Is it Possible to Test Engines While Splashed Down?

As the title asks, I received/accepted a contract to test a LV-909 Fuel Engine while splashed down at Kerbin. Of course, however, the engine is destroyed immediately upon contact with the water.

Is there a (reasonable) way to keep the engine in tact? I just started a new career and only have a small amount of parts to work with.

Edited by CumpyLustard

Use more parachutes so that you're hitting the water at less than the engine's collision tolerance, mound the engine on top of whatever you're landing, put sturdier structural pieces between the engine and the water.

Edit: If you're not prone to dizziness, build a craft symmetrical enough to be rolled via reaction wheels to the water. There's nothing saying that the test has to have *landed* in the water.

Alright, I was able to just add more parachutes to slow down my velocity and keep it in tact. It took my a couple tries (once I was safe in the water) but I think I had to shutdown the engine and reactivate it in order for the contract to complete.

I always forget about the crash tolerance of parts, and I just kind of assumed water always destroyed engines and fuel tanks. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I hope my necromancy is acceptable:

You don't need to get fancy rolling a craft to the water.  Instead, go to the spaceplane hanger and build an abomination of an "airplane"--cabin, fuselage, steerable wheel in front, normal wheels in back.  The wimpiest jet will serve to push it.  (Think of what you might build to gather KSC science.)  Fasten whatever you need to test splashed down to it.

Not only does water not damage engines, it's even possible to build such a craft that you can bring back to KSC for 100% recovery.  I've only tried it with an air intake on top and a design that won't turn turtle but it occurs to me I never even considered a more ordinary design to see if it works.  I know it didn't matter having the jet underwater.  (Note:  Only tested on 1.0.5.)

14 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I hope my necromancy is acceptable:

2 years is a bit much, especially for something like this.  It's almost certain that the original poster has either figured out the answer LONG ago and/or stopped playing.

It's also the case that 1.0.5 drastically altered water physics to the point that it's a whole different ball game landing in water now.

You can still take damage landing in water, but the rules of the game have changed sufficiently that any old discussions like this are now likely to be misleading.

Locking the thread to prevent further confusion.  If someone's still having issues with water landings in 1.1.2 or later, they can start a new thread.