[0.24.2] DebRefund v1.0.13

Vendan

It was a really rare bug that took me a while to figure out with KCT. Out of close to 300 people, only two people ever reported it. The way I figured out to reproduce it was to take a plane, crash head first into a building, then go to the tracking station before the rest of the debris hit the building. I'm pretty sure I narrowed it down to referencing the partRef, but that was a while ago so I may not remember perfectly. It may not fix any of the problems people are reporting now, but it might save you some headache later.

Edit: Btw, just added KCT_Utilities.AddPartToInventory(String, float). String is the name, float is the damage value. If you're looking for it on my github, it will be in the branch called dev-branch.

Edited by magico13

Kinda crazy that I haven't been able to reproduce any of that, but thanks for the advice! I've fixed those, reuploading it now. Right now, I'm just assuming the damage is essentially a float, that's applied across all the parts.

That was quick, just tested it, haven't had any issues yet, but the calculation is still off...

See, here's the thing I was talking about:

heJtP1n.png

6tsnxqR.png

Floating down at 4.5m/s, and safely landed at KSC, but DebRefund still thinks it's going to crash.

I've noticed the config-file you included in the new download, any suggestion on what values would be in line with the results seen above?

Have you updated KCT to 0.24? or does the current version work still?

I am going to release very soon, but the 0.23.5 version is not compatible and it is safe to assume that nobody will be running it and DebRefund at the same time.

Edit: The dev-branch is the update for 0.24. The main branch is the old 0.23.5 update. I like to keep them separate until I push an official update.

Edit2: I'm pretty much just waiting for you to add the KCT checks, since I've disabled all of my recovery code if KCT detects DebRefund is installed. If I release before that, then there will be a period of time when people wouldn't be getting any parts recovered at all. If you need access to a compiled version of KCT, let me know. I've always got an up to date one for my bug testers.

Edited by magico13

Could somebody at least acknowledge that the issues I'm having aren't imaginary? :confused:

Even using your math, 3 chutes should be more than enough to land the damn thing safely, but even 6 don't...

What's going on, am I the only one having those issues?

EDIT:

For that matter, does it work with RealChute or not?

The OP ain't exactly clear on that....

Edited by Sesambrot

Right now I am having very unreliable results. It sometimes does not refund anything. With no message at all (v1.0.8). I have FAR. No other mods that could conflict far as I know.

Also, while it may be trivial to some, there is no install guide on the OP. Like this little mod but having trouble getting it to work it right now :(

Edit: typo.

I switched to DebRefund 1.0.8, restarted KSP and switched to a vessel - the kraken ate it and KSP hung. The log was full of Null ref pointers and DebRefund messages about destroying things (7 or 8 of them). I removed DebRefund after trying a few times with the same result and the save is fine again.

Yeah, I am able to replicate the disappearing 100%.

I have simple setup of modular segment I let go (no parachutes) , and then drop my main tank with chutes, the segment registers a hard hit. But once the main tank hits 2.5km distance, no log of land status, no refund.

I ended up doing some testing with RealChutes and DebRefund just to see what would happen, and oddly enough, it works just fine from what I have seen so far. The only things that I found interesting were that in one test run, a piece of debris which was above me was collected and refunded just because it went out of range in the sky before my pod which had no chute hit the ground. The other time when I was testing, I got no notifications on some parts while others got all green marks. Has anyone else tried using RealChutes as well? The post says that it is incompatible but it doesn't seem so. Off to do some more testing.

Also to add, when the above "disappearance" without refund or report of status happens. It sometimes zeroes the fame, money and science you see while flying. But they are all still there when you go back to the space centre.

(again, no RealChutes, I do have FAR)

if you read the changelog on kerbalstuff realshutes is in there

also anyone using realshutes make sure you set it up to arm automatically when detached do this from the space centre

Edited by BrutalRIP

Yea, just saw the "Adding RealChutes processing", I tried doing a stage sep while the engine is still firing with the parachutes armed so it flew above me and once it was above 2.2km above I got a notification saying it landed fine, which makes sense since it gets removed at that range, but it would be cool if the time that it would take to fall back to Kerbin could be taken into account at some point so with a piece of debris with a final calculated velocity of X m/s with deployed chutes then it would take a certain amount of time before it is collected. Obviously bug fixes are more important than this but it would be a cool future feature for people who are obsessed with small details like me :D. Anyway, great job so far, cant wait when I can finally use this in a real playthrough.

