Are there any real bladeless fans?

Kinglet

Speaking of the bladeless fan design, i think they'd be very good for blimps, maybe fully thrust based vtols too. But i think a jet powered one might be a good alternative to harrier style thrust nozzles, at least at low speed. Also, they'd be at least somewhat usable as fins even with no power.

Fans get banged around. If your fan can not handle that, you have made a bad fan.

Yes, well, some do, some don't. My fan doesn't get "banged around". If I would "bang it around" I wouldn't care if it's bladeless or not as long as it blows air - in which case this whole discussion is pointless. ;)

Speaking of the bladeless fan design, i think they'd be very good for blimps, maybe fully thrust based vtols too. But i think a jet powered one might be a good alternative to harrier style thrust nozzles, at least at low speed. Also, they'd be at least somewhat usable as fins even with no power.

Why exactly would you want to use bladeless fan for a bimp or VTOL?

And a jet-powered bladeless fan? o_O what kind of nonsense is that?

For bimp or VTOL you want your fan to be as light as possible* for the thrust it provides and at the same time reliable - in which case: bladeless fans work against the design.

*including energy source - eg. fuel

Actually the Dyson one is technically without a huge fan that is "visible" but it would take too long to explain that to the mass. Everyone only cares about the cool and futuristic design.

Dyson is a very innovative company. They make very good products which achieve milestones(closed cycle vacuum cleaner, the "blade less" fan), so please don't crap on them.

they are ridiculously fragile. Dyson does not make quality items. He only markets well.

I've only owned one thing from Dyson, one of their vacuum cleaners. I've had it for about ten years and it's in excellent condition. None of the plastic is broken or damaged in any way. Recently the motor burned out and I replaced it, but that's pretty decent reliability if you ask me. Their stuff is all plastic, but it's decent quality engineering grade plastic. They're also very repairable and there's a good market for spare parts. I'd highly recommend them. If the parts remain as easily available here's no reason why I shouldn't get at least another ten years out of my vacuum.

Edited by Seret

I've only owned one thing from Dyson, one of their vacuum cleaners. I've had it for about ten years and it's in excellent condition. None of the plastic is broken or damaged in any way. Recently the motor burned out and I replaced it, but that's pretty decent reliability if you ask me. Their stuff is all plastic, but it's decent quality engineering grade plastic. They're also very repairable and there's a good market for spare parts. I'd highly recommend them. If the parts remain as easily available here's no reason why I shouldn't get at least another ten years out of my vacuum.

Motor burned out in 10 years? I wouldn't give that a good grade unless you were raping it on a daily basis. :D

Motor burned out in 10 years? I wouldn't give that a good grade unless you were raping it on a daily basis. :D

DC motor. It happens. IIRC the newer models are brushless, which should make them significantly more reliable.

On the subject of blade-less fans, the air ionizer is exactly what you're looking for. It has no moving parts, yet still generates an air current. Unfortunately, it doesn't move a huge amount of air, and it has the rather serious downside of generating ozone.

Vaccum Chat

Dyson vacuums are toys. In fact, all vacuum cleaners are toys, save one... the Kirby. :)

I "inherited" my parents' G5 which was purchased in ~1998 when I was just a kid and it still works like new. The most I've "needed" to replace was the roller brush. Granted, it costs an arm and two legs, but the thing is built like a tank, which is probably an apt analogy since it's self propelled and entirely metal.

That said, I would probably not buy one myself, as paying upwards of a thousand dollars for a vacuum is tantamount to insanity. On the plus side, with the way this thing is built, I know that I won't have to.

my brother used to sell those. impressive machine. too bad they rely on guerrilla marketing tactics to sell them. but frankly the vacuum cleaner should not be the most expensive thing in ones house.

my brother used to sell those. impressive machine. too bad they rely on guerrilla marketing tactics to sell them. but frankly the vacuum cleaner should not be the most expensive thing in ones house.

Heh. How do you think my family came in possession of a Kirby? My parents really couldn't say "No" to their own son (my older brother), who was a Kirby salesman for awhile. I do find their sales tactics pretty ridiculous. Though, you really can't fault the vacuum. It really is built better than any other vacuum cleaner on the market, and I have no doubt that this is something I'll be able to hand down to the next generation.

On the subject of sales, something funny my older brother (the Kirby salesman) told me of his time as a salesman. The houses he dreaded most were the homes with older generation Kirbys, simply because they were always still functioning perfectly, which resulted in the family wondering the utility of upgrading to a newer model. Kirby's are expensive as hell, but they're one heck of a vacuum cleaner.

Dyson gives a 5-year warranty to all their products. Technically, it was supposed to break down fully by then, it lasted twice as long. You are just a terrible consumer electronics expert my friend.

I actually read about Dyson one time. When he was a kid, we was unhappy with the vacuums back then, so he made his own using a cereal box for the body :P

The Dyson vacuums are meant to serve years and they down blow **** out of themselves in the air when vacuuming like traditional vacuum cleaners.

Edited by SpaceXray

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.