[1.0.X]Engineering Based Tech Tree (with flight first option)

Probus

What mod(s) are a must in a Flight First Tech Tree?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What mod(s) are a must in a Flight First Tech Tree?

• B9 Aerospace
    • CSS - Component Space Shuttle
    • KAX - Kerbal Aircraft eXpansion
    • Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System
    • Mk2 Stock-a-like Expansion
    • OPT Space Plane Parts
    • QuizTech Aero Pack
    • Retro-Future Planes
    • SXT - Stock eXTension
    • Other - See my post

I think RoverDude's MKS/OKS colonization mod would be a great addition to this tech tree, but maybe you were already planning on that since you're integrating TAC and Karbonite.

Added the winged Flight First option.

Would someone be so kind as to post a link to a B9 Aerospace version that works in 24.2 in 64-bit mode.

Gracious!

and Remote Tech 2.... If such a beast exists.

Edited by Probus

The RT2 version cvod linked to should be working fine. I'm definitely starting a new save with this tree as soon as RT2 is in! I don't remember if RT2 adds parts, but I thought it didn't, I think it just uses the stock antennas.

[EDIT]: Ok, just tested the Flight Start option. If you play with TAC, the tree becomes incredibly difficult due to missing batteries. Just one at the beginning node, or the second one, would solve this. Also, what mod is this Wright plane from? I can't find it anywhere, and that node remains empty for me. The green biplane on the second node is missing a fuel tank, so no taking off with this one. The tree does look really interesting though!

Edited by Dielos

The RT2 version cvod linked to should be working fine. I'm definitely starting a new save with this tree as soon as RT2 is in! I don't remember if RT2 adds parts, but I thought it didn't, I think it just uses the stock antennas.

[EDIT]: Ok, just tested the Flight Start option. If you play with TAC, the tree becomes incredibly difficult due to missing batteries. Just one at the beginning node, or the second one, would solve this. Also, what mod is this Wright plane from? I can't find it anywhere, and that node remains empty for me. The green biplane on the second node is missing a fuel tank, so no taking off with this one. The tree does look really interesting though!

Thanks for the links and thank you Dielos for the flight feedback. I've been heavily play testing the rocketry tree and I can see what you mean on the flight tree. I will tweak it for TAC.

I don't play with RT2 enough to do an adequate job making sure it works the way it should. So keep the feedback coming.

FireSpitter and the stick I've included from the professor are what you need for the Flyer. Check out this thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/82453-CHALLENGE!-Build-and-Fly-a-copy-of-the-Wright-Flyer-(Think-its-easy-Just-try!)

on rt2 its easy to put in the tree. each dish and antanna have differn ranges. also u have to have aies for rt2 if u want more dishes and a few differn size dishes. those aies parts are just antannas and dishes so they not broken i use them in my game.

on rt2 its easy to put in the tree. each dish and antanna have differn ranges. also u have to have aies for rt2 if u want more dishes and a few differn size dishes. those aies parts are just antannas and dishes so they not broken i use them in my game.

You were right sidfu. Easy as pie. I have updated the Tech Trees with RT2 and TAC Life Support.

Probus, this looks really good, and I am going to try this out, despite the fact that I do not like/use FASA (except for the launch towers). May I suggest the Tantares mod be added to your tree?

Probus, I have been testing the last flight version, and it's definitely better.

As my personal feedback, I feel that there are too many parts in the beginning nodes. I have a very serious amount of mods installed, so it might well be that those mods are placing many parts there, though. Also, many of the first nodes cost very little science, and I was able to unlock 6 or 7 right at the beginning by just placing a lone pod in the launch pad, getting out, and doing some science. This is not necessarily bad, but with so many parts in those beginning nodes, I already had quite a few decent parts!

Please do take this feedback with a grain of salt, as like I said before, I have tons of mods installed, and thus your tree might be overrun with extra unexpected parts. As I'm not in front of my KSP PC right now, I don't remember if the parts on those beginning nodes were from your recommended mods or not, and if this kind of start is your intention.

I'm loving the tree... After those first fast and easy nodes, things start to ramp up, and I find myself having to take serious decisions on where to spend my science, which I love.

I'm going to keep playing with your tree, and giving further feedback on the rest as I advance, but I really like how it's shaping up!

This looks interesting.

I have a question though. How do you plan to overcome the issue of career mode where one of the first contracts you are offered is to orbit the planet? I haven't downloaded it yet but maybe this issue has already been taken into account? And if so, does it also affect contracts implemented buy other mods (fine print contract mod)?

erbmur, the download offers two versions, a rocket and a flight beginning, for you to choose.

The rocket version I suppose will allow you to achieve orbit like normal, but I haven't played this version yet.

