Post Your Cinematics Here! (Cinematic Enthusiasts)

Halban

Like video recorders?

Well, the free ones are, in my experience... Bad.

I lost dozens of hours of footage to free recorders like Ezvid. I don't recommend you use them unless you're on the strictest of budgets.

I really recommend this recorder called "Action!"

It comes with all the features you need.

Can someone help me with this kinda stuff? I'm very new to video making :P

So, I want to cut out some parts of my vid (damnit OBS you hath failed me!) and add music. (and mute out the games sound) I've tried using the Youtube Video Editor, and dragged in the vid and some (CC) music, but all it does it play the video once I drag it in... I really wanna make some cool cinematics but this is pulling me back... Anyone know what to do?

By the way,

Any experienced cinematographers got some recommendations?

Like, good mods and tweaks that make the game look good and not melt my computer, and tips and tricks that make things easier?

The problem is, every time I get the motivation to make a cinematic, I only screw up six hours later. There's always something that goes wrong. The video recorder screwed up, I screwed up some good footage, the sound and video weren't synced, or something.

I really miss the time when I played KSP. I used to play it to make cinematics, and that was fun, but then I quit because it was too hard. I grew tired of spending hours and hours trying to fix things and make videos. I'd force myself to come back and try again, but I'd need to start over because I needed to update my game. And the cycle would repeat.

Now, I've turned to FPS'es for the fun, and the quick n' easy satisfaction. But now they feel hollow, the fun fades shortly after I stop playing one.

I miss KSP. Can someone please help? ;.;

Umm... Hatbat? Got any tips? :/

I use Nvidia Shadowplay :D

My first ever KSP Cinematic:

[video=youtube;hy48tTI6MQc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy48tTI6MQc[/video]

More information: [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/139812-Cooperation-The-Beauty-of-Teamwork"]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/139812-Cooperation-The-Beauty-of-Teamwork[/URL]

[quote name='Sharkman Briton']Can someone help me with this kinda stuff? I'm very new to video making :P
So, I want to cut out some parts of my vid (damnit OBS you hath failed me!) and add music. (and mute out the games sound) I've tried using the Youtube Video Editor, and dragged in the vid and some (CC) music, but all it does it play the video once I drag it in... I really wanna make some cool cinematics but this is pulling me back... Anyone know what to do?[/QUOTE]

When i've had to do stuff like that I've used a multi-track editor like adobe's premiere pro. But that's a pretty heavy tool. I'm sure there are cheaper/free options like it out there.

[quote name='MrMeeb']I use Nvidia Shadowplay :D

My first ever KSP Cinematic:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy48tTI6MQc[/url]

More information: [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/139812-Cooperation-The-Beauty-of-Teamwork"]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/139812-Cooperation-The-Beauty-of-Teamwork[/URL][/QUOTE]

That was really quite spectacular. And I don't usually appreciate these half-cinematic style videos, but this is quite unique. Overall the film comes off with a sheen of quality that a lot of other videos like this just don't have. Although I must say the launch sequences were rather generic - this is fine though, it's easy enough to tell that this was the aesthetic you wanted and you executed it very well. I think it nicely complimented the realism theme of the film.

What really struck me were a couple of the scenes where the spacecraft had just made orbit, incredibly atmospheric and a great use of immersive camera work. Which helped along by the great use of visual mods.

To top it all off the shuttle launch was amazingly shot, again with a very immersive style, which separates this from other videos. Your dedication in using an interesting and immersive array of vehicles and space centres also paid off. Great job, and since this is only your first cinematic: I can't wait for the next :)

[quote name='HatBat']That was really quite spectacular. And I don't usually appreciate these half-cinematic style videos, but this is quite unique. Overall the film comes off with a sheen of quality that a lot of other videos like this just don't have. Although I must say the launch sequences were rather generic - this is fine though, it's easy enough to tell that this was the aesthetic you wanted and you executed it very well. I think it nicely complimented the realism theme of the film.

What really struck me were a couple of the scenes where the spacecraft had just made orbit, incredibly atmospheric and a great use of immersive camera work. Which helped along by the great use of visual mods.

