kindof what i feel is best for MP).

It is as of this post a hybris between teh default luck factor and a heating element. This means that there is still the possibility of a shot doing absolutely no damage, but also for guns that have high firepower that usually are 100% guaranteed to kill, they will instead raise a part's heat by a facor related to part mass, impact tolerace, and ofc teh bullet's firepower. I may eventually dispose of teh rng all together, and make a bullet do a fixed amount of heat on a specific part, but thats up for some balancing.

Im now working on tweaking exactly HOW MUCH heat each round does (it is a functuion of bullet energy, so a 30mm will do ALOT more damage then a 50cal). Also, outside of very lightweight stuff, do you gusy think that 1 shotting any part is a bad idea or not? Im thinking of making it impossible to instakill anything but super lightweight junk (solar panels, batteries, probe cores, perhaps anything super lightweight like below .01 ect). Also, what do u guys think of the 30mm turret? While i do think 30mm guns should get the firepower they deserve, should that thing get SO MUCH rof/damage/accuracy/bullet velocity that it has now? That one particular gun just feels insane even with my heat damage mod instead of stock chance to 1 shot part.

Finally, a small update with my work, ive almost managed to get red/blue tracers implemented that switch colors based on team selection. This should make it super obvious what team is what, since im kindof envisioning MP to be more team deathmatch style initially (as ksp has no mechanics for objectives). While more teams are defenetely going to be added (im most likely going to have 4 teams implemented, A, B, C, D each with a unique tracer color), initially i think red vs blue would be good enough. Now if only i can get those bloody team colors to actually work :)

Im also going to need some testers, so i will upload my tentative MP mod once its gotten to the point of releaseability. I will add some cfg lines that allow tweaking some params that have to do with the heating damage system. So id like to hear what people feel is the bets amount of damage. This ofc will nto be a final release, but it WILL let me get some feedback on my new heat damage system instead of the old chance to 1 shot part per gun.

Edited by panzer1b

Bone stock except for this mod.

And the healing system is one thing i kindof like to see since it does not punish stray fire and random luckshots, as the damage from a single bullet or so can more or less be ignored, its sustained fire that will instantly eat you alive (which is kindof what i feel is best for MP).

Im now working on tweaking exactly HOW MUCH heat each round does (it is a functuion of bullet energy, so a 30mm will do ALOT more damage then a 50cal). Also, outside of very lightweight stuff, do you gusy think that 1 shotting any part is a bad idea or not? Im thinking of making it impossible to instakill anything but super lightweight junk (solar panels, batteries, probe cores, perhaps anything super lightweight like below .01 ect). Also, what do u guys think of the 30mm turret? While i do think 30mm guns should get the firepower they deserve, should that thing get SO MUCH rof/damage/accuracy/bullet velocity that it has now? That one particular gun just feels insane even with my heat damage mod instead of stock chance to 1 shot part.

Finally, a small update with my work, ive almost managed to get red/blue tracers implemented that switch colors based on team selection. This should make it super obvious what team is what, since im kindof envisioning MP to be more team deathmatch style initially (as ksp has no mechanics for objectives). While more teams are defenetely going to be added (im most likely going to have 4 teams implemented, A, B, C, D each with a unique tracer color), initially i think red vs blue would be good enough. Now if only i can get those bloody team colors to actually work :)

That is super cool!

And yes I think that "junk" could be 1 hit killed.

Because it's not always junk, losing a solar panel can mean a lot.

About 30mm being OP, well I think that you could make special values for it to nerf it down a bit.

It's not always about what fits perfectly better but on what is more fun.

We will also need ways to spawn at different places on the map, so I think that a mod that adds more buildings around Kerbin would be great.

Just an idea, could you possibly make a flag depending on the team dominating it?

For example within a certain range set a flag color as the team of the closest unit to it?

It would not require timers to conquest the flag or anything since it won't be super fast paced.

These flags could allow you to launch from the dominated base (if it is made like that) and so on... :)

Lastly, since you are on it, could you mod the server so every part that does not have a command pod is instantly deleted by the server?

Since missiles and bombs have them, and bullets are different stuff, this would only help to decrease lag and future debrisspam problems.

Lastly, since you are on it, could you mod the server so every part that does not have a command pod is instantly deleted by the server?

Since missiles and bombs have them, and bullets are different stuff, this would only help to decrease lag and future debrisspam problems.

