Apple(iOS) vs Samsung(Android)

SpaceXray

That's not an optimisation problem-apple has the exact same issue if you don't pretend old models cease to exist when new ones come out-it's simply Samsung bloatware. Try something like a nexus 7; you'll be presently surprised.

I have a ~$150 Huawei Y300 brick, and I'm totally satisfied with it. I can browse the Internet and use most of the apps from the android store. Its battery lasts for days with everyday use. I don't know how it is going in the U.S., but in Hungary you have to be really rich to afford one of these top-end phones (gadgets cost like ~1,5x more here than in the USA.: ~$800-900 for a Galaxy S5).

I think it's waste of money to buy a high-end phone.

-Fingerprint scanner? I'm sure the criminals have developed an efficient way to disable it.

-129837123 Gigapixel camera? People who are really into photography know that megapixels are not the most important properties of a camera. Compare a beginner-grade Nikon D3200 DSLR to a top-level Samsung or iPhone (each phone costs about 2x more than the camera). If you want to capture a very interesting moment, and there isn't a camera sitting around, you could be happy with a lower-end phone cam.

-And what happens if you lose/break your top-end phone? 90% of the people wouldn't afford a new one, I guess (well, in Hungary).

-What would you use a 4 or 8 core processor in a phone for? Do you really need an artillery computer? Most people use these phones for basic stuff like Facebook anyways.

-Screen with 12831293x21238941px resolution? Sure, it's very good to have a resolution which human eye cannot even detect on a screen no larger than a cinema ticket.

-Water-proof casing? Really, do you flush your mobile down the toilet on daily basis, or what?

So is it reasonable to invest a lot into these features which have a 99% probability that you won't make use of?

Buy a basic smartphone and enjoy spending the remaining $$$$. Cameras, computers, gaming consoles, etc for example. There are things which can't be replaced with smartphones, and there are a lot of useless features which would be only pretty on the first and second sight.

Btw, I owned a 3rd gen iPod touch too, therefore I know the pros and cons of the iOS. I prefer the Android for the wider range of customization it offers, although I can understand those who think the simplicity and elegance of the iOS is worth more.

Edited by jmiki8

The fingerprint scanner is a really crappy gimmick IMHO. I have an iPhone 5S and it doesn't work half the time because how much my finger changes over the course of the week and it won't even scan my thumb. It was a neat thing to show off the first day but now it's entirely useless. A girl in my class also has a 5S and it works fine for her but she doesn't cut her fingers twisting wires all day. I have to disagree with waterproofing. People here constantly drop their phone in the water my cousin just dropped his 5C in the toilet a couple days ago and my other cousin has lost about 5 phones to water damage. If i have the option I would get a waterproof phone just for the security. I like the high screen resolution, when I got my Tab pro the first thing my grandma noticed was how good the screen was. I'm not sure if you can tell the difference between ~450 ppi and ~540 ppi but I can tell the difference between ~330 ppi and ~450 ppi. I also typically use my gadgets for a long time, I'm still using an original iPad. So if I get a phone or tablet I would prefer for it to be higher end.

I couldn't go iPhone just because of the tiny screens. Once you get used to 5"+ there's no going back.

One thing I will give to Apple is their reception in fringe areas is superb. On vacation in an area with spotty service recently, my Galaxy S4 and my wife's S3 struggled to get any service while the iPhone 5s and 4s there had hardly any difficulty.

The fingerprint scanner is a really crappy gimmick IMHO. I have an iPhone 5S and it doesn't work half the time because how much my finger changes over the course of the week and it won't even scan my thumb. It was a neat thing to show off the first day but now it's entirely useless. A girl in my class also has a 5S and it works fine for her but she doesn't cut her fingers twisting wires all day. I have to disagree with waterproofing. People here constantly drop their phone in the water my cousin just dropped his 5C in the toilet a couple days ago and my other cousin has lost about 5 phones to water damage. If i have the option I would get a waterproof phone just for the security. I like the high screen resolution, when I got my Tab pro the first thing my grandma noticed was how good the screen was. I'm not sure if you can tell the difference between ~450 ppi and ~540 ppi but I can tell the difference between ~330 ppi and ~450 ppi. I also typically use my gadgets for a long time, I'm still using an original iPad. So if I get a phone or tablet I would prefer for it to be higher end.

