Apple(iOS) vs Samsung(Android)

SpaceXray

As they say, it doesn't matter how big the boat is, it's how it sails that matters. 

TL;DR: iPhone is a better device, even when it doesn't have all features of a competing Android device because of: better software, better software/hardware integration, curated apps from a single source, and minimal fragmentation.

Hardware/Sofftware Optimization

Apple has a distinct advantage of making the hardware as well as the software for the iPhone. This allows then to tweak the iOS to perform optimally with the processor, for example. 

They've used the same processor in their latest iPhone and iPads, but the clock speeds are different for each device. Also, they are able to control how battery is used with different apps, making it as efficient as possible. This results in longer battery life for given tasks. 

Effect of fragmentation

In addition, because all iPhones run on the same iOS, the adoption of upgrades is very quick. This is important because each upgrade closes security holes and improves functioning. Also, each upgrade is possible on all phone generations, although the oldest ones may not be able to utilize all functions due to hardware limitations. 

Android devices don't enjoy this privilege. The OS is made by Google and the hardware by a number of manufacturers. 

In addition, it's possible to fork the OS, so it's different from the stock, although still identified as being Android. 

Also, since there are several manufacturers of Android devices, they try to add another layer of their own for differentiation. 

Then, no one is forced to use the latest version of Android, it leads to different manufacturers using different versions. 

All this leads to a lot of fragmentation, with different versions, forks and additional skins. 

One of the biggest drawback of this is that either an app can't work on all Android devices or the developer has to give backwards compatibility so it works on all flavors/versions of Android. This 'dumbing down' o f the app in the latter option renders it less effective than a comparable app for the iOS that has to work on only one version of the OS. 

Like Apple, Google also releases upgrades to Android on a regular basis. However, because of this fragmentation, it may not be possible to upgrade your device's OS unless you're running the stock or 'pure' Android. 

In addition, since the hardware and software makers are two different entities, they often aren't  willing/able to coordinate upgrades. 

This lack of upgrade means that you may have a recently accquired state-of-the-art Android phone, but it ages quickly if you're unable to update to the latest version. 

Curation of Apps

Further, apps in Android can be side-loaded, meaning you can get an app from sources other than the official App Store for Android, Google Play. This is not possible for an iPhone unless it's jailbroken. This means an Android phone, and a jailbroken iPhone, are more vulnerable. 

On top of this, the App Store for iOS is controlled and curated. The testing in Google Play is less rigorous, so apps with malware have more chances to exist. Also, the App Store for iOS is the only place to get iOS apps, unlike for Android which has more than one. 

Malware Vulnerability

All this fragmentation, use of forks, inability to ensure upgrades, ability to get apps from several sources, makes them more vulnerable. In fact, 99% of all known malware attacks have been reported on Android devices only. 

It's all about software

The reason I give this exhaustive comparison of software is because without it, any hardware is useless and that the better the hardware/software optimization, the better a device will function. 

This is one of the main reasons why an iPhone works better than an Android device, even if the latter may have better specs on paper. 

The other reason is that Apple doesn't include additional hardware/functions unless they are well tested. On the other hand, other manufacturers try to slap on extra features just so they're able to claim that their phone is superior to the iPhone, often without adequate testing. This leads to user disappointment if/when these additions don't work or work clumsily.

Summary

That said, Android has come a long way, and the latest iteration is almost as good as iOS, and even has features not yet present in Apple's OS.

However, it boils down to the efficiency and ease of use of a device, where Apple - even with a few specs short, is unrivaled because of reasons I elaborated above: better software, better software/hardware integration, curated apps from a single source, and minimal fragmentation.

Very whise words. I am selling my Xbox because I got a proper gaming PC now. I am happy with my laptop so I don't want a PC. In my pocket-I want a console(iOS device). An iPhone and an iPad is all I need on the go.

You just buy an iPad for example and you already know it'll run everything fine. It is easy to use, no worry about malware and a bunch of options. You don't need like 3 wires and 2 adapters to plugin your phone to the TV-you just sit down, turn on your Apple TV and walla-you stream video from the net to your TV wirelessly. Heck, you can even play games on your phone on your TV!

