Better SSTO Spaceplane Challenge (0.23.5+0.24) Fin!

Better SSTO Spaceplane Challenge (Part1-10)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Better SSTO Spaceplane Challenge (Part1-10)

• Voculus - Beak of Darkness - Mod (non-FAR)
    • GluttonyReaper - Heavy SSTO - Stock
    • Darren9 - B9 Spaceplane1 - Mod (non-FAR)
    • Teutooni - Alrai SSTO+VTOL - Stock
    • Overfloater - Astro-Cruiser - Stock
    • KandoKris - Roger Rescue - Stock
    • O-Doc - Robin v1.0 - Stock
    • Master Tao - Skathi - Mod (FAR)
    • eempc - Iolite Mk1 - Mod (Non-FAR)
    • SkyRender - Airbus Kerbin - Stock

Entry removed. Ambiguous rules by OP.

@Fengist : You can think in this way. A VTOL that capable of takeoff horizontally and Land horizontally. Your previous entry are a very good VTOL, but lack of the capabilities of horizontal takeoff/landing. You might ask why, well, thats the rules. Sorry for that.

@Overfloater Great Entry.

6 days remaining for this challenge.

Edited by Sirine

6 days remaining for this challenge.

It is the 23rd of July 2014. The date on the first page states 31 July 2014.

Challenge Rules.

1) There will be PUBLIC poll-voting. After challenge close 31-July-2014. Only participants are allow to vote. And you can NOT vote for yourself.

23 - 31 = 8.

It is the 23rd of July 2014. The date on the first page states 31 July 2014.

23 - 31 = 8.

My mistake. It should be until 31-August-2014.

Well, my place already 24th of 2014 (+8 GMT).

My mistake. It should be until 31-August-2014.

Well, my place already 24th of 2014 (+8 GMT).

I figured it was a minor oversight, it happens to the best of us.

Anyway, I am progressing nicely on getting my SSTO program back up and running after .24. Finally got most of my mods working again, but my core one is not up yet. But I have a far more functional SSTO than I ever imagined for just simple science gathering missions. And it is a joy to fly, actually lands at 170mph as opposed to some of my other craft which land at over 200.

Looking like a interesting comp so far from whates been submitted so far will be a hard choice for voting :sticktongue:

My Entry - A day in the life of Jeb... and team

0.24 SSTO 1

m36VaKQ.jpg

Able to reach breakneck speeds on a single turbo jet

Fa6dcav.jpg

Reach orbit with tonnes to spare

KZq6uuU.jpg

To rescue kerbals

7kNB3fG.jpg

Ma0yZK1.jpg

eDIrEwd.jpg

it will also reach minmus on a full tank but wont return

SxxlLMj.jpg

File

craft

Edited by KandoKris
oh craft description is blank but 1 & 2 for engines

What do you mean cant see I can see it. turn up the brightness on your moniter :cool:

zGvlrym.jpg

Besides if you dont believe ... download and try for yourself.

This thing fly's so easy anyone can make orbit with fuel to spare and I'm yet to get a spin-out with it

and I've made over 6 rescue's and 4 trips to my station and back since I started 0.24

The only issue I have with this craft is that the radial air intakes are a little closer to the docking port then I'd like but it was orginally made for use without the ram intakes and only the standard jet engine, which also made orbit !!!.

Oh and No part Alt F12 used in its construction or flight either so no part clipping just good old fashioned STOCK build techniques. Cause thats how I role... These days

Edit ;

Ive been playing with this little desgin and wanted to add a few pics of the results. It is balanced well enough to to handle nuke rockets and makes orbit still with ease enabling it to reach mun even with the extra cockpit or science equipment attached. Also part count is 55 Mass is ... I dont know as I dont have redux or mechjeb

Javascript is disabled. View full album
. Edited by KandoKris
needed to add my 2cents

I have to admit, it was really hard to choose a winner. In my catalogue, that is. :)

After BSC I think the primary judging criterea are "cool sci-fi looks". It came down to either the Hawk(military SSTO) or the Robin. The Robin won! So, here it is.