The weapons already DELETE whatever they hit and dont exactly do much kinetic damage. Its not like the guns are going to litter a server with debris. Also, ive seen some servers taht already instantly or ALMOST instantly delete debris. i was trying to move a missile from a bomb bay to its firing mount, it dissapeared well before i was able to attach to it in a different spot.

Right now at least with my mod, the only way to actyually explode people and send em flying is with rockets/bombs/howitzers. Those are quite powerful, and have a blast wave thing coded, but the guns do not even appear to have any target hit recoil modeled. I may be wrong, but when i was testing, it didnt seem that enemy fire pushed me around at all (just overheated crap on the underside).

My biggest issue atm is trying to strike a good balance between balanced and useable. Damage alone is not the sole factor making something good/bad, as in MP hitting a target is actually hard enough as is outside of ground vehicles spaming at each other from stationary. So i do need to somewhat elevate damage levels, but i just wanna make it impossible to 1 shot someone, as thats a no fun mechanic in my opinion. Ofc shooting weakspots will still cut a ship in half with a good burst, but with my mod, its nolonger 10 shots of a 30mm cuts a capital ship in 2. Heating damage also is scaled by part mass and things like impact tolerance, so parts that normally would be able to take alot of hist require concentrated fire (such as capital ships made of alot of structural panels, or some command pods that have good mass and high impact resistances. So stuff thats weak, can be shot off quick, but itll take some time to cut through a entire armored tank, with things like 50 cals being almost unable to destroy some of the larger/impact resistant parts at all with just a single turret. Think of teh current damage modeling being SIMILAR to the old sunbeam lazer mod, except instead of continuous heating, the bullets each increase a part's heat level by say 1/3 of teh maximum heat or whatnot, with the 30mm basically 2-3 shotting MOST parts, and the 20mm doing moderate damage, but taking some more time to chew through heavily armored parts, and teh 50cal made basically useless against huge mass/super strong resistance parts. Eventually i plan to implement a damage multiplier against fuel tanks, as right now the larger the tank, the harder it is to destroy, which is somewhat true, but in general lfo or any fuel should ve extremely vulnurable to vaporization. Im most likely going to implement this with a probability to just 1 shot the tank, as we dont want people using unprotected fuel tanks as armor that is superior to bloody normal plate (as a mass of 30 tons has a very low heating per bullet, being as of now IMMUNE to 50cals entirely, and takes multiple 20s to kill, so you can kindof exploit the mechanics by having super massive parts be almost immune to smaller guns.

Explosives may or may not be rebalanced, depending on how powerful the normal guns end up in the end. I obviously want to make all weapon typed equally viable, and i kindof want to avoid having one weapon dominate the game. Itll become a long process of balancing, especially if i find one particular gun overpreforming (like the 30mm turret which is insane atm). Im also going to massively buff teh stats of the fixed guns, due to their difficulty in use, and most likely increase turret weights to cut down on the ability to fly fighter styled jets with a ciws turret on the bottom using autoaim.

One more thing, im planning on redoing teh autoaim to not use the aim assists at all. This allows for point defense against missiles or very close targets, but wont allow someone to just enable autoaim with a ciws turret and get 4 kills within 10 seconds.

Overall i plan to in the long term implement my own weapon models/stats, most likely featuring ww2/cold war styled guns, which all had less rof, and less accuracy, but for now ill stick to the stock guns, as i cant do everything at once, gotta get the plugin finished 1st.

How can I make the trajectory predictor show up for my bombs? I made a few custom ones; they drop, fly, and explode normally, but when selected with the weapon manager, no aimer appears. I haven't had this problem with the rocket launcher I made though. If it helps, in Unity, I have a gameobject with parttools rotated at x=0, y=180, z=180, and the bomb model rotated so that the front points in the global -z direction.

Ok, well i FINISHED my heat based damage model tweaks.

I THINK i managed to get it near an acceptable balance, and it feels liek its a much more interesting damage model then before. Now using alot of struts structural panels can yield a fairly tanky vehicle, although from testing, ill say ALWAYS bring more then a single gun, since getting your gun shot off is a rather annoying issue (ban AI for aimbotting me :D). Anyways, now stuff seems to die much more realistically, although a single 50cal turret is useless against anything with even a slight amount of armor plating. Right now 20mm is the gun ive done MOST of the balancing around, as its suppost to be not terrible but not crazy powerful either. It takes a moderate amount of 20 to take down a armored target thats covered in structural panels, and it is possible to make a vehicle that is almost immune to 20mm frontally at least by heavy abuse of radiators (struts, extra stuff strapped onto the frontal armor, ect). Ofc such armoring is not viable on planes, so those are still fairly easy to bring down with a concentrated burst of anything but 50cals (well you COULD bring 10 50 turrets and get equal firepower to a 30 :D).