I can do that on my Galaxy Tab2 10.1. Literally everything you claim you can do only on apple, I can do on an android.

Really, your whole thread is nothing but a troll. Initially, reading the thread title, one assumes that this would be a fair what are the pros and cons of each. No, you have turned it into your own soap box, and you use it to bash anyones choice that differs from your own. You are a dyed in the wool fan boy and that's all there is to it. A young one at that, one who doesn't appreciate the things he owns (selling your gaming system because you don't think it's good enough is a dead giveaway). You refuse to listen to the opinions of others and concede that maybe there are things out there that are as good or better than your beloved. Adults can do that. It's called give and take.

I suggest this thread be closed as it serves no real purpose.

Aple devices are expensive because they are quality products made from metal. Apple puts a lot of work into them to make sure they work properly. Apple shops look the coolest-the minimalist design is just terrific. When you come into a mall, the first thing you notice is that futuristic store.

Funny but you are cring about the iPhone 4 not being on tier with the Galaxy S5, but you forgot that the Galaxy S5 is a spring 2014 phone and the iPhone 4 is a 2010 phone....4 years have passed, of course it is no longer on tier with the flagship S5 and iPhone 5S!

Negative, I was complaining that the Iphone 4 wasn't on tier with the EVO. Learn to read... or can't you do that on your Iphone? I mentioned my brothers phone because he has one and it's amazing. I've had my hands on the iphone 5's... still the same crap.

Saying that Apple products are more expensive because they are better is like paying almost a thousand dollars for a console because it's easier to use and then paying 600 or 700 dollars for a PC that is three times as powerful.

I leave power saving mode on all the time, it doesn't turn off wifi at all. I didn't even post that on a tablet. I have an iPhone and the first chance I get I'm going to turn it in for an Oppo find 7. An android based high end phone that has much better processing power for the price. Even the S5 is better than the iPhone 5S. Look at specs. It has almost double the battery of the iPhone along with twice as much ram, a larger screen with higher pixel density and a faster processor. If you care about the plastic construction, think about this: your phone is going to spend it's life in a case anyway. Most android based high end phones I know of aren't even plastic. The Find series is aluminum.

Umm a Smart TV costs 2000$ and most folks can't afford that.

An Apple TV costs some 120$ and gives you much more options and works with any TV.

Where do you live? My mom bought a basic Samsung LCD TV last week for €350, which happened to include Smart TV functionality. I don't call that expensive.

A Chromecast costs $35, and at least here in Europe, most ISPs provide you for free with a TV box that is DLNA compatible and can stream content from any Android phone or DLNA (NAS or computer). You can also stream to an Xbox, a PlayStation, or any of those cheapo DLNA dongles or set-top boxes...

On the other hand, Apple TV is redundant, overpriced and only works with proprietary devices and software.

TL;DR: iPhone is a better device, even when it doesn't have all features of a competing Android device because of: better software, better software/hardware integration, curated apps from a single source, and minimal fragmentation.

It's a better device for you, because your priorities are a simpler software selection process at the expense of paying a premium. That's fine. You go with Apple because you perceive it as easy and safe, you are happy with the environment that Apple provides and you can't be bothered to search for better software or better hardware out there. This is a totally personal preference and does not make iDevices intrinsically better. You have found what works best for you, and that's cool.

Other folks will have other priorities, such as customization, value for money, choice, compatibility, flexibility, and the myriad of features that Apple simply does not offer. Those are also personal preferences that do not make the devices of their choice intrinsically better than Apple. They are better for them, and that's cool too.

Fragmentation is not nearly as big a problem as you seem to make it, especially since Android 4.0 which was launched in 2011. To claim otherwise only shows that you have never really used Android. You will also have similar compatibility problems if you try to run an old iPhone 3G today. If you are comparing flagship Android phones that are in the same price range as the iPhone, then they can run pretty much anything. And if you are paranoid about updates and fragmentation, then just get a Nexus 5 or a Google Edition device, or flash whatever custom ROM you want.

You see, Android devices are about choice. You can choose the one that suits you, with the features that suit you, rather than be stuck with what Apple decides is best for everyone. And that competition in the Android world spawns innovation, which benefits everyone, including Apple users.

