[0.24] steam 64bit

mastershotgun

As I understand it... Us with Steam will have 2 .exe files for KSP. One that's 32 and one that 64. all we need to do is pick which one to use. I'm unsure if there will be any special interface to do that in steam... I can always just navigate to the KSP file on my computer and directly start up the version I want... but How do I instruct steam to start one or the other? Which one does does it default to?

As I understand it... Us with Steam will have 2 .exe files for KSP. One that's 32 and one that 64. all we need to do is pick which one to use. I'm unsure if there will be any special interface to do that in steam... I can always just navigate to the KSP file on my computer and directly start up the version I want... but How do I instruct steam to start one or the other? Which one does does it default to?

That's what I wanna know.

I don't have KSP on steam, but I've got some other games on steam that can either be 32 or 64 bit and I think steam asked me which one I wanted to start when I hit play.

On Linux (for 0.23.5) it defaults to the 32-bit version but both are installed. You have to manually edit the steam config to have it launch the 64-bit version.

Like Micha said, Linux has both on Steam already and Windows will probably have a similar fix, or right click the game, go to properties, and tweak the launch options accordingly....or if you're like me and you play with mods, copy/paste the ksp folder somewhere else (for mod & backup purposes), right click the 64bit executable, and send a shortcut to the desktop (or wherever you want it).

I've been struggling to get excited about .24. I'm not really all that fussed about contracts, though I imagine I'll warm to the idea at some point. And i had assumed that my nearly 3 year old PC would not allow me to take advantage of the 64-bit thing.

But having looked at the specs, I have 64-bit, and I have 6g of RAM, so it looks like I'm good to go. No real idea what it means, but I'm assured there will be some sort of improvement in performance, and perhaps an increased ability to add mods without becoming a crashfest.

So yeah, excited now. When is the release again? :P

somewhere i saw a screenshot of the file sizes for the 32bit build, and the 64bit build. the 64bit was about half the size of the 32bit. so whats going to be missing from the 64bit version?

somewhere i saw a screenshot of the file sizes for the 32bit build, and the 64bit build. the 64bit was about half the size of the 32bit. so whats going to be missing from the 64bit version?

I think I saw the same one, and I think the 64bit one was in addition to the 32bit file.

I've been struggling to get excited about .24. I'm not really all that fussed about contracts, though I imagine I'll warm to the idea at some point. And i had assumed that my nearly 3 year old PC would not allow me to take advantage of the 64-bit thing.

But having looked at the specs, I have 64-bit, and I have 6g of RAM, so it looks like I'm good to go. No real idea what it means, but I'm assured there will be some sort of improvement in performance, and perhaps an increased ability to add mods without becoming a crashfest.

So yeah, excited now. When is the release again? :P

What it means is you'll be able to load more mods or use higher graphics settings (both if you have even more ram). Performance may or may not be better, but you won't suffer from out-of-memory related bugs as much. I say as much because you only have 6GB of ram which is only 2 more than 32bit KSP supports (I have 8gb ram). If your favorite mod combo crashed after a while with 0.23.5, it probably won't with 0.24 64bit. All that assumes 64bit isn't a bug fest and loads the mods up w\o crashing like the Linux 64bit does -- I can have the same mods load just fine with 32bit Windows & Linux and crash at the loading screen with 64bit Linux (0.23.5).

What it means is you'll be able to load more mods or use higher graphics settings (both if you have even more ram). Performance may or may not be better, but you won't suffer from out-of-memory related bugs as much. I say as much because you only have 6GB of ram which is only 2 more than 32bit KSP supports (I have 8gb ram). If your favorite mod combo crashed after a while with 0.23.5, it probably won't with 0.24 64bit. All that assumes 64bit isn't a bug fest and loads the mods up w\o crashing like the Linux 64bit does -- I can have the same mods load just fine with 32bit Windows & Linux and crash at the loading screen with 64bit Linux (0.23.5).

Thank you, that's helpful.

I have had a no-more-mods policy for a while now, and it will be nice if I could get one or two more

Steam will automatically update with the 64-bit version, yes. It will be downloaded as a separate executable in your KSP directory, along with the original x86 version. Currently, there is no launch parameter for Steam's Windows client to have it open the x64 by default, so you'll have to set a shortcut or navigate to it manually when you want to use it.

The x64 executable is about the same size. Nothing's missing. :)

Please see this article for further questions regarding what .24 will have. Pretty much everything we know is right there.