The most expensive part

smart013

Since the waiting game goes on... What do you think should / would be the most expensive part per launch either in stock and/or in mods? My money would go to the warpdrive in ksp interstellar. Any suggestions?

Ion engine or Nuclear engine probably,Because they are kinda experimental parts,and still developing.

I hadn't thought about that. The default, go-to, every-day inter-planetary engine, the LV-N costing a lot. I may need to reconsider every standard rocket build I've ever saved if that stupid thing costs a fortune after the update.

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being the Cubic Octagonal Strut, in an effort to discourage using it to circumvent every structural limitation ever.

I've almost never used those. How are they used in this fashion?

Ha, actually in Manley's first 0.24 preview video he put out yesterday he used them to place two Mk1 pods on top of a small stack so he could save a stranded Kerbal and still have room to bring his pilot back with him.

edit:

XHIMRub.png

edit2: actually looking at the tree, the strut is a far later tech than multi-Kerbal pods, so perhaps this was a terrible example.

Edited by Franklin

It's a double ended attachment point that allows you to stick anything to anything. I'm pretty sure you're just having a brain fart and know this already!

The EAS-4 strut connector. If you were to take away any part in the game, that would definitely be the one which would hurt my space program, and I think everyone's, the most.

I remember the days before I discovered struts. My rockets weren't very good back then. Well, actually they were very impressive and I now look back on the pre-strut pre-asparagaus times and go "How was I ever able to get that far without struts?"

Edited by No one

I must be doing something wrong, cause I rarely use strouts. Even my cross-planetary launch system uses only 4 of them, and often I don't use any at all.

Though whackjob isn't my thing so that must be why....

I must be doing something wrong, cause I rarely use strouts. Even my cross-planetary launch system uses only 4 of them, and often I don't use any at all.

Did you play pre-0.23.5? Before the joints got strengthened struts were a necessity to prevent pretty much any non-trivial rocket from shaking apart. I probably overstrut my ships now, old habits die hard.

Ha, actually in Manley's first 0.24 preview video he put out yesterday he used them to place two Mk1 pods on top of a small stack so he could save a stranded Kerbal and still have room to bring his pilot back with him.

edit:

XHIMRub.png

edit2: actually looking at the tree, the strut is a far later tech than multi-Kerbal pods, so perhaps this was a terrible example.

It's also a terrible example because those are modular girders under the pods, not cubic octagonal struts. The modular girders can be mounted and rotated just like the COS.

Oh, and probably nukes will be the most expensive. Gotta pay them government registration fees for the reactors.

Edited by LethalDose

Full fuel tanks will be expensive!

This was my first thought as well. The full size 3.75m Kerbodyne tank is going to cost a fortune just by virtue of all the fuel it contains. Mark my words, it'll be more expensive than a LV-N by far.

edit:

XHIMRub.png

Yes, you can also use the BZ-52 docking port looking like thing for the same and its designed for that.

I use the cubic octagonal struts a lot for getting light stuff away from the core.

Very practical for stuff like probe rover wheels, solar panels and so on, current price is low.

Currently most expensive parts is

rapier is 5900

25x4 is 5900

ion engines is 5700 who is pretty expensive for a so small part.

ground support pylons (launching clamps) is 5000 however they can always be recovered at 98%

the lab is 4000