To top it all off the shuttle launch was amazingly shot, again with a very immersive style, which separates this from other videos. Your dedication in using an interesting and immersive array of vehicles and space centres also paid off. Great job, and since this is only your first cinematic: I can't wait for the next :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much :D I just watched Antarctica and it's left me asking myself HOW DO YOU GET ALL THE PRETTY CAMERA ANGLES :3

[quote name='HatBat']I could easily be mistaken but I don't remember seeing any Kerbcam shots in your film. Kerbcam may be harder to use than Camera Tools but it allows you to branch out a lot more creatively.[/QUOTE]

I looked at it and got scared. I'll have a go at it

Hey All! I've been inspired by watching these videos and wanted to try my hand at making a KSP machinima.

Its available in 1080p. I used as many mods as I could to make the game look as good as possible but the ships are all stock parts.

Edited by Korenwolf

HI,

Here's my first quick attempt at creating some cinematics with KSP:

(using the Camera tools mod), just a quick test to get to understand it's use. I might try some more complicated stuff, like trailers or music videos - Green screen mod comes to mind)

Edited by travestyalpha
embedding video

I personally use Camera Tools and OBS for recording, and use Nero Video Editor for assembling, trimming, and editing the footage.  They all work well for me.  If anyone wants to see examples, I have a handful of vid links in my signature.

Edited by Raptor9

These are actually superb. Although you've been a bit repetitive with it, the shot that slowly glides over the plane from above works really well. Great use of Camera Tools too, you've taken advantage of it's features but not made it too obvious, i.e.: it looks real. Have you thought about doing any story driven work? I think your style of film-making could lend itself very well to some large scale scenes.

27 minutes ago, HatBat said:

These are actually superb. Although you've been a bit repetitive with it, the shot that slowly glides over the plane from above works really well. Great use of Camera Tools too, you've taken advantage of it's features but not made it too obvious, i.e.: it looks real. Have you thought about doing any story driven work? I think your style of film-making could lend itself very well to some large scale scenes.

Hey Thanks for the constructive criticism, that really does mean a lot that you took the time to give me some feed back. And in answer to your question. Yes, but I'm having trouble coming up with good story material for a short cinematic, preferably 5-8 minutes. People tend to loose interest pretty quickly so I usually try to keep my videos fairly short. And I do see what you mean about the repetitiveness of my videos. I think I'm falling into a bit of a rut I need to figure out how to climb out of. My other limiting factor, is I don't use a game pad or joystick. So most of my maneuvers tend to be pretty drawn out to hide that fact. On the up side It forces me to balance my crafts so they pretty much fly on there own. The Goose landing was hands off.

I made a couple shuttle launches I am happy with and I have several Orion craft I'm waiting for mod updates to 1.0.5 before they'll fly again. So when they are flying I was planning on a possible Constellation mission but that's been done already.... I still have a few aircraft I haven't released out into the open yet so I have plenty of stuff to show off. Just starting to look more like airplane commercials than cinematics :P

Actually Could you point me toward some Hyperedit how to's? I can't seem to wrap my noodle around it. In space I always have to do everything the hard way.

No problem man, it's always great to see people improve their cinematics. Hyper edit is fairly basic. In fact, I'm pretty sure there's even a simple tab where you simply have to type in a height and a planet, then poof: off you go. There's this video I guess, though I can't imagine you'll need much of it once you get your head around the interface. Hyper edit is quite useful for putting large props in orbit, I hope you make good use of it :)

As for a solution to your more troublesome problem - it might be worth actually doing some commercial style videos to get you started with the basics of how to present a story in KSP. Once you've done that you can slowly build the complexity, before you know it you'll be having some great ideas. Speaking of ideas, a great way to get inspiration for KSP films is to simply play the game with some appropriate music. One of my most popular films came from this music whilst crashing in the South Pole. Look at some of Nassault's better films for example. Plenty of them are set or at least start in scenarios that are in fact totally normal in KSP, after that it just takes a bit of imagination (in this case music) to start a little adventure. They don't have to be long either, everybody knows the personalities of the big four kerbals, so they're great for fast tracking the context.