I am going to break the rules in relation to a few cosmetic things such as keeping the engines all in a single stage, putting ascent profile in the description and action group explainations. Why? I want to visually see my action groups, I don't like to tell others how to play the game and if you're too lazy to familiarise yourself with craft action groups in the action groups interface prior to take off then, please don't fly my craft. Simple as that. They've had too much design time and expertise put into them for lazy pilots to appreciate. Ouch!

What can I say? I've got heavy lifters and massive delta-v SSTOs. However, I get the most joy out of my smaller craft and this is one of the most fun to fly. Extreme maneuverability with SAS-free flying, all perfectly balanced without any hidden flight surfaces. She's not a working craft, 100% pure funzies.

Download: Robin v1.0

I don't know but why there are no discussion going on? Nobody care about others build?

I think most people are just coming to get up to speed on .24.2 and what ever mods they may or may not be using. I expect a few entries soon.

I think most people are just coming to get up to speed on .24.2 and what ever mods they may or may not be using. I expect a few entries soon.

Yes, and I had one that was just about ready to go before the FAR 14.1 nerf. Suddenly, my one RAPIER just wasn't going to cut it anymore. Just need to do a few test landings on the new variant to make sure it works.

Yes, and I had one that was just about ready to go before the FAR 14.1 nerf. Suddenly, my one RAPIER just wasn't going to cut it anymore. Just need to do a few test landings on the new variant to make sure it works.

Samething, well you can see my argument in the FAR thread over that nerf. But I have since redesigned one craft, and haven't got around to doing others yet. Waiting on a few other mods to update to fix some issues.

Skathi

A light-duty, family-friendly SSTO spaceplane: 4 passengers and a 4.5 ton cargo.

Highlights

• Enjoy gentle flight from take off (no pitch up required) to touch down (55 m/s).
  • Fully fueled by your dealer with a generous 200 m/s ÃŽâ€v margin for error.
  • Climb at 50% throttle – no more Aerodynamic Failures!
  • Demonstration payload, a Minmus lander included at no extra charge!

Specifications

Mass: 13 tons

Passengers: 4 Kerbals (must be friendly)

Rated payload capacity: 4.5 tons

Maneuver dV after 100 km orbital insertion: 200 m/s

Requires SP+ and FAR or NEAR. Supports DRE.

Recommended additional plugins: TAC Fuel Balancer, Kerbal Flight Data, NavUtilities

How much, you ask? Surely she's more than √100,000!

No, not at all, my friend. Skathi can be yours today for the low, low price of just √36,379.1!*

Buy Skathi at your local dealer today!

Full flight instructions are included below with general guidelines in the craft description.

Action groups

1: Toggle RAPIER mode

6: Increase canard flap deflection

7: Decrease canard flap deflection

8: Increase collective flap deflection

9: Decrease collective flap deflection

0: Toggle RAPIER and OMS

Pre-flight

1. Lock brakes
  2. Cut throttle
  3. Check control surface deflections
  4. Check flap deflections
  5. Stage to activate RAPIERs
  6. Check RAPIER mode toggle
  7. Check OMS
  8. Reenable automatic RAPIER mode toggle
  9. Enable DCA
  10. Set DCA scaling speed to 200 m/s???
  11. Set AoA limiter to ±20°
  12. Enable yaw damper
  13. Check cargo bay for stowaways#

Launch

1. Confirm RAPIERs active
  2. Set flaps to position 3
  3. Set throttle to maximum
  4. Release brakes
  5. At 110 m/s, pitch up < 5°
  6. Take off at 120 m/s
  7. Decrease flap deflection to 0
  8. Reduce throttle to 50%
  9. Maintain pitch of 15° and speed < Mach 0.8
  10. Climb to 5 km