Edited by Nibb31

Did you even care to read my huge post? Of course you didn't, your Samsung entered power-saving mode turning off your wifi...
And your iPhone appears to have run low on CPU cycles and turned off your spellchecker, encoding support, and formatting functions, so it could display your browser. :P

What pit of linguistic hell did you even copypaste that post from?

That said, here, I'll re-format this trainwreck into readable form for the purpose of answering it.

As they say, it doesn't matter how big the boat is, it's how it sails that matters.

Ever heard of "it's a long way to England in a rowboat?" ;)

Hardware/Sofftware Optimization

Apple has a distinct advantage of making the hardware as well as the software for the iPhone. This allows then to tweak the iOS to perform optimally with the processor, for example.

They've used the same processor in their latest iPhone and iPads, but the clock speeds are different for each device. Also, they are able to control how battery is used with different apps, making it as efficient as possible. This results in longer battery life for given tasks.

The exact processor model doesn't quite matter much, though. It mostly boils down to basic architecture, and almost all Android devices run the same kinds of ARM processor. Graphics chips may differ, but it's a matter of having good drivers. Likewise, many Android manufacturers ship their own software with their hardware - I at least know that Samsung and LG do. Android being an open system means every manufacturer is free to do it.

And face it, iPhone's longer battery life primarily comes from a more power-efficient processor and a smaller screen, not any miracle software optimizations.

Effect of fragmentation

In addition, because all iPhones run on the same iOS, the adoption of upgrades is very quick. This is important because each upgrade closes security holes and improves functioning. Also, each upgrade is possible on all phone generations, although the oldest ones may not be able to utilize all functions due to hardware limitations.

Android devices don't enjoy this privilege. The OS is made by Google and the hardware by a number of manufacturers.

The OS is freely customizable though. It's kinda like Windows. Many developers make use of that fact and either bundle their own software with the devices, or even outright provide whole modded OS variants like CyanogenMod. This also means that upgrading is theoretically possible on any phone, as long as there is a ROM for matching hardware. Which there often is, considering how many cheaper phones are cloned from others. On dedicated sites, I often see threads for old but popular Android phones, with files and procedures required to upgrade its OS to a newer version. So Android has upgrade bases covered.

In addition, it's possible to fork the OS, so it's different from the stock, although still identified as being Android.

Also, since there are several manufacturers of Android devices, they try to add another layer of their own for differentiation.

Then, no one is forced to use the latest version of Android, it leads to different manufacturers using different versions.

All this leads to a lot of fragmentation, with different versions, forks and additional skins.

One of the biggest drawback of this is that either an app can't work on all Android devices or the developer has to give backwards compatibility so it works on all flavors/versions of Android. This 'dumbing down' of the app in the latter option renders it less effective than a comparable app for the iOS that has to work on only one version of the OS.

I've yet to see a program impaired by being able to run on more versions of Android but the latest. That's like saying PC programs are worse because they work (or can be made to work) on all Windows machines from 8.1 to XP (and, in extreme-er cases, 98) with the proper setup.

Remember, Android is a pan-device system. In most cases, the same games running on a phone will still run just as well on a tablet, a portable mediaplayer (I broke the screen of mine like two months after I bought it :(), a TV or a stationary mediaplayer, as long as the hardware is up to snuff. All you sometimes need is a HD version and a low-res version, to accomodate the difference in screen resolutions between a 256x128 mediaplayer and a FullHD tablet. In the rare cases when a game does require an Android version higher than 2.1, the game itself is probably so resource-intensive that no device running such an early OS version will be able to handle it anyway.

Like Apple, Google also releases upgrades to Android on a regular basis. However, because of this fragmentation, it may not be possible to upgrade your device's OS unless you're running the stock or 'pure' Android.

In addition, since the hardware and software makers are two different entities, they often aren't willing/able to coordinate upgrades.

This lack of upgrade means that you may have a recently accquired state-of-the-art Android phone, but it ages quickly if you're unable to update to the latest version.

