Is perfectionism driving you crazy in 0.24?

allmhuran

Perfectionist no because I'm not good enough in the first place to do things perfectly. However 0.24 has turned me into a cheapskate and I no longer bolt on everything including the kitchen sink. I guess you could say I've become sensibly cost effective to the point where as long as I'm making a profit I'm happy. :)

Not really. Money is there to be spent, just like its a weird idea to hoard science points. There is enough lucrative contracts out there so that you do not have to be perfectionist. I have been playing a conservative and efficient game from the very beginning of KSP, so I just continue playing as I was playing before.

Its actually very easy to earn Roots. This Eve Mission vehicle (EME) (land on Gilly, unmanned probe to land on Eve) cost a grand total of 110,799 Roots to put into orbit. I have just accepted a single contract to test a mainsail engine in orbit for 336,995 + 72,123 advance.

Eve_mission_zps193ed19f.jpg~original

KSP has always been an unforgiving game (/sim), but at least with 0.24 there is now much more of a point to it than an exercise in self-imposed perfectionism. I've always enjoyed the 'one mistake and it's all over' aspect, but now there are consequences beyond kicking the dog and redoing several or more hours work.

Hmm, hardly any problems with perfectionism, I take most contracts, unless they're really silly, and I just find a way to make them work, usually I just pile them up untill I can complete multiple at a time.

In the beginning, I just made it work by strapping the part to the side of a booster stage, the fact that I might lose a few 100 kerbux worth of material is easily compensated by the science points you get.

The last couple of missions I finally had a proper plane with a turbojet, an excellent and nearly cost-free way of filling in in-atmosphere contracts.

Swap a mk1 fuse to a Fl-T400 for some oxidiser and add some Rockomax 24-77's and you got a small SSTO, so testing smaller bits in LKO and suborbital flight becomes near-free too.

And landing it back on the runway is easy enough with a well-made plane. :) One thing I will be doing is leaving around a vessel or a flag near the end of the runway, so its easier to spot at night, the runway lights are only visible from a couple of kilometers, not from space.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.