Which do you think is easier, Blender or 3DS MAX?

I\'d like to get started in modeling, but I have no idea were to start.

• [li]Whish one do you think is easier?[/li]
    [li]What are steps to take when modeling?[/li]
    [li]What are some good things you could/can tell me to get started?[/li]
    [li]Some good tutorials?[/li]

Thank you for reading and helping me get a start.

I\'ve only used Blender.

It was my first time every making models (I\'m still a beginner) but I sunk into easily with tutorials.

If you don\'t use tutorials and have no prior modeling experience, I doubt you\'ll get anywhere in Blender.

I found a very nice beginner intro playlist on Youtube. I subscribed to the author and he has numerous tutorial playlists ranging from 'Absolute Beginner' to Experts/Advanced.

I went through about 5/6 of the 'Absolute Beginner' playlist and have found I know pretty much everything I need to make KSP models (for now).

He even goes over animations, which will soon be implemented in KSP.

However, it doesn\'t show you the steps to make a model for KSP (obviously.)

The steps required for KSP models are posted around here, but overall are incredibly simple.

Since Blender is free, I\'d really suggest that.

Everything I\'ve read says that Blender is a very good program. Not at the same par as any $600 program, but comes very close especially for being free.

And since this is just KSP, I don\'t think you\'ll ever hear me say 'You should spend $600+ on a 3D Modeling program for KSP'

But yeah, Blender is easy to use once you\'re acquainted and free.

I became 'acquainted' after about once through that tutorial I mentioned. I followed along with it in Blender. Very easy, down to earth, and understandable.

Here\'s the playlist I followed, except he\'s added on to it since I watched

The guy does have a bit of an accent, but following along really proves it doesn\'t really matter much.

I\'d start at the 4th video, 'Perspectives, and Orthogonal'

It\'s short, so even if you already covered it, it won\'t kill you to watch.

The rest may start out basic, but throughout each video he kinda goes into deeper detail and you pick up on some things.

The farthest I got was to making a subwoofer. I think I\'ll finish the rest right now :D

• 4 weeks later...

I bought 3D Studio MAX 2.5 about 14 years ago and learned it pretty well. I just started learning Blender yesterday. Studio Max is 'easier' because most of the stuff you want is visible to you or in some easy to learn menu. Additionally for the really complex stuff, I had the 4 volume reference set. I do know could sit down in 3DS and manually model a part I wanted to make (manually facing each group of tris) faster than I can even sit through the first 12 'Blender 2.6 Tutorial' videos on Youtube.

However, my first impression is that the interface in Blender is far more powerful. That may be because I have a strong grounding in 3D graphics. It\'s powerful even to the point of being 'offputting' to learn. I\'m not sure I care much for the rendering engine itself yet, but that\'s probably because I haven\'t explored a single output option, yet. No doubt there is some open source plugin renderer that is better. Please bear in mind that I haven\'t used Max since R8 and am not up on the latest enhancements.

Bonus points: Blender is free, 3DS is one of the more expensive pieces of software one can buy (that allows for commercial work, or at least it used to be).

You should still check out DAZ3D\'s software - while Hexagon is buggy at times, it is quite easy to use and pretty powerful - and the free bundle offer is still going on, so for now it\'s free.

Otherwise, 3DS Max has been my choice so far.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.