I may need to modify the cannons a tad, as the 105/120 is a little bit better then the low level junk now, but since it is kindof hard to hit with, its not that powerful, and useless vs planes too. Missiles/bombs are imo good stock, they are tougher to use then the cannons, and they allow for a hard counter to super heavy armoring that is possible on tanks.

I will upload a test version of my .dll, so hopefully i can have some people go in and try each weapon on a variety of targets (weak rovers, planes, heavy tanks, immobile bunkers, ect). I plan to keep the ai autolocking feature as it is much weaker now with the inability to 1 shot anything outside of some super weak junk with a 30mm, and i may or may not tone down the ai's accuracy when firing, depending on feedback as to how good it is (lets face it, we dont want everyone just making massive tanks with multiple 30s on them, and then just ignoring everything while their guns eat enemy alive, although one nerf to it is a fixed 1km max autotargetr distance, which SHOULD keep people from parking unmanned junk around and shooting you down with those.

Finally, the 30mm CIWS turret is going to get nerfed in some way or another, its so insanely powerful its not much fun to fight against, especially considering its the most accurate gun in game, has the best ROF, and does the most damage, all while not necessarily overheating too much. A few things im considering is making it overheat more, and take a much longer time to drop that heat, or cut down its turret traverse speed. But id like some ideas from the community on what i can do to make it a fair thing to use/fight against without ruining its firepower (as lets face it, a 30 is WAY more powerful then a 20 or a 50cal). Ill prolly buff the 50s though, by removing overheat entirely from those, as they are already more or less useless outside of large numbers.

Here are a few pics of a basic rover i made using heavy armoring principles, notice it doesnt take ANY damage whatsoever from 2 50cal tanks and a 20mm vulcan until i get closer up and or expose my weakspots, this will make combat much more enjoyeable in my opinion, as it rerquires a little more then blindly spraying at CoG. Ofc i know that real bullets do not heat up the target, so lets just say the guns are loaded with plasma rounds or something. Also, i tested that it IS possible to armor vs a 30mm at mid-long range provided you have like 10-20 struts as well as some disposeable heat buffering parts strapped onto the frontal plate, but even then i do not reccomend tanking a 30mm as it will eat you alive if it gets a burst through a weakspot.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

(plz someone tell me how to format so it embeds)

The super armored thingy near the end of the album is my work at a 30mm immune vehicle. At ranges of 900m or farther, i can tank an indefinite amount of 30mm, supplemented by 2 50cal trucks and a 20mm vulcan all firing at once. Ofc real players will fire longer bursts, or use tactics such as flanking, but the idea is rather nice, that it is possible to reinforce stuff against the guns, although not with weak components like fuel tanks ect. Technically i can see someone making a maus using this armoring technique, and just eating everything shot at em, but hey, autocannons need some counters, its not like the maus will be able to take multiple 120mm hits or a good bomber. Anyways, as of now, the thing teh damage takes into account is bullet mass, bullet velocity relative to the target, and the materials impact tolerance, so only some structural parts and a few of teh pods are able to tank damage at all, most fuel tanks take over 10 times the damage from any autocannon due to terrible impact tolerance, as do most lower level things like generators ect. Max heat is also important, as the guns do a finite amount of heating to said part, independent of what its max allowed heat is, meaning that higher heat resist like in the case of the square drone core, is beneficial.

Although im quite tempted to make a p1000, a primary heavy battery, and then alot of flak on the backside......with armor to boot.... :D

Although heat damag emechanics can be somewhat exploited, i dont feel itll make MP combat unfun. And one more mega weakness of the 30mm i found out, its so bloody huge its always shot off from even a 50cal tank before i can get in range to kill them reliably, so perhaps teh 30 isnt AS OP as i initially gave it credit for.

Edited by panzer1b

place em anywhere on the ship that isnt clipped inside ect, and they SHOULD automatically fire off when a missile is inbound, theres no keys to enable ect needed.

Actually you need to right click on it and activate or set up an action group to fire but you will have to remember the key when missles are inbound

Actually you need to right click on it and activate or set up an action group to fire but you will have to remember the key when missles are inbound

crap, nevermind, i was using a MODDED .dll

yeah with stock /dll that is true