Stock Challenge: To da Mun!

This is my first challenge post and I did a quick search to see if it has been done and did not find one so if it has please do the needful and frag this thread. Thanks.

For this challenge you will be creating a craft of STOCK parts only. You may not use addon/mod parts at all for this challenge and please do not hack fuel / gravity or anything else for your demonstration. Try to keep your parts relatively basic and non-complicated as much as possible. try to keep action groups to a minimum and any that you create please explain them.

Purpose: To create a craft using stock parts that can carry one Kerbal to the surface of Mun, take a surface sample and return to Kerbin to be recovered. This craft should be easy to operate so that a beginner can use it for their first manned mission to the surface of the Mun and not get stranded there as we have seen so many times in various threads.

Rules:

1) As mentioned already, No hacking / cheating. this includes giving yourself infinite fuel, turning off gravity, turning on unbreakable joints etc.

2) Use stock parts only. Absolutely no mods or third party addons. If you have a question about this, please ask.

3) Keep it basic, keep it simple. Assume that by "Beginner" you are catering to a player who hasn't had the change to collect a whole bunch of science yet. I am flexible on this a bit but at the same time I don't want to see a lot of top tier hardware on your ship. This is for beginners.

4) You must include your .craft file and at least four screenshots so that others can test your craft out for themselves.

5) Be a good sport. Don't bicker about other people's designs and don't tell everybody why your ship is the best. Don't vote for your own ship. Be positive toward the other entrants. if you break rule 5, I will disqualify you.

6) Feel free to give extra explanations of the use of your craft. This is not a requirement, just an idea. As many new players may not have gotten successfully to the Mun yet, if you feel like including a small document explaining things like when to launch, when to maneuver and what to look for during their mission it certainly couldn't hurt.

I will leave this thread open ended for some time so that it gets proper visibility and will let everybody know when I have opened voting and how that is to be done. Have fun playing KSP and help others have fun playing it as well.

This is my first challenge post and I did a quick search to see if it has been done and did not find one so if it has please do the needful and frag this thread. Thanks.

For this challenge you will be creating a craft of STOCK parts only. You may not use addon/mod parts at all for this challenge and please do not hack fuel / gravity or anything else for your demonstration. Try to keep your parts relatively basic and non-complicated as much as possible. try to keep action groups to a minimum and any that you create please explain them.

Purpose: To create a craft using stock parts that can carry one Kerbal to the surface of Mun, take a surface sample and return to Kerbin to be recovered. This craft should be easy to operate so that a beginner can use it for their first manned mission to the surface of the Mun and not get stranded there as we have seen so many times in various threads.

Rules:

1) As mentioned already, No hacking / cheating. this includes giving yourself infinite fuel, turning off gravity, turning on unbreakable joints etc.

2) Use stock parts only. Absolutely no mods or third party addons. If you have a question about this, please ask.

3) Keep it basic, keep it simple. Assume that by "Beginner" you are catering to a player who hasn't had the change to collect a whole bunch of science yet. I am flexible on this a bit but at the same time I don't want to see a lot of top tier hardware on your ship. This is for beginners.

4) You must include your .craft file and at least four screenshots so that others can test your craft out for themselves.

5) Be a good sport. Don't bicker about other people's designs and don't tell everybody why your ship is the best. Don't vote for your own ship. Be positive toward the other entrants. if you break rule 5, I will disqualify you.

6) Feel free to give extra explanations of the use of your craft. This is not a requirement, just an idea. As many new players may not have gotten successfully to the Mun yet, if you feel like including a small document explaining things like when to launch, when to maneuver and what to look for during their mission it certainly couldn't hurt.

I will leave this thread open ended for some time so that it gets proper visibility and will let everybody know when I have opened voting and how that is to be done. Have fun playing KSP and help others have fun playing it as well.

It seems that the rules no.5, is contradict with rules no.6.

It sounds to me like. Hey, don't tell how good your rocket are, but explain what your rocket can do....

And seems the challenge targeting new player, a launching craft 'lifter' should be included. A complete ship. Not just the Mun Lander. (not mentions in the OP).

What should we presume:-

New player capable of achieve Kerbin Orbit?

New player capable of targeting Mun, and understand Hohmann transfer to Mun?

New player capable of capturing Mun orbit?

New Player capable of landing on Mun?

New Player capable of back to Kerbin?

Presume that you will need to make a craft that will get from Kerbin to Mun and return to Kerbin as stated. I don't care what terminology you use to do that. Obviously you're not going to land on the Mun with exactly what you left Kerbin with are you? You can also safely presume for this challenge that the person you are designing for May have already come near to the Mun and maybe crashed into it or got a kerbal stuck there and wants to see a design that can do the whole job.

The point of the optional sixth rule is to provide somewhat of a set of instructions on how to get to the moon and back and if you want a good example of rule number five please refer to "Plugging" for your entry as was done in the now dead orbital tug challenge.

The point of the optional sixth rule is to provide somewhat of a set of instructions on how to get to the moon and back and if you want a good example of rule number five please refer to "Plugging" for your entry as was done in the now dead orbital tug challenge.

Well, I apologies if offended you somehow.

Much appreciated if you could explain a little bit of my non-intentional rudeness.

