Testing Parts in Flight

Hello, I'm working my way through part testing contracts and the notes for the contracts says to activate the parts through staging. I saw on one of the pre-release videos that it was possible to right click a part in flight and click a "Test Part" button, but it's not there now. I understand anything can change before release and this feature could have been removed, but I was wondering if anyone has some input on this. Otherwise I gotta get a Rockomax SRB up to 3.7km and 280m/s before lighting it

Edited by MidwestB

Hello, I'm working my way through part testing contracts and the notes for the contracts says to activate the parts through staging. I saw on one of the pre-release videos that it was possible to right click a part in flight and click a "Test Part" button, but it's not there now. I understand anything can change before release and this feature could have been removed, but I was wondering if anyone has some input on this. Otherwise I gotta get a Rockomax SRB up to 3.7km and 280m/s before lighting it

This feature is still there, but only applies for parts that cannot be staged, like landing gear.

This feature is still there, but only applies for parts that cannot be staged, like landing gear.

I got a contract to test an LV-1, which is a stageable engine. The contract asked specifically to perform the test with the "run test" action. Maybe it's related to the second requirement: it had to be done in orbit around Kerbin.

I got a contract to test an LV-1, which is a stageable engine. The contract asked specifically to perform the test with the "run test" action. Maybe it's related to the second requirement: it had to be done in orbit around Kerbin.

I got that contract too. So far the LV-1 is the only engine I've had to test with Run Test. All the others have been staging.

And yes, you have to stage it (or hit Run Test) when all the requirements are met. If they are not met when you stage it, you don't get anything. Regardless of whether the requirements are met later or not.

Note that you can stage the engine even if it is out of fuel. Just drag it into the next stage and activate. This is how I completed the test of the ion engine before I had access to xenon tanks :P

you get the engine before the tanks? that... seems useless?

you get the engine before the tanks? that... seems useless?

Correct, I got a contract to test the engine but no contract to test the tank, and did not have it unlocked in the tree. But the contract paid like 130 science so I just did it anyway.

I had a jet engine test but no intakes unlocked. I decided to merge it with a test parachute and test the small rockomax.All three were at different altitudes and speeds. Then I got another contract for science from orbit and decided to do it as well. Very interesting flight.

You can do engine tests without fuel. You can do srb tests at altitude after firing the srb. (Use the right click to fire, then move the stage to the appropriate spot and hit the space bar)

You can do engine tests without fuel. You can do srb tests at altitude after firing the srb. (Use the right click to fire, then move the stage to the appropriate spot and hit the space bar)

Oooooh, EXCELLENT! I took a contract to test the Rockomax SRB without really paying attention to the conditions: suborbit at 90-frickin'-km! (And I'm VERY early in my first v0.24 game; wasn't really sure how I was going to [1] get a fully-loaded BACC that high, and then [2] FIRE IT in a way that ensured safe crew return.) I was seduced by the enormous bankroll offered for success....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.