Eccentricity and other orbital information?

In one of the tutorial/demos, you have to circularize an eccentric orbit - you get an information box with the eccentricity in it. Is this available in career mode?

Edited by HorusKol

I can only speak for myself but i would install Kerbal Engineer Redux.

Its a informational Mod only, so it wont interfere with the Vanilla feeling, but it gives you a kt (thats metric kerbtonne) of information so you can get the most out of your vanilla parts.

Greetings

Ben (Who was reluctant to Mods at first too)

I second Kerbal engineer, It only supplys info. Sometimes i place it on my Mun lander, just to check its TWR, for the Mun (or any given body) and take it off again before launch.

I prefer to keep the game 'vanilla' as such, and in my opinion, KER is something that should be in the final release of the game. its a very useful tool and only adds to the gameplay.

Hmm - guess I'll have to live without - I want to try and get through using the vanilla KSP first

(also - how do I change the "unanswered" prefix up there?)

Kerbal Engineer and Mechjeb both provide tons of information that help you play, and learn.

DeltaV and TWR readouts both are essential to efficient designs. Without them, you'll just be guessing how much fuel you might need to go somewhere.

It's your choice offcourse, but if you want to build informed designs, you'll need it (or do the math yourself. Not advisable)

In one of the tutorial/demos, you have to circularize an eccentric orbit - you get an information box with the eccentricity in it. Is this available in career mode?

Note that eccentricity is (ra-rp)/(ra+rp), where ra is the radius of your apoapsis (altitude plus Kerbin radius) and rb is the radius of your periapsis. You have a circular orbit when your eccentricity is 0, which is when your apoapsis is the same as your periapsis.

Squad doesn't want to give us 'numbers' because then KSP wouldn't be fun. 80%+ of players (in a forum poll a couple of months ago) want the numbers so they have a chance of getting things right!

In map mode (press M from flight) you can click the Ap (apoapsis) and Pe (periapsis) markers on your blue orbit line to keep the figures visible, then you'll be able to see when they're getting close to each other.

ETA: If you want to find your Kerbin orbit's inclination (angle from the equator) you can click on Mun in map mode and 'set as target'. Mun orbits at 0-degrees so any inclination you have with that is 'true'. KER/MJ/VOID are a lot easier though.

Edited by Pecan

I can only speak for myself but i would install Kerbal Engineer Redux.

Its a informational Mod only, so it wont interfere with the Vanilla feeling, but it gives you a kt (thats metric kerbtonne) of information so you can get the most out of your vanilla parts.

Thanks - I'll give it a go

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.