Avoiding random base explosions and items diappearing

I've experienced this on many past builds and it is really demoralizing.

It doesn't seem long after I get a few items on the Mun etc and attempt to land something else like a rover there things start getting all derpy. Random explosions when I get in simulation range of the already landed items. I've even had rovers and entire modules disappear between quick saves or regular saves.

Is this just regular game bugs or incompatible addons?

What's your terrain quality setting?

Do you have a solar panel module docked to your base?

Are you adding or removing any mods?

Terrain quality default

Solar panels on base module.. Yes

Perfect example.. This WAS the HOME2 habitat module fully inflated... I drive back to it after picking a rover nearby (about 350ft away) on the tracking station and it's underground now. Very very frustrating

http://i.imgur.com/flk1FuZ.jpg

I've just had Bill sink into the ground on the Mun and die in 24.2 and since I'm playing with no quicksave and Permadeath enabled, that's pretty much it for poor Bill. Sure added some drama to the EVA...

Do high terrain settings help with this bug?

I since switched to max terrain quality and I haven't had any explosions, sinking beneath the terrain, or missing ships since and have had had rovers come and go and have the same base modules and another sitting on the Mun in the same spot now.

Finally remembered another possible cause: high physical time warp, which you're likely to use with rovers. That's the only way I've had something sink through the ground with default terrain settings.

Other than that, I can only imagine that something the HOME2 inflation code might cause that. I've never landed inflatable parts.

Well, the dev's are gonna scream MODS!!! MODS!!! That's going to be the problem. And they're probably going to be right in this case. I haven't lost and landed assets since I've started playing KSP a very long time ago, I typically only lose objects while in orbit or in route. I run "mostly" stock, only have MechJeb for critical instrumentation and readouts (and those 15 minute burns) and Tac Fuel Balancer (cause space planes don't balance fuel very well). Whenever I do load up on the mods, things get weird like you're experiencing and that just ruins the whole experience, like you stated.

I find landing legs keep everything safe on the ground. Don't rest any other parts on the ground cause when you get into physics range they start colliding with the ground and things give way. Everything lifted up on landing legs seems to keep it safe as well as landing gear legs. Rover wheels spaz out sometimes so i don't recommend keeping a large base parked on them.

Still so far so good. Texture Quality seems to have made the difference.. I've sent a lot of stuff down and back up from here (station orbiting the Mun ferrying Kerbals back and forth) and no glitching anymore.

qaYjh2j.jpg

Edited by styckx

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.