However, promoting own craft so other could vote for you. I don't see thats a problem.

Well, I apologies if offended you somehow.

Much appreciated if you could explain a little bit of my non-intentional rudeness.

However, promoting own craft so other could vote for you. I don't see thats a problem.

Once the submission is in, it is as promoted as it needs to be. If the thread ends up with a bunch of people lobbying for their submission the thread gets bloated and entrants who remain quiet waiting for the voting to start might get forgotten or ignored.

Once the submission is in, it is as promoted as it needs to be. If the thread ends up with a bunch of people lobbying for their submission the thread gets bloated and entrants who remain quiet waiting for the voting to start might get forgotten or ignored.

Only promote own craft at initial post. Noted that. Thanks.

Think you missed something: how do we 'win'?

And maybe change the title to "New Players: Stock Challenge: To da Mun!" or something, otherwise you will get people posting their Mun Stations/Bases! some people have been playing for a very long time now, and have mastered returns from even Moho and Eeloo... (not me, I still struggle with those two, but there are successful entrants to the 'lowest dV to' challenges...)

Think you missed something: how do we 'win'?

And maybe change the title to "New Players: Stock Challenge: To da Mun!" or something, otherwise you will get people posting their Mun Stations/Bases! some people have been playing for a very long time now, and have mastered returns from even Moho and Eeloo... (not me, I still struggle with those two, but there are successful entrants to the 'lowest dV to' challenges...)

You win by getting the most votes when the contest is over, and I am leaving this open for everybody skilled and not so skilled. You will note in my rules "To create a craft using stock parts that can carry one Kerbal to the surface of Mun, take a surface sample and return to Kerbin to be recovered. This craft should be easy to operate so that a beginner can use it for their first manned mission to the surface of the Mun and not get stranded there as we have seen so many times in various threads."

Mun stations and bases are not something that I will consider basic obviously. I understand I have left the terms fairly broad and up to interpretation, that's where your creativity becomes responsible for what happens next. If your craft can be considered simple and easy to use, you don't have to cheat to complete the mission and you didn't use any mods, you are a viable contestant. I want people to have fun with this.

Okey Dokey then, Here's my entry, from my Company:

based on the 'Survivability' Tech Unlock (Radial parachutes, Standard Landing legs and the LV909 Engine) I have created a spacecraft that is capable not only of flyby's of both the Mun and Minmus, but has enough fuel (Delta-V) to land on one or the other if you so wish! (Warranty void in the event of stranding Kerbals on one of the Moons...) Be warned, it can be a little wobbly to fly due to not having Struts, but these will get unlocked very soon if you have managed to use either of the first 2 ships to get this far.

Maximum Returns 3a

E315B4F059D03FAA946D15D7639E8E8CB6F79009

.craft file

Feel free to download and give her a go, and also feel free to adapt/adjust to your liking if you feel the need to! :D

EDIT: oops, just digging out the other screenshots of it now...

Edited by Cmdr. Arn1e

I still fly to the Mun a lot, and enjoy making different designs to meet different requirements. However, as I have never played career mode, I have no idea what constitutes 'top end' hardware so probably won't be able to comply with the rules as they currently stand.

I still fly to the Mun a lot, and enjoy making different designs to meet different requirements. However, as I have never played career mode, I have no idea what constitutes 'top end' hardware so probably won't be able to comply with the rules as they currently stand.

By top tier I was referring to the things you would unlock later in your career like the kerbodyne fuel tanks / gigantic engines, three man control modules. Stuff that you obviously wouldn't have right away.

Pecan: really cool stuff but I see mods in all of these screenshots except maybe the first one.

Yeah, they have a SCANSat sensor on them in those pics. Just leave them off if not installed, they aren't needed.

Yeah, they have a SCANSat sensor on them in those pics. Just leave them off if not installed, they aren't needed.

No, I'm sorry that doesn't work. If you want to enter, you're going to have to make something that doesn't have mods on it and provide the craft file and at least four screenshots demonstrating the craft doing what this challenge requires. I'm sorry but this entry is disqualified.

Okey Dokey then, Here's my entry, from my Company:

based on the 'Survivability' Tech Unlock (Radial parachutes, Standard Landing legs and the LV909 Engine) I have created a spacecraft that is capable not only of flyby's of both the Mun and Minmus, but has enough fuel (Delta-V) to land on one or the other if you so wish! (Warranty void in the event of stranding Kerbals on one of the Moons...) Be warned, it can be a little wobbly to fly due to not having Struts, but these will get unlocked very soon if you have managed to use either of the first 2 ships to get this far.

Maximum Returns 3a

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3299194632624865052/E315B4F059D03FAA946D15D7639E8E8CB6F79009/

.craft file

Feel free to download and give her a go, and also feel free to adapt/adjust to your liking if you feel the need to! :D

EDIT: oops, just digging out the other screenshots of it now...

Still waiting for your other screenshots to validate this as a working craft sir.

You should bring out your episod number 2 of that challenge.

*That challenge.

I wonder if your save game (0.22) still work.

I want to apologize to everybody right now. I'm going to cancel this challenge until I can come up with more concise guidelines. Please consider this thread closed. I will post the new challenge once I have roughed out all the rules and guidelines.

Thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.