Transsonic to Climb

Preconditions

• Altitude 5 km
  • Speed Mach 0.8–0.9

1. Set canard flap deflection to 1
  2. Increase throttle to 100%
  3. Maintain pitch of 10°–15°
  4. Climb to 6–8 km, speed Mach 1.2
  5. Decrease throttle to 50%
  6. Increase canard flap deflection to 2
  7. Check fuel balance – maintain LF/OX balance between forward and rear tanks
  8. Climb to 15 km

Run

Preconditions

• Altitude > 15 km
  • Speed > Mach 2

1. Maintain pitch of 10°–15°
  2. Increase throttle to 75%
  3. Climb to 20 km
  4. Maintain pitch of 5°–10° and AoA < 10°
  5. Hold altitude until speed > Mach 4
  6. Increase throttle 100%
  7. Climb to 25 km and Mach 5

Suborbital to Orbital Insertion

Preconditions

• Altitude 25 km
  • Speed Mach 5
  • Vertical climb less than 10 m/s

1. Pitch up to 15°
  2. Switch RAPIERs to closed cycle
  3. Gradually pitch down to 0° AoA as time to AP exceeds 1:00
  4. Cut throttle when AP exceeds 100 km
  5. Maintain prograde heading
  6. When altitude > 65 km, open cargo bay doors, extend solar panels
  7. Swap RAPIERs and OMS
  8. Engage OMS at AP for circularization

Deorbit and Aerobraking

1. Burn retrograde until PE is 30 km, 30° E of KSC
  2. Maintain AoA of 85°–90° from 70–55 km altitude
  3. Decrease AoA to 45° by 45 km altitude
  4. Decrease AoA to 20°–30° by 20 km altitude
  5. Lower pitch to increase glide range as needed
  6. At 100 km from KSC choose runway 09 or 27 based on altitude

Approach and Landing

• Glideslope at 8 tons is 5°
  • Requires southward jog around mountains, or overflying KSC

1. Targets (distance, altitude, speed):

1. Touch down at 50–60 m/s
    2. Set flaps to 0
    3. Apply brakes

#Very important, or you will not go to space today

Downloads:
      Skathi with dummy payload
      Skathi with demonstrated payload (must read flight instructions)
      *Limited time offer, price subject to change without notice. Price does not include struts, fuel, or snacks. Electrical system sold separately.
  2. 30 km, 3.5 km, 135 m/s - set flaps to 1
  3. 20 km, 2.2 km, 100 m/s
  4. 15 km, 1.5 km, 90 m/s
  5. 10 km, 1 km, 80 m/s - set flaps to 2
  6. 2 km, 250 m, 60 m/s
  7. 500 m - set flaps to 3
Edited by Master Tao
Update link with dummy payload

Iolite Mk1 forward-swept versatility spaceplane.

The Mk2 and Mk3 versions sacrifice performance to gain STOL and VTOL capability.

Maximum turbojet speed: 2,260 m/s

Mass (take-off): 46 tonnes

Dry mass: 22 tonnes

Parts: 165 (39 struts)

Atmospheric powerplant: 4* turbojets

Vacuum powerplant: 2* LV-N

Size: medium, no idea dimensions

Armament: none

Payload is variable and you can put whatever you want in the cargo bay. This is long-range passenger ferry configuration with an extra fuel tank and 6 economy class seats in the cargo bay. It possesses 4 first class seats in the cabin and is operated by 2 crew members.

F346C5837859155A8BF93BB447CD2629EE2F5F57

Take off at >115 m/s at ~ 10 degree pitch

2A9E578037C49017623BB41B9E269E2F19FC12BF

Keep an eye out on the intake air and throttle down to ensure the ratio does not exceed 1:10.

3113894F7A069E292487909672DA8DAAEEAA3FAA

Orbital insertion complete. Not my best piloting this time. Looks like I forgot to ditch the TAC-LS stuff since it isn't on for this sandbox savegame, and I have way too much oxidiser for Laythe.

