How difficult would it be to simulate a basic form of wind?

CaptRobau

A rudimentary form of wind on atmospheric planets would be an interesting feature. It could be used to allow balloon probes to float around the thick atmosphere of Eve, have pods on parachutes drift off slightly on the wind while descending and move floating probes on Laythe (when in the ocean, movement would probably be influenced more by current than by wind but since I imagine the same system could do both wind and current).

How difficult would that be to implement? It wouldn't need to be that complex as far I can tell. Objects where the horizontal speed is less than the vertical speed would be susceptible to some sort of phantom force that would push it around in a random direction. Then after a while the direction would change (within certain limits). Different altitudes for planets would result in different forces.

I think that the real problem is modeling the effects on the ship, not the wind itself. The simple way is to add an horizontal force to the CoM of the ship and we are good, but this wouldn't be really realistic (especially in FAR).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.