What does "Jettison" do on LF/O engines?

The title explains it all. I know that it jettisons the engine shroud on the LV-N and without doing it it explodes, but it doesn't seem to do anything on other chemical engines (like Rockomax or LV-T series). Does it even have a functionality on those?

Edited by Wampa842

LFO means Liquid Fuel and Oxygen. Jettison means decouple empty parts(usually means that :D)

Actually, it means Liquid Fuel and Oxydizer, as it doesn't specify wich oxydizer or wich liquid fuel its using, it may be Kerosene/LOX, it may be Liquid Hydrogen/LOX, or it may be another fuel/oxydizer mixture.

The same goes for SRBs, they use Solid Fuel, it can be any solid fuel, it doesn't specify.

For the question, i think it decouples the shroud, but im not sure...

When i first started playing KSP (ver 0.19??) you could use it to drop the engines without using a decoupler. once they made the science tree that function no longer worked. i didn't think it did anything anymore and was just a leftover relic.

Maybe try it with a LV-N? I recall a Scott Manley video where he manually decoupled LV-Ns, which left the shrouds on. Logically, you should then also be able to do the opposite, leaving the decoupler on, but getting rid of the shroud.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.