F283717656D4C430AB0B1EEC23D8FAAD7B3ACE81

Not relevant but here is its future destination:

8ACE9E7C7ACA8215715E442D2E830526265690F8

Craft file: https://www./?59p219kjhkle5nl

MechJeb, Spaceplane Plus, Rastar Prop, Infernal Robotics are needed for this file, although the last 2 are only used for IVA.

nice design eempc I must admit I love the look of the spaceplane parts mod if only I didn't have these dam stock only view now I would so get thar :( never-the-less... what you have there is a great looking plane with a long list of capabilities.

I see this was extended I was away for a while but have a SSTO I am 90% happy with. Are submissions still being accepted through to the end of the month?

Yes. All are welcome. Main point is how others likes your plane.

Presenting the Airbus Kerbin.

airbus_kerbin3.jpg

Escape Velocity's premiere "liesure-liner" spaceplane, the Airbus Kerbin takes passengers into low-Kerbin orbit. Seats 24 passengers plus the pilot.

Action Groups:

1 - Solar Arrays

3 - Ladders

0 - Switch Modes

Ascent Profile: At full throttle, reach the end of the runway and pull up sharply (but not too sharply!). Gradually tilt up to 75 degrees, and hold until ~7000m. Begin tilting downwards so as to reach 45 degrees at 10,000m. Continue to gradually tilt down as you go, aiming for a stable 15- to 20-degree tilt by 20,000m. Maintain altitude between 20,000 and 22,000m while attaining a speed of 1,400m/s minimum. Once up to speed, switch modes with 0 and point towards 45 degrees, cutting throttle back to 75% to prevent engines from exploding. Raise apoapsis to 75km, then tilt to 0 degrees and keep apoapsis around 70,500m minimum as necessary. Circularize at apoapsis.

Be sure to save a small amount of fuel for landing (50 liquid fuel recommended).

airbus_kerbin.jpg

Post-orbital insertion.

airbus_kerbin2.jpg

And the return landing.

Edited by SkyRender

Hi fellow Kerbonauts, I take this challenge on with my S2-5M SSTO spaceplane (a cool name, for sure).

I've used the B9 Aerospace mod, because it's a great mod for spaceplanes and because whenever I build a spaceplane with stock parts only, it always ends up looking like a '80s Volvo : sturdy but inelegant (to say the least).

She's powered by 5 Sabre M and 4 LV-N which give her plenty of thrust and endurance. The CoM is right in the middle of the payload bay, so the payload weight won't shift the CoM. The CoL is just behind the CoM for good maneuvrability and to avoid a nose or tail heavy ship. Keep it that way by transfering fuel between fuel tanks while in atmospheric flight (TaC Fuel Balancer is recommended).

Action groups

---------------

1. Toggle Sabre engines

2. Switch Sabre engines mode (air / vac)

3. Toggle air intakes

0. Toggle LV-N engines

Ascent profile (Kerbin, w/o payload)

----------------------------------------

1. Takeoff : 100 m/s.

2. Ascent : 0 - 6 km @ 90°, 6 - 12 km @ 60°, 12 - 18 km @ 40°, 18 - 24 km @ 20°, 24 - 30 km @ 10°.

3. Keep altitude around 30 - 31 km until speed > 1700 m/s (surf).

4. Switch Sabres to vac mode, activate LV-Ns and pull to 30° angle.

5. When apoapsis > 60 km, shutdown Sabres and go prograde.

6. When apoapsis > 70 km, shutdown LV-Ns.

7. Wait for apoapsis, circularize.

Ship specifications

---------------------

Mod used : B9 Aerospace

Parts count : 200

Dry / wet mass : 83 / 158 tons

Payload capacity : 54 tons

Crew capacity : 4

Sabres max thrust : ~400 tons

LV-Ns max thrust : 24 tons

Atm / vac dV : 54000 m/s / 4900 m/s

Takeoff speed : 100 m/s

Landing speed : 60 m/s

Electric charge : 800 units + 4 RTG

There are 201 parts in the ship presented in the album because of the Mechjeb module used to show telemetry. Mechjeb module, rover and merry-go-round are not included in craft file.

