[1.12.x] USI Exploration Pack - Small parts, big adventure! [v 0.6.0]

RoverDude

I'm currently working on a karbonite fueled one, will share when it is balanced. Right now I'm thinking it will be a two stage vehicle, using RCS for lift off and karbonite for flight, VTOL. Using MJ's SMART A.S.S. advanced tab black magic to keep gently floating.

I figured I would post a fun creation.

This is my Kerbin Rover delivery VTOL. After installing the fine print mod, I was getting a number of "explore this area with a rover" contracts. Rovers are slow. So I wanted something to transport a rover into the area faster and then complete the contract.

This has 2 mini karbonite generators, plus 2 mini karbonite drills. This helps to keep the batteries going and allows me to land and top off the tanks. It also has 3 KAS containers holding a minimal packrat rover. so I can fly to the contract location, assemble the packrat and complete the contract.

At least that is the theory. Now if only I could actually fly the damn thing it would be perfect! :sticktongue:

DgMpT5t.jpg

I figured I would post a fun creation.

This is my Kerbin Rover delivery VTOL. After installing the fine print mod, I was getting a number of "explore this area with a rover" contracts. Rovers are slow. So I wanted something to transport a rover into the area faster and then complete the contract.

This has 2 mini karbonite generators, plus 2 mini karbonite drills. This helps to keep the batteries going and allows me to land and top off the tanks. It also has 3 KAS containers holding a minimal packrat rover. so I can fly to the contract location, assemble the packrat and complete the contract.

At least that is the theory. Now if only I could actually fly the damn thing it would be perfect! :sticktongue:

http://i.imgur.com/DgMpT5t.jpg

There are a number of mods that make this possible, Mechjeb and Throttle Controlled Avionics would both work I believe. Have successfully hovered with Mech Jeb's translatron a lot.

Instructions using Mech Jeb:

Use Translatron for altitude. To use it, enter a number in the field, I like to use 1. The value is the rate at which you MJ will try to keep you moving at, in the direction you specify with the buttons. We want KEEP VERT. You can enter -1 to slowly descend and 0 to hover. It applies the change only when excecute is clicked, so you can enter a climb or decent rate, then enter 0, click off the MJ window to control flight, and when needed, click execute to begin hovering again.

CAUTION makes sure you have smart A.S.S. turned on, or something else, because things get unstable at 0 vert speed. For best results:

(set this up first: go to ADV tab, click through to surface_velocity and FORWARD)

Use smart A.S.S. SURF tab first to lock heading, pitch and roll for lift-off.

Begin forward motion using any means; RCS, vectored engines or rotated engines, alternate engines altogether, or even just pitching forward. Once surface speed is over about 10 m/s or so switch to ADV tab and click execute.

Enjoy stable, gentle gliding-like flight. Control by rolling, unclick force roll 0 in mech jeb to allow long hands free gentle curves.

WARNING: maneuvering makes you gain speed! the more turning you do, the faster you will travel. Also, there is no really fast way to suddenly climb to avoid collision in this method....be warned.

copied from github, a response to an issue requesting hovering that I posted. Hope this helps. I think throttle controlled avionics is probably better, but haven't actually gotten around to trying it out on a small hover car, or at all yet to be honest.

[...] Now if only I could actually fly the damn thing it would be perfect! :sticktongue:[...]

the critical thing here is making sure your center of mass is balanced in line with of your center of thrust. for better stability, you want your center of thrust to be above your center of mass, so that any downward pull that isn't countered will tend to turn the craft closer to where it would be balanced. this has it's limits.

RCS build Aid is a useful tool here, since it will let you see what happens if your centers are off-balance, and will help you plan for fuel usage with the average and dry centers of mass.

MechJeb is a big mod with lots of other things in it. Throttle avionics is really helpful thou, as it will adjust the various fans to keep center of mass and thrust aligned automatically. i don't think it's been updated for .24 yet, but reports in the thread say it's working as intended, so....

Thanks guys. I should specify, I can actually FLY it fine. It's the landings that kill me (literally). It is very well balanced. It's just when Roverguy says he's a bad VTOL pilot, well compared to me he is a precision stunt pilot.

Hover will be your friend.

Speaking of which...

0.2.0 PRE-RELEASE IS UP!

There may be bees - report bees, report what works :)

Stuff from Taverius:

FAR/NEAR support

Engine tweaks for the ducted fan engines

DRE support

ATM support

Better packrat wheels!

FireSpitter Hover Mode!

Other tweaks:

Corrected model for ducted fan (transform issues)

Switched to latest USI DLLs

Switched to ORSX and new CRP

The PackRat has been adjusted again - be careful, old ones may have bees.

Updated RDS cage (3.75m) with matching fairings

Ducted fans have attachment nodes and should play symmetry better

RoverDude - saw your post on Biomass regarding the USI_Converter. Do you have that documented somewhere, so that prospective mod writers can use it? I, for one, would like to have a decent standalone Resource converter to implement in some of the stuff I am working on. Having some documentation as to what the dll will accept input/output-wise, and a license for use would be handy.

If you already have this somewhere in a thread, or on the main site hosting all the mods, I wasn't able to find it and would appreciate a pointer to where I can find it. I'm not exactly awesome at finding things sometimes. ;-)

MKS/OKS is pretty awesome, BTW, and I've enjoyed seeing the recent changes and updates. Keep up the awesome work.

RoverDude - saw your post on Biomass regarding the USI_Converter. Do you have that documented somewhere, so that prospective mod writers can use it? I, for one, would like to have a decent standalone Resource converter to implement in some of the stuff I am working on. Having some documentation as to what the dll will accept input/output-wise, and a license for use would be handy.

If you already have this somewhere in a thread, or on the main site hosting all the mods, I wasn't able to find it and would appreciate a pointer to where I can find it. I'm not exactly awesome at finding things sometimes. ;-)

MKS/OKS is pretty awesome, BTW, and I've enjoyed seeing the recent changes and updates. Keep up the awesome work.

It works exactly like the TAC Generic Converter (well, close - some subtle differences in execution but the same config)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.