Your own fault for cutting your fingers. Your iPhone can't know if you cut them-it's not magic.

If you find it THAT difficult, then just register all 10 of your fingers like I did in case I can use my thumbs/index fingers.

Oh wait, Samsung S5 only allows 3 fingers...

How do you drop your phone in the toilet? I've never had an incident like that, ever.

Of course you grandma noticed how "good the screen". She is used to that 150ppi 20" LCD tv in her bedroom, not a 400ppi+ device which is 10 years ahead of her TV. She would be just as amazed with an IPad with retina display.

Also, if you are unhappy that your phone isn't waterproof just send it to Liquipel and the do the trick.

I'm just saying how ineffective the fingerprint scanner is, it's just totally useless to someone who uses their hands. My number one fear is getting dirt on my finger and scratching the damn thing. My grandmother also has an iPad mini she won in a contest and you can actually see the difference. It's easy to tell the difference between a 162 ppi screen and a 300 ppi screen. Pretty funny how you thought something that was larger had a similar ppi to the iPad mini. 150 for a 20 inch TV and 160 for an 8 inch tablet.

I'm just saying how ineffective the fingerprint scanner is, it's just totally useless to someone who uses their hands. My number one fear is getting dirt on my finger and scratching the damn thing. My grandmother also has an iPad mini she won in a contest and you can actually see the difference. It's easy to tell the difference between a 162 ppi screen and a 300 ppi screen. Pretty funny how you thought something that was larger had a similar ppi to the iPad mini. 150 for a 20 inch TV and 160 for an 8 inch tablet.

Ahem retina display is 326 ppi.The human retine is equivalent to about 300 so going above that is utterly useless and only consumes more battery charge so yeah, more mAh doesn't make the phone or tablet last longer-how much it consumes does too.

I was referring to the original iPad mini, that's my fault. The retina display is only indistinguishable at a certain distance. I'm not sure if you remember it but Apple had to change the definition of retina display after I think the ipad mini or ipad 3 came out. It counts as a retina because you can't tell the difference at a certain distance. If you hold your tablet closer to your face you can tell the difference. It's the same reason you can have a retina TV, if its far enough away anything is retina.

Edit: Here we go, the ipad 3 was the first ipad marketed as an ipad with retina. It has a density of just 264 ppi. This was excused by apple beacuse the iPad is held farther away from the face than a phone. http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Apple-iPhone-4,Apple-iPad-mini-2,Apple-iPad-3/phones/4586,8171,5715 you can check all the specs out there of the products apple has listed as with a retina.

Edited by dharak1

Plus if you know biology, the density of sensory cells on the human retina is somewhere around a hundred thousand per square millimeter, and denser towards the center of the retina. Both distance and the eyesight of the viewer matter in this case.

I can just pop the microSD card out of my phone if I really need to. And MicroUSB cables are a lot more ubiquitous if you're not surrounded by Apple products on all sides. I'm charging my gamepad and my phone with the same kind of cable, for instance. Plus I can view any file format this way, rather than "almost" any. :)

For those complaining you can't use your iPhone as a Flash Drive here you go:

https://itunes.apple.com/lv/app/pocket-drive/id773111079?mt=8

Unlike having to look for your one-side micro USB cable, you can transfer files wirelessly and even view almost any file format!

I can't believe you actually brought up a $5 app for that.

But it's still not the same as a USB flash drive, because it uses wifi. That's no different than having your files on dropbox or mounting your device as a network drive over Wifi, which is trivial on Android too. The files you transfer can still only be seen in that app. It doesn't allow you to copy over MP3 files to play them in the music app of your choice, or word files to edit them in Office, or whatever particular file type you might need for whatever particular app you might use.

Unlike proprietary Apple cables, micro USB cables are ubiquitous and cheap and compatible with everything. Most people have at least one or two at home to charge their phones, tablets, cameras, wireless mice or whatever... They are much less hassle than having to connect to a friend's wifi or a customer's corporate network and they also allow you to play your files on grandma's dumb TV or DVD player.