Download craft file --> here <--

Fly safe.

Sensi.

I have a few entries I could enter, I don't know if multiple entries are allowed but here's one I'm rather proud of. It doesn't have much practical game purposes aside from the kerbal rescue missions as it does have a B9 two seater cockpit

SF-38 Silvershadow MKIII

Yes there was a MK II and a Mk I before it which are not being entered. This is the next generation in the ASF (Advanced Star Fighter) program. This craft is designed to be light, agile, sustain itself under extreme maneuvers and have a small internal weapons (cargo) bay a 2m one to be exact. This version of the Silvershadow (craft file will be included in this post at a later time) is the export model where I changed the description for the rules and removed my B9 sensor package to reduce cost. The KRAF, Kerbal Royal Air Force, actually requested that for the export model the advanced sensor package should not be included per military contract obligations :huh:. Anyway this craft does use a fair amount of mods.

MOD LIST:

Tac life support v 9

B9

Procedural wings

Flys with FAR and Deadly Re-entry

KW Rocketry fuel tanks and batteries

Mech Jeb

And I want to say that is it as I'm not 100%. It may require Kerbonov and Firespitter but I don't think I put any parts from those mods on this this rocket fighter though I do have them on my install.

Technical data:

Cost: 53,852

Part Count: 78

Weight loaded: 20.57t

Dry weight: 11.89T

Crew Capacity: 2

SABRE engine max thrust: In atmosphere about 360 nm I believe with FAR enabled, I am not sure in a vacuum I would guess around 430 nm

Mono propellant engines max thrust: 40 nm in vacuum

Take off Speed: around 120 ms

Landing speed: around 70 to 90ms

Payload: Light as there is only a 2 m cargo bay! Load it up with sepatrons in its weapons system and fire away :D

Max ceiling in stable orbit without refueling: A bit over 600km

Action groups

1 SABRE engines toggle on off

2 SABRE engines switch mode and close intakes

3 Mono propellant engines toggle on off

4 increase flap deflection

5 decrease flap deflection

6 air brakes

7 cargo

there are also parachutes if you need them to slow down on re-entry available through staging on the second stage

Take off procedure

1. Verify funcitonality of all control surfaces and press t to turn on SAS

2. press 5 to retract flaps one setting

3. press 1 to fire engines

4. start pitching up around 70 to 80ms per second, take off speed is between 110 ms and 120 ms.

5. once air borne press 5 to fully retract flaps and g to retract landing gear

6. maintian an angle of attack of 45 to 70 degrees until you reach 16k to 18k

7. keep an eye on intake air supply as you make yuour way into orbit, it should run out of air at 31.5k approximately. You want to stay in air breathing mode until about 1700 ms or just over which is the peak speed in airbreathing. When that happens, press 2 to swich SABER engines to closed cycle.

Again, working on the best way to host it for download so check back for the download link but I have plenty of photos!

6G1vyAI.jpg

4FYPl79.jpg

Full Album http://imgur.com/a/KrMTJ#0

Other notes:

The craft was created out of trial and error. The original Silvershadow used RAPIER engines with no canards with the same tri vertical stabilizer setup. It had issues at low speeds though and maneuverability problems as it's delta wings where swept into the middle. The MKII looks exactly like the MKIII except it has RAPIER engines and KSP interstellar precoolers. This craft, even fully loaded with the newest version of FAR, can do barrel rolls, loopdy loops, cobra rolls, etc. It can fly straight vertical in the atmosphere under full throttle up to about 17km or so. It's VERY powerful! Not the cheapest for what it is but you get what you pay for! A high preforming multimode starfighter!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ovxedsy5mkkkt9/SF-39%20Silvershadow%20Mk%20III%20Export.craft

Ok I think I got it right. I never used imgur or dropbox before. I don't know how to get the whole album to display in this post as this forum doens't seem to allow html code that imgur uses for the embedded album.

Edited by StevenJ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.