The flight version will keep you on the ground a bit longer, but you can unlock rockets quite fast if you so wish.

I found until now no problems with Fine Print. On the contrary, with the flight option, it actually gives you access to missions in Kerbin which you can perform with planes, although they aren't necessarily easy, as they mostly spawn on the opposite hemisphere...

So the contracts you receive whilst using the flight version make sense? As in, you aren't expected to go to the minmus with some aerofoils and a jet engine? But you actually get contracts based on the parts that you have?

Sold, downloading now. :D

The contracts system monitors your progress through the tech tree and the planets you have visited, so yes, it adapts to your progress. Fine Print follows this system. You do need to unlock flight before you get aerial surveys, though.

Yes, you do. Install treeloader, start a new game. As soon as you are at the space center, exit back to the main menu. Go to your save, and copy the tree.cfg of your choice into your save directory. Go back into your game and you should have the tree available on that save.

I highly doubt this will work on an existing save. The tech tree is too different. But sincerely, I have never tried changing tech tree mid-game. My guess is that it might explode in a horrible, but very impressive way...

You can always cheat yourself to some initial science to get the first nodes unlocked. If you just launch the pod with nothing else, you can go EVA and collect some science in the pad. That should give you enough to unlock a couple of nodes which should allow you to fly, or at least skid around...

can i use this on an existing save or will it brake my save ?

i know it is better to use a new one but i not really want to start new.

I highly doubt this will work on an existing save. The tech tree is too different. But sincerely, I have never tried changing tech tree mid-game. My guess is that it might explode in a horrible, but very impressive way...

Ok, i backed up my save and tested it. There i was already half finish with my Techtree. It works on an already excisting save. (Win7 32bit)

Just some nodes are a bit broken and half hidden. But when you open the node before again they get normal and the lines are not broken anymore.

And most of my parts i need to buy and unlock again in the nodes. But that should be not that much problem.

Probus, I have been testing the last flight version, and it's definitely better.

As my personal feedback, I feel that there are too many parts in the beginning nodes. I have a very serious amount of mods installed, so it might well be that those mods are placing many parts there, though. Also, many of the first nodes cost very little science, and I was able to unlock 6 or 7 right at the beginning by just placing a lone pod in the launch pad, getting out, and doing some science. This is not necessarily bad, but with so many parts in those beginning nodes, I already had quite a few decent parts!

Please do take this feedback with a grain of salt, as like I said before, I have tons of mods installed, and thus your tree might be overrun with extra unexpected parts. As I'm not in front of my KSP PC right now, I don't remember if the parts on those beginning nodes were from your recommended mods or not, and if this kind of start is your intention.

I'm loving the tree... After those first fast and easy nodes, things start to ramp up, and I find myself having to take serious decisions on where to spend my science, which I love.

I'm going to keep playing with your tree, and giving further feedback on the rest as I advance, but I really like how it's shaping up!

I am glad you guys are enjoying it! I still have a lot of fleshing out to do, but I'm definitely concentrating on the "fun" factor right now. Dielos, what part packs do you have installed and what version of KSP are you playing? That info should help me balance the start a bit more. Also, if you think a node should cost more, please give me feedback. This was started in 23.5 so i've been doing a lot of tweaking to fit the contracts in.

Also the "FinePrint" mod is a perfect match for the flight first tree.

The Kwright Flyer is the most difficult part of the flight tree beginning, ESPECIALLY in hard mode. But I love a good challenge and I was able to fly it for a few seconds, just enough to get the science to progress. I might release my craft files in the future for the model I know works, but figuring it out yourself will give you a lot of satisfaction when you get it to lift off.

Keep the play test feedback coming. It really helps to get reports on your findings as you play through the initial part of the tree.

Probus, I'm playing 0.24.2 x64.

Mods that I have installed that add parts:

AIES Aerospace

CactEye

DMagic Orbital Science

FASA

Firespitter

HullCameraVDS

KAS

KAX

Kerb_fu

KW Rocketry

LTech

Infernal Robotics

Mechjeb

MissionController EC

Toroidal Tanks

TAC Greenhouses

Near Future

Station Science

RemoteTech2

RoverScience

ScanSAT

Spaceplane+

Hex Trusses

TAC

Karbonite

MKS

OKS

Interstellar

Universal Storage

Plus a few more I can't make out the name...

I'm reinstalling the whole game right now though, as something in my game caused a chain explosion and I'm getting exceptions from every single mod I have. I might have some incompatibility somewhere. As soon as my game runs again, I'll come back with more feedback!

I'm going to try and reduce mod count too as I'm on it. 80+ mods doesn't seem to be healthy... By the way, one of those might be FASA.