No messages at all, and it doesn't look like I'm getting refunds. Running Kethane and Engineer, but nothing like FAR or realchutes that would change the flight model, and no non-stock parts at all on the dropped stages.

There is still definitely something wrong. If I jump flight to flight the screen goes black and the log fills with a good variety of error messages plus a lot of DebRefunds destroy messages. Deleted DebRefunds and it's been happy for the last hour jumping back and forth.

I am not getting refunded on x64. I have a test vehicle that is just a command module /w parachute, a decoupler, and a small srb with 2 radial chutes. I decouple and trigger the srb chutes at burnout so it falls out of my 2.5km before I start to fall. When it hits the limit the debug log shows the part being removed then:

[Exception]: ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.

Parameter name: s

I had some other exception that I forgot to capture when I landed before the detached object and stayed in range the whole time.

Edit: forgot to list mods - no far or real chute.

I am running distant object enhancement with distant vessels disabled.

kerbel engineer

alarm clock

navball enhancement

better atmospheres

environmental visual effects - clouds only

toolbar

editor extensions

kethane

navy fish docking thing

precise node

texture replacer

Edited by bobprime

Hi! The addon sounds great, just what I wanted, but it isn't working on 0.24 x64 here. If relevant, I also have SCANSat, mechjeb, AGM, toobar and selectroot. The detached stage had wings, turbojets, tanks and radial parachutes.

I get:

[LOG 19:04:40.415] [Orbit Targeter]: Target is null

[LOG 19:04:41.676] [Orbit Targeter]: Target is null

[LOG 19:05:11.531] Hopper mun base Debris Unloaded

[LOG 19:05:11.539] Packing Hopper mun base Debris for orbit

[LOG 19:05:59.823] Active Vessel is in atmosphere. Cannot save.

[LOG 19:06:01.882] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Hopper mun base

[LOG 19:06:01.889] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Hopper mun base

[LOG 19:06:07.049] Camera Mode: AUTO

[LOG 19:06:31.313] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Hopper mun base

[LOG 19:06:39.952] Active Vessel is in atmosphere. Cannot save.

[LOG 19:06:55.260] Vessel Hopper mun base Debris was on-rails at 0.0 atm pressure and was destroyed.

[LOG 19:06:55.267] DebRefund Vessel Destroyed

[EXC 19:06:55.271] ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.

Anything I can do or do you have to fix it?

Thanks!

Hi! The addon sounds great, just what I wanted, but it isn't working on 0.24 x64 here. If relevant, I also have SCANSat, mechjeb, AGM, toobar and selectroot. The detached stage had wings, turbojets, tanks and radial parachutes.

I get:

[LOG 19:04:40.415] [Orbit Targeter]: Target is null

[LOG 19:04:41.676] [Orbit Targeter]: Target is null

[LOG 19:05:11.531] Hopper mun base Debris Unloaded

[LOG 19:05:11.539] Packing Hopper mun base Debris for orbit

[LOG 19:05:59.823] Active Vessel is in atmosphere. Cannot save.

[LOG 19:06:01.882] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Hopper mun base

[LOG 19:06:01.889] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Hopper mun base

[LOG 19:06:07.049] Camera Mode: AUTO

[LOG 19:06:31.313] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Hopper mun base

[LOG 19:06:39.952] Active Vessel is in atmosphere. Cannot save.

[LOG 19:06:55.260] Vessel Hopper mun base Debris was on-rails at 0.0 atm pressure and was destroyed.

[LOG 19:06:55.267] DebRefund Vessel Destroyed

[EXC 19:06:55.271] ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.

Anything I can do or do you have to fix it?

Thanks!

Just fixed it, download v1.0.9

Is there some rule-of-thumb method to working out how many chutes to use on a stack?

I found this calculator a little while ago, and it's proved useful for recovering stages: http://ksp.freeiz.com/. A little simple arithmatic for fuel tanks/boosters help if you don't feel like alt-tabbing to the wiki.

Edit:

Never mind. You work fast, sir. I was still typing while you updated!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.