I don't think I ever saw official upgrades for any of my Android devices. Sure, there's some patches that keep nagging me to install them, but there doesn't seem to be version-changing upgrades. As far as I know, those upgrades are primarily handled by downloading a matching ROM yourself, and applying it. Like I said earlier, there are plenty of people who are willing to provide those ROMs, and help you install them. Personally I never used any of the modded variants like CyanogenMod, but that's because what I have suits me just fine and I don't have a reason to fiddle with it yet.

Curation of Apps

Further, apps in Android can be side-loaded, meaning you can get an app from sources other than the official App Store for Android, GooglePlay. This is not possible for an iPhone unless it's jailbroken. This means an Android phone, and a jailbroken iPhone, are more vulnerable.

On top of this, the AppStore for iOS is controlled and curated. The testing in Google Play is less rigorous, so apps with malware have more chances to exist. Also, the App Store for iOS is the only place to get iOS apps, unlike for Android which has more than one.

This also means that if you're careful and remember the Sturgeon's Law, you can find much better, more varied, and more interesting apps there. Getting an app into the Apple Store is a chore. Getting it into the App Store is simple. Plus being able to install .apk files means that you can develop and test apps for the Android yourself, and can run stuff that never appears in stores, like homebrew emulators and third-party drivers. Sure, it makes your device more vulnerable, but you have all the same capabilities on your PC - exercise the same caution, and you will be just as safe.

Malware Vulnerability

All this fragmentation, use of forks, inability to ensure upgrades, ability to get apps from several sources, makes them more vulnerable. In fact, 99% of all known malware attacks have been reported on Android devices only.

That's because it takes effort to become able to install anything at all on an iPhone. Malware on Android appears because of human laziness, just like on PCs. The same difference as between consoles and PCs, really. Don't open suspicious messages, don't install things you aren't absolutely sure are safe and tested, keep an antivirus running for things that aren't absolutely safe, etc, etc. My Android devices are malware-free. ^_^

It's all about software

The reason I give this exhaustive comparison of software is because without it, any hardware is useless and that the better the hardware/software optimization, the better a device will function.

This is one of the main reasons why an iPhone works better than an Android device, even if the latter may have better specs on paper.

The other reason is that Apple doesn't include additional hardware/functions unless they are well tested. On the other hand, other manufacturers try to slap on extra features just so they're able to claim that their phone is superior to the iPhone, often without adequate testing. This leads to user disappointment if/when these additions don't work or work clumsily.

Here's a piece of news: most cheap Android phone manufacturers that are the source of the "fragmentation" you mention, don't give a rat's ass about the iPhone. They beat it out by sheer cost, by providing a phone that does what a phone does at a miniscule fraction of the iPhone's price, but still with enough features to be head and heels above any non-Android phone. My little LG Optimus L5 is an example of that. Sure, it won't run some latest God of War clone for the Android, and has very little screen space to be able to comfortably play strategy games. It doesn't have even a dualcore CPU, it has only half a gig of RAM, its internal storage is pitiful, its camera (singular) is basic, and it sure as hell doesn't have a fingerprint scanner. But I can still do a hell of a lot of stuff with it. More than enough stuff, even. I can play my entire collection of strategy and RPG ROMs, from the NES to the PS1, even with the small screen and glitchiness of onscreen gamepad controls. I can watch almost any video I have here, I can browse and post on the 'net, I can play uncountable free timewaster games from the Store, I can even view and edit text documents in a pinch. Spreadsheets... well, view spreadsheets at least. :P Point is, with Android, I am able to get all that functionality crammed into a simple, reliable, and bloody cheap phone, that still does everything I need it to do. I'd never have been able to get that with any of Apple's products. For me, Android is king.

Summary

That said, Android has come a long way, and the latest iteration is almost as good as iOS, and even has features not yet present in Apple's OS.

However, it boils down to the efficiency and ease of use of a device, where Apple - even with a few specs short, is unrivaled because of reasons I elaborated above: better software, better software/hardware integration, curated apps from a single source, and minimal fragmentation.

Summing up my points, then: Android is a better system, wherein the user is free to choose his own software, hardware, and price range, and be reasonably safe in knowing that what he's buying is flexible and forgiving enough to do almost anything he wants with it. There's no point comparing an iPhone to "an Android device", because what a device needs to do is subjective. iOS forces you to pay full price for the whole range of features it has, regardless of whether you want them or need them. Android lets you choose exactly what you buy, and doesn't suffer from any of the flaws you mention any more than, say, Windows does.

edit: Aand ninja'd. But I'll leave it here, at least so other people can try and read SpaceXRay's post without suffering eye or brain damage.

