• Sun-Earth L1
    • Sun-Earth L2
    • Venus Capture
    • Mars Capture
    • Phobos Mission
    • Jupiter Moons Mission
    • Saturn Moons Mission
    • Interstellar Space

Does anyone think theres a certain section after page 64 that I should hunt down and read? Or would you guys say i've read enough? Cause I still have some free time to keep reading through it if need be.

Also, I have a company in the rocket builder thread, and a few of them seem interested in this project. Want me to advertise that our company supports the KSP Community CubeSat? And maybe get some of my employees to help?

-snip-

$350 for 7-108x zoom! (might generate images of high enough resolution to cause issues with downlinking to earth? Depends on radio.)

http://tinyurl.com/pack7u2

Looks great, but this one appears to be 120 mm long, which is larger than a 1U's 100 mm sides and therefore isn't small enough, unless I missed something. The cheap one would fit, though.

Looks great, but this one appears to be 120 mm long, which is larger than a 1U's 100 mm sides and therefore isn't small enough, unless I missed something. The cheap one would fit, though.

Mostly I was just tossing those out to show that it would be possible to get a small microscope if that is something we want to use.

I wonder if a university would be interested in donating some moss that has some flourescent modifications to help study whatever it is that we might study.

Endersmens, It'd be great if you could put that on your rocket builders company, so please do that! Thanks for doing it in advance. :)

and oarum, believe us, the plant we're going to put in it, moss (Perhaps Amazon java moss?), is really small, and can fit into the tiny space we want to put it in, so we can fit the plant section into a 0.5U area, as other people have pointed out.

Right now I am waiting on Luis to provide feedback on what type of moss to use and such. Once classes start up on thursday he will be more free to chat.

And Endersmens, unfortunately its probably just best to read it all through. There isn't much in the way of a particularly impactful page. Also, what in the way of support are you able to give from your company?

I was not trying to disrespect you or anything, it's just that we believe that we can do it in a 1U CubeSat, that's all.

EDIT: Also, K^2, on an unrelated note, should I create a poll on another thread (That I could create) for a vote on what the name of or CubeSat should be? I think one of the names should be KerbSat (I'm going to vote for that one), but if you do allow me to do it, how long should the poll be voteable and what should the 9 other names be?

Edited by Nicholander

Right now I am waiting on Luis to provide feedback on what type of moss to use and such. Once classes start up on thursday he will be more free to chat.

And Endersmens, unfortunately its probably just best to read it all through. There isn't much in the way of a particularly impactful page. Also, what in the way of support are you able to give from your company?

Well. We aren't huge, we have about 15 employees. But our company has 12,000 views and goes up about 150-200 on a good day. We could put on our page that we support this project, with a link. We could also set up a way for employees and visitors to donate to the cause. (besides just redirecting them here, that way we can put our company as a support of the project, and maybe if you make a list of donaters, we could be on it. Double advertising.)

Alright! Also, as for donations, don't expect too much. But, What i will do for that, is ask anyone in our company who is interested in donating, to state so, either on the company or through PM to me, and then I will pass it on to K^2, or whoever is in charge of donations, so that they can work out how it is done. I do ask that if this happens, the donations manager makes it known somehow that that amount was contributed by FIST though. If it's not too much trouble.

Also, if any of you want to check out FIST, go ahead! Link's in my sig

Yeah K^2, you REALLY need to update that first page soon, you said you would 2 days ago, but nothing has changed on the first page, not that I'm angry or anything, I just think you should do it pretty soon to stop posts like this.

Also, does anyone have a link to the donation pledges page on Google docs that we set up, I that should be in the first post to and should be in your companies page, Endersmens.

EDIT: Also, Endersmes, 2 things: 1), I can't see the link to it in your signature, but I went to the FIST thread through your forum posts page, and found Fist there. 2) I don't see any new link to it on the first page, and it was last updated 3 days ago.

Edited by Nicholander

Right now I'm not exactly aware of anybody that is actually in charge of donations. I would be hesitant to select someone until we have a slightly more formalized team structure. Not that I don't trust people, but I've seen projects where the person chosen with the money super early didn't get their way on something so they walked with the money and it caused the projects collapse. In a more formalized structure we'd at least have some sort of team agreement passed around and signed to ensure such things don't happen, codify our approach (for example, open sourcing it all, making the data free for research, etc).

Right now a link is probably best until we actually wind up with a donation setup, which may initially be a kickstarter, following that we could have a more traditional donation page.

Yeah K^2, you REALLY need to update that first page soon, you said you would 2 days ago, but nothing has changed on the first page, not that I'm angry or anything, I just think you should do it pretty soon to stop posts like this.

I'm in the middle of the move. I should have time early next week, but not until then. Sorry for any inconvenience caused by this poor timing.

Edit: One more thing. At some point, we'll need to test positioning and communications at high altitude. I seem to recall that some forumers were also considering a high-altitude balloon. Is that still happening? Because if they can use a mockup of our cubesat, with CPU, GPS, and transceiver, as a payload, it would save us a lot of trouble with testing.

Edited by K^2

I believe there was a discussion earlier about how GPS recievers in the US have legal limits for altitude and speed (to prevent them from being used in ballistic missiles and the like) so we'd need to either get special permission of some sort for one that was disabled or import one from somewhere else. I suppose we can start attempting to put together an "Avionics" package.

I actually just found out that WPI once had a cubesat project that never got off the ground (literally), and they had purchased radio equipment and such. So I will be looking into that when I visit the campus on Friday.

Even if they simply own a ground station that we could use, that would be fantastic.

And yes, GPS units are supposed to have certain limitations, but it's possible to buy unlocked units. It's a fairly relevant question in the field of high powered "amateur" rocketry, so I've come across people who knew where to get unlocked units in the past. I'll try to track down the relevant info again.

Ah....so not a real incorporated entity...yeah, I got confused.

Well. yeah. Sorry for the confusion. (although i'm pretty positive i remember saying "company in the rocket builders thread")

But, I do have a job. It's a small business. (it's a corn maze and fun farm) I "could" make a poster about this. And maybe give people who are interested a way to contact someone here. I think it would be great if we could set up a website for this. (I might take a look into doing that if that is desired) then I could give them the website and they could donate through that.

EDIT: yeah, post 951. I did mention it was a rocket builder company. Sorry about the confusion anyways though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.