Ion glider collier trophy!

"With FAR" being the key phrase. The rules call for stock aerodynamics, and that's why.

Best,

-Slashy

Yeah, I would have to contend it was easier with FAR because with FAR, you can do things to optimize the aerodynamics while under stock aero you can't. My design was particularly optimized for FAR by having almost everything arranged in one long cylinder to minimize air resistance. The same design did not achieve orbit when I later tried it with stock aero.

This doesn't mean that it's impossible, but it will clearly be very very hard. Stock aero keeps you going slowly for a very long time. The winning design will have an absolutely massive amount of lift to get it up out of the lower atmosphere as quickly as possible.

FWIW I think the flight path I used (taking off in late afternoon, heading north over the pole, and then turning east at sunrise) is probably still the optimal one for any orbital attempt because it gives you continuous daylight plus the 200 m/s boost of Kerbin's spin right at the end when you need it. Actually I'm far more proud of my flight path design than the aircraft design. :-)

Edited by Yakky

Since my first manned attempt was called The Red Baron, I've been working on Snoopy's Doghouse for the next attempt. I haven't managed to generate enough lift with it yet, but I'm getting close. Unfortunately the part count is already high enough the game runs very slowly.

I finally got a version of Snoopy's Doghouse to fly. I didn't get as much altitude (ran out of fuel), but did get a little more speed than the Red Baron. This one is more for how it looks than for breaking records.

Ship name - Snoopy's Doghouse

Speed 51.8 m/s

Altitude 1890m (according to flight engineer)

No batteries, just a probe controller and lander can for electric storage.

Pre-launch Bill is sitting on top of Snoopy's Doghouse

screenshot0.png

It flies!

screenshot1.png

Rut Ro, no more fuel!

screenshot2.png

I might try adding more fuel to this one at some point, but first I think I'll just make a much less complex glider to see if I can get a manned on into space.

• 3 weeks later...

While certainly no contender for the lead, I was playing around with this design and rather than retire it for falling a bit short of expectations, this seems like a good home for this bird to retire. While it had the Delta V to reach orbit, it lacked the ability. Hope you enjoy my ode to the Wright Brothers, I call this bird, The Wright Stuff.

Highest altitude is 136m in this video with a highest speed of 35 m/s (37.6 if you include decent for landing) with the average speed around 26 m/s, though I have had it up to 311 m before becoming bored with flying it realizing it lacked the desired potential. Not batteries, all reactors.

Edited by Jean Deaux

While certainly no contender for the lead, I was playing around with this design and rather than retire it for falling a bit short of expectations, this seems like a good home for this bird to retire. While it had the Delta V to reach orbit, it lacked the ability. Hope you enjoy my ode to the Wright Brothers, I call this bird, The Wright Stuff.

Jean Deux,

It's a really neat model, but unfortunately we can't accept it for the leaderboard in it's current state. Gliders in this competition are limited to 1 control surface, and it must be locked and vertical.

Apologies,

-Slashy

Hello,

here my idea, with 0.25, probabily you'll smash it but me..

it use a single ion engine, 42 batteryes z-400 and one xeon 150 tank.

energy/xeon is almost perfect to give 1443 seconds (24h) of flight.

also very easy this plane: hit spacebar, wait a couble of seconds that reach ~30m/s and just take off. point your nose at right angle (i'm testing with ~5°), activate sas, time warp and enjoy.

apoasis: 25.940m @930m/s

http://imgur.com/a/bZQuw

5yHXH52.png

Edited by lesto

I believe I got manned flight records licked, but it's 4am local and I'm going to bed. I'll post something up tomorrow.

EDIT: Well, screw. First I went and saved over the .craft, and then when I checked back someone else has already topped me again.

I shall work harder.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

I present the battery free Plywood Glider!

The craft in flight: http://i.imgur.com/D4zhEqv.png

We'll call this issue "A": http://i.imgur.com/lKiP6SI.png

Flight Statistics: http://i.imgur.com/POKjIPS.png

I claim my rightful place on the leaderboard for unmanned craft. :)

Very cool, minimalist design. Do you have a name for it?

Syhrus,

I have a couple questions about your flight I need to clear up before I put you on the board. Actually, 3...

What was "staged" from the aircraft at the beginning of the flight?

Was the flat spin up at 22k and you just didn't take a pic until it was back down to 4300?

Finally, this was done with stock aero and physics, right?

Just gotta make sure, 'cuz the photo evidence is a bit thin.

Best,

-Slashy

There was just a capsule to get the kerbal out of and a decoupler. Sorry I thought the rules just meant you couldn't stage after launch.

Yeah the flatspin started somewhere around the 22k mark (Ran out of charge and the reaction wheel turned off), I tried to save it and failed before I took the screeny.

And yes, stock areo + physics.

There was just a capsule to get the kerbal out of and a decoupler. Sorry I thought the rules just meant you couldn't stage after launch.

Yeah the flatspin started somewhere around the 22k mark (Ran out of charge and the reaction wheel turned off), I tried to save it and failed before I took the screeny.

And yes, stock areo + physics.

Syhrus,

Thanks. Didn't mean to put you on the spot, just doing my due dilligence for the other contestants.

Since the stage in this case happened while the craft was sitting still on the runway and didn't impart any acceleration, I'll allow it and alter the rules to reflect it.

Congratulations, you own the "manned" record for .25!

Best,

-Slashy

MabDeno,

You've earned your spot atop the unmanned leaderboard. Congratulations!

I got my best results by maintaining my horizontal velocity at a percentage of terminal velocity with the percentage matching my thrust to weight ratio.

Best,

-Slashy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.