Really, your whole thread is nothing but a troll. Initially, reading the thread title, one assumes that this would be a fair what are the pros and cons of each. No, you have turned it into your own soap box, and you use it to bash anyones choice that differs from your own. You are a dyed in the wool fan boy and that's all there is to it. A young one at that, one who doesn't appreciate the things he owns (selling your gaming system because you don't think it's good enough is a dead giveaway). You refuse to listen to the opinions of others and concede that maybe there are things out there that are as good or better than your beloved. Adults can do that. It's called give and take.

This x1000. DNFTT, folks. The OP isn't interested in the slightest in your rebuttals of his/her points.

I am allergic to these cheaply 30$ Android phones.

I can't be proud of walking around with a plastic phone with a bunch of glitchy features

and an OS version name by a sugar addict(JellyBean, Ice cream sandwich, KitKat etc.)

At least with an iphone I can be proud of a reliable and stylish OS, a solid and premium metal and glass design,

a good camera and a bungs of cool apps and accessories(like my 12x zoom telephoto lens).

Sure, Android is more open and is available on a bunch of cheap Chinese phones, but Samsung isn't innovative.

Android isn't easy to use at ALL. Android is easily vulnerable to malware. You might be cheeky and say you didn't notice anything, but your personal data might already be stolen. These issues make the headlines all the time.

Apple products may not be as open as Android ones, but they are much more famous.

the iPhone made its name way back in 2007. Still, every dog knows what an iPhone is.

Only some nerds know what a Kiwi 9203910.....,1AN is or a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.120563...... With Android 4.42.4.2.5

Again, if you wrote that on an apple device, you've completely disproved everything you've said about ease of use. Either that or you've lost the ability to format paragraphs or use vaguely correct grammar and punctuation midway through this thread.

I have already pointed out that there are android based phones at two thirds of the price of iPhone with a camera twice as good. I'm going to state it once more, the Find 7 beats out every spec of the iPhone except the storage but that's expandable if you aren't Apple. It's got an aluminum body as well. I don't understand why you think the iPhone looks good. It's got the same design as every other smartphone, flat screen square body with rounded corners. The only real difference from that is the HTC one M8 (also beats iPhone 5S specs) with it's angled back. tab pro 10.1 isn't that much harder to get than 5, 5s, 6 , 3gs or whatever iteration of the iPhone there is. I assume you are using a windows computer to type these unless you were tricked into OS X, windows is just as vulnerable as Android. Keep an eye on privileges and such and you won't have a problem. Android isn't unreliable if you can use it. like anything it takes time to learn and if you prefer a watered down OS that takes less time to get used to good for you. I prefer my tablets and phones to act as on the go computers as well as phones. I enjoy having the freedom to do what I can on a PC on the go or traveling.

I am allergic to these cheaply 30$ Android phones.

That is your problem, not mine. You don't like them, but there is still a market for them.

90% of smartphone users only use it for calls, texts, a little bit of social networking and the occasional Youtube cat video. A $30 Android device is a better phone for those people than a $600 iPhone.

I can't be proud of walking around with a plastic phone with a bunch of glitchy features

and an OS version name by a sugar addict(JellyBean, Ice cream sandwich, KitKat etc.)

Again, that is your problem. I personally don't give a damn about the name of the OS. Not all Android phones are plastic.

At least with an iphone I can be proud of a reliable and stylish OS, a solid and premium metal and glass design,

Stylish like this:

ive_minaj.jpg

I guess if you're into dayglow pink and baby colors, it's super stylish.

The wall of icons lacks functionality though. No layout customization, no widgets, no dynamic content... you have to go into each app to get the actual content. In Android, you can have everything available at a glance with homescreen widgets on different screens.

Have a look at this site to get an idea of the sort of user interface you can make for yourself on an Android device:

http://mycolorscreen.com/

I find some of those homescreens gorgeous. Android is a better system for someone who likes to tinker with their phone.

