[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Skylab - (Compatible with DECQ, OLDD, FASA) - 7-24-21

raidernick

I will be working on making the TRS for boosting it

Really?! That's awesome! Any plans for ASTP too? Basically everything post Apollo and pre shuttle that was don't with the Saturn V?

I wonder if it would be difficult to make ASTP using parts that already exist. Tantares, I believe, has parts to build the Soyuz. It isn't colour-correct -- the ASTP Soyuz was green with white visibility stripes -- but it'd be close. And it might not be too hard to build the docking adapter. Alas, without the APAS-75 docking port parts, it won't look quite right, but you can get close.

Sending a crew won out. Here's Skylab!

162792CB2ED1D7290278E71AB5A9F416051E659B

I'm pondering sending up another to get some photos of two docked simultaneously. Fortunately, that never happened as the second port was there for emergency purposes only.

I wonder if it would be difficult to make ASTP using parts that already exist. Tantares, I believe, has parts to build the Soyuz. It isn't colour-correct -- the ASTP Soyuz was green with white visibility stripes -- but it'd be close. And it might not be too hard to build the docking adapter. Alas, without the APAS-75 docking port parts, it won't look quite right, but you can get close.

Sending a crew won out. Here's Skylab!

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/43100347191322967/162792CB2ED1D7290278E71AB5A9F416051E659B/

I'm pondering sending up another to get some photos of two docked simultaneously. Fortunately, that never happened as the second port was there for emergency purposes only.

What's wrong with Bobcats Soyuz? Or even HGR has a good Soyuz.

Nothing, I'm sure -- just wasn't aware of those! I'll look for them and see which I like.

The TRS looks great. It was designed to fly on either Titan IIIC or Shuttle, and FASA already comes with the Titan, so it won't take much work to plop the TRS on top of it and send it up.

Nothing, I'm sure -- just wasn't aware of those! I'll look for them and see which I like.

The TRS looks great. It was designed to fly on either Titan IIIC or Shuttle, and FASA already comes with the Titan, so it won't take much work to plop the TRS on top of it and send it up.

Oh man you're new? Well here you go, experience the wonder, awe, and frustration that is Bobcat Inc. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/81754-Release-BobCat-Ind-Space-Planet-products

The TRS boost module is LIVE!

V0.5

-Added TRS boost module for station

-Fixed collision meshes, ships should no longer pass through the station

-Tweaked the nose cone decouplers again to hopefully decouple better

Edited by raidernick

If there is a broken version and an unbroken version of the skylab, why leave the broken in it? :huh:

Not sure what you mean. The actual station broke during launch, so the one with the gold and missing panel is what it actually looked like. The "unbroken" version is what it SHOULD have looked like if it hadn't broken. I include two separate versions for this reason.

Not sure what you mean. The actual station broke during launch, so the one with the gold and missing panel is what it actually looked like. The "unbroken" version is what it SHOULD have looked like if it hadn't broken. I include two separate versions for this reason.

OH ok that clears it up. I thought it was like Broken, broken, but now I understand.

OH ok that clears it up. I thought it was like Broken, broken, but now I understand.

Read about it from the NASA history office here: http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4208/ch14.htm. Here's a nice photo of Skylab in orbit -- notice the missing solar array and the jury-rigged heat shield.

The other station to receive extensive repairs in orbit and to be successfully revived was Salyut 7, but that damage was all internal.

sp1989 -- thank you! I now have a TON of new stuff to play with! Looking forward to tossing Lunokhod onto a rocket and exploring the Moon.

Edited by Mira

I would like to point out that the issues going on with the stock radial decouplers are affecting this mod. Right now there is an issue with the radial decouplers where ejected parts are flying back into the main body and causing explosions. The fairings on this mod use this module and as such are breaking the solar panels and sometimes the entire ship when jettisoned. To solve this, for now only decouple the micrometeorite shields and fairings when NOT accelerating or in physics/time warp, otherwise you WILL break the solar panels and perhaps the entire ship. There is no known fix at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Nick, I can't open your unbroken .craft file because of locked/invalid parts. I have the complete FASA kit, am I missing something?

If you go ahead and try to open the craft file anyway it will tell you exactly which parts are missing. The part names may be a bit cryptic, but at least you'll have something to go on.

It's possible ferram changed the docking cone in his kit to use the one from the oldd mod instead. If this is the case I'll need to update the craft files.

EDIT: Just checked the unbroken file. I actually forgot to put the docking cone on the station in that file. So it only contains parts from this mod. This means you installed the mod incorrectly if you can't open it. I make all my craft files on 100% stock games to insure there is never a part included from another mod by accident(unless it needs one like fasa).

Edited by raidernick

Updated V0.53

-Updated FASA craft files to fix missing docking cones

I also included an optimal ascent profile for mechjeb in the first post. You can use the same profile if you are flying manually as well. This is for people having trouble getting into orbit as I made it intentionally difficult to launch the station. You need to fly a STEEP ascent profile, not a shallow one as the station is very heavy.

I would also request that comments/problems with this mod are posted in THIS thread not in frizzank's. I am not monitoring his thread and if you post there you won't receive a response.

Edited by raidernick

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.