Oh, and someone already told you that there are plenty of premium metal and glass designs. The HTC One for example. I personally don't give a damn, because all my devices live inside a flip-case as soon as I get them.

a good camera and a bungs of cool apps and accessories(like my 12x zoom telephoto lens).

Sony and Nokia have much better cameras. There is even a Galaxy Camera. Those are better devices for people who's priority is photography.

Sure, Android is more open and is available on a bunch of cheap Chinese phones, but Samsung isn't innovative.

You do know that Samsung makes most of the parts that go inside an iPhone, don't you? Also, when was the last time Apple actually invented something, rather than picked up on an existing technology, repackaged it, and hyped it up with marketing fluff?

And what were the innovations in the latest iPhones ? A slightly taller screen ? A fingerprint sensor ? That's pretty much it... Still no NFC, no 5"+ screens, no SD cards, no power saving mode, no live widgets, no smart notifications, no face recognition, no smart scroll, no wireless charging, no FM radio, no water protection, etc...

Some of those features are gimmicks, others are high-priority features for some users. A Galaxy S5 or a Moto X will be a better phone for those people.

Android isn't easy to use at ALL.

Maybe for you. Others have no problem with it. Personally, I do have a lot of usability problems with iOS and iTunes though, but I'm not going to claim that Apple is rubbish because I'm not used to using it.

Android is easily vulnerable to malware. You might be cheeky and say you didn't notice anything, but your personal data might already be stolen. These issues make the headlines all the time.

Citation needed.

Because of course, this list doesn't exist:

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-49/product_id-15556/Apple-Iphone-Os.html

Every platform is vulnerable. The biggest vulnerability is to believe that you are safe just because you are using an Apple device.

Apple products may not be as open as Android ones, but they are much more famous.

the iPhone made its name way back in 2007. Still, every dog knows what an iPhone is.

Only some nerds know what a Kiwi 9203910.....,1AN is or a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.120563...... With Android 4.42.4.2.5

What has your ignorance of Android devices got to do with anything?

Listen, your arguments are personal opinion. Not facts. I'm glad that you are happy with your iPhone. Other people are happy with their phone. Heck, I even know people who are happy with their Windows Phone.

There is no better phone. There is only what works best for you.

Edited by Nibb31

I like Android. Just being able to choose my own keyboard makes it a win over iOS, let alone anything else. If you like the way iOS does things and are shopping for a higher end phone, then iOS makes sense. If you like a greater degree of customization or are shopping further downmarket than Apple is willing to go or in a form factor they don't offer, then Android is better.

Saying one is better than the other in all cases is idiotic, frankly. There are niches where one is better than the other, the mobile device user base is extremely far from being homogeneous.

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Mixed up hetero/homogeneous.

Android is easily vulnerable to malware. You might be cheeky and say you didn't notice anything, but your personal data might already be stolen. These issues make the headlines all the time.

Sorry mate, I can't hear you over the sound of a good anti-virus program I'm using that iOS will never have.

Also, any relevant data I may have is stored up on Google anyway. There are much more direct means to get at my data than trying to install a trojan on my phone.

Sorry mate, I can't hear you over the sound of a good anti-virus program I'm using that iOS will never have.

Also, any relevant data I may have is stored up on Google anyway. There are much more direct means to get at my data than trying to install a trojan on my phone.

Is that a V4 anti-virus you got their? Erm mah gurd, it's a small block V8!! Kaspersky is a very good anti-virus and its sucks that iOS will never have it. Not that I'm complaining, I'm an Android man. I just prefer the UI an layout of the Android system.

My android is old, slow and cheap.

It's not shiny or bling, it's scratched and glued.

Most of the software on it has been recompiled, modified and hand picked by *me*.

98% of that software is free - not just as in beer, as in *freedom*. (bar those damn binary cell modem drivers)

It's 3+ years old and has 1.5x the battery life it had new.

It's overclocked and runs everything I need it to as fast as I like it to, despite being 'only' a single core.

Google does not have my data, I ripped that bit out pretty quick. I run my own server, I vet my own apps, I store my own data.

In short, its *mine*.

Because it's *hackable*.

The Linux kernel is just icing :-)

If you like being limited to what Apple (or any other vendor for that matter) thinks you should be able to use your device for, knock yourself out. I couldn't stand it.

When Apple opens the OS code and stops using anti-tamper screws, I might just buy an Iwhatsit. Maybe.

Oh, and enough with the patent war BS, not buying anything from a company that pulls that crap.

Edited by steve_v

Because iOS doesn't NEED an antivirus lol.

Correction: iOS doesn't want an antivirus. App curation is all fine and good while it works, but it's like refusing to have a police force because you have impenetrable walls around your town and the citizens seem to be happy for now. The moment anything gets through - and things do get through - it becomes a huge problem that Apple itself has to fix, leaving the common user at the mercy of whatever is responsible until they do. In the meantime, Android users may have many more vulnerabilities, but they have all the tools they need to effectively never notice whatever comes through.

My Windows 7 laptop, for instance, is a complete mess when it comes to security, but I haven't had a single virus or trojan problem since I started using the Kaspersky Internet Security suite. I don't need every single thing I download and install to be approved and tested for me, because I have the common sense not to download suspicious software, and I have the tools to deal with any consequences of things that do end up being harmful. If I ever had any problem on any of my Android devices, I could do the same thing. Whereas when - not if - someone finds a way around Apple's "wall of overprotection +3", you're stuck enduring the issue until Apple manages to get a fix in - and you better hope that whatever it was didn't take out your internet connection.

Still the iPhone 5s is the worlds first 64 bit smartphone and the worlds first smartphone with a fingerprint scanner. Of course, Samsung was quick to copy that as usual since they never have any new ideas. Their plagiarism is actually beginning to become very funny.

Waterproof? 1m for 30 min isn't serious, and people tested the S 5 in the water and it broke down.

Heck, Samsung doesn't cover it being compromised by water: so if your pretty Samsung gets water it's "your fault".

if that's their policy no need to risk putting it in the water...

Also, you have to take off that micro USB cover every time you want to charge....

Still the iPhone 5s is the worlds first 64 bit smartphone and the worlds first smartphone with a fingerprint scanner.

Sure and those gimmicks completely hide Apple's problems catching up with the World. Are those the two features that make the iPhone a better device for everybody?

64-bit is useless on iPhones because they are only adressing 1GB of RAM. It's marketing fluff aimed at ignorant Apple fanboys. It will only make sense when phones start addressing 4GB and more. Some high-end Android devices use 3GB, but more than that isn't really needed at this point.

Oh, and guess who makes the A7 chip...

Of course, Samsung was quick to copy that as usual since they never have any new ideas. Their plagiarism is actually beginning to become very funny.

I gave you a list of some innovations that have been in other smartphones, like Moto X's always listening mode that doesn't drain the battery or Samsung's eye-sensor stuff. And I don't know why you are fixating on Samsung. There are plenty of other Android devices.

Waterproof? 1m for 30 min isn't serious

It's enough to make the difference between a dead phone and working phone in most accidental circumstances. How many $600 iPhones have died from swimming pool or toilet (!) accidents?

How is no waterproofing better than partial waterproofing ?

Again, not everybody needs it, but for some people, water protection is another one of those must-have feature that disqualifies the iPhone. Because it's all about what suits each person best.

At this point, you're just trolling. If the iPhone 6 comes out with IP67 waterproofing, you'll be screaming that Apple invented it and that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Edited by Nibb31

I prefer Apple due to the simple fact that their hardware and software works seamlessly together. Android has the same problem as a PC: you have to design it for multiple types of hardware. Because of this, optimization is nearly impossible. Why do I say this? Take a look at the Galaxy Note 10.1. It has an impressive 1.9 GHz Quad core processor, as well as 3GB of memory. The iPad Air has a 1.4 GHz dual core processor and 1GB of memory, which is less impressive than the Galaxy Note. However, in every comparison video, the iPad performs better overall. Apple doesn't use some magic trick to make this happen, it's just how they build their machines. Computers, phones, and tablets are all using the same method, which makes them more responsive. I like my devices to be fast. Their specifications do not matter to me, as long as the experience is smooth. In this regard, Apple wins across the board.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.