Edited by Nibb31

Also, is it actually possible to copyright a technology that wasn't developed by Apple? Apple was not the first developers of touch screens. And by chucking a touch screen into a phone and saying "I did this. COPYRIGHTED!" just doesn't work. That's why they can't sue any other manufacturer that has touch screen phones. Because its not copyrighted. What you saw, SpaceXray, was a massive bunch of BS. Or are you going to complain that Apple should be suing everyone that uses a touch screen in their products? Yeah, have fun with that. This thread should be locked by a mod, all this thread is now is silly little manufacturer rivalries.

The first phone with a touch screen was the IBM Simon in 1993.

I remember drooling over the Nokia 9000 communicator in the 90's, which was a Symbian-based mini computer phone. In those days, we had phones, we had PDAs, and we had MP3 players. Everybody knew that it was just a matter of time before those devices merged. Nobody had to "invent" the smartphone, because the idea was already there.

In 1999, the Ericsson R380 was the first phone to be called a "smartphone" combining a phone and a PDA. The Nokia 7710 was launched in 2004 with a color touch screen. The LG Prada was the first phone with a capacitive touch screen, launched in 2006. The iPhone was launched in 2007 with a design very similar to the Prada.

Edited by Nibb31

Which is better???? Well …. Android and Galaxy all the way.

1. Simple data transfer and control - Apple locks up and hide's all you stuff and doesn’t let you share it with anyone that doesn’t also have a mac, at least not easily - Backups - I had to google the hell out of that to find where old iPad backups are really at.

Then there’s there "Join Us" cult like marketing.

2. Parts. Did you know Apple is one of if not the biggest customer of Samsung?

3. ITunes = Money on top of that spent of the device on movies etc. And yes I know play store is even worse with its rental bull But and this is a big But you can go anywhere else without worrying about apple combat ability.

3. Freedom to change - If I get bored with my galaxy and HTC makes something truly jaw dropping then I just go and get it and all my stuff comes with me I just copy paste for the most part. But apple Oh no other then basic stuff if you leave the cult of apple there are consequences, no your only real choice is to upgrade to a new apple or suffer.

I own ( at least I pay the bills for ) IPad 4 IPhone 5S IPhone 4S & Galaxy 5 & Sony Experia thingy and go through the whole upgrade thing almost yearly and have had good and bad from both but overall I feel the Galaxy to be the superior option for me able to withstand a good impact without damage many a time and now its waterproof OMG Apple have got what … there posh brand appeal oh there we were first or were great attitude mm Yes the are pretty, yes they are simple to understand for most Basic functions, yes they hold their value longer BUT there not the best.

And that ladies and gentlemen is my My 2cents

.....Cough… Hopes of soap box :blush:

Which is better???? Well …. Android and Galaxy all the way.

1. Simple data transfer and control - Apple locks up and hide's all you stuff and doesn’t let you share it with anyone that doesn’t also have a mac, at least not easily - Backups - I had to google the hell out of that to find where old iPad backups are really at.

Then there’s there "Join Us" cult like marketing.

2. Parts. Did you know Apple is one of if not the biggest customer of Samsung?

3. ITunes = Money on top of that spent of the device on movies etc. And yes I know play store is even worse with its rental bull But and this is a big But you can go anywhere else without worrying about apple combat ability.

3. Freedom to change - If I get bored with my galaxy and HTC makes something truly jaw dropping then I just go and get it and all my stuff comes with me I just copy paste for the most part. But apple Oh no other then basic stuff if you leave the cult of apple there are consequences, no your only real choice is to upgrade to a new apple or suffer.

I own ( at least I pay the bills for ) IPad 4 IPhone 5S IPhone 4S & Galaxy 5 & Sony Experia thingy and go through the whole upgrade thing almost yearly and have had good and bad from both but overall I feel the Galaxy to be the superior option for me able to withstand a good impact without damage many a time and now its waterproof OMG Apple have got what … there posh brand appeal oh there we were first or were great attitude mm Yes the are pretty, yes they are simple to understand for most Basic functions, yes they hold their value longer BUT there not the best.

And that ladies and gentlemen is my My 2cents

.....Cough… Hopes of soap box :blush:

Did you type that with your Samsung stylus+tablet :D

i can't understand anything.

I already told you there are a ton of apps for file storage and easy data transfer between your computer wirelessly.

If you don't want to buy movies put em in iTunes manually.

I understood that post perfectly. And it's correct. File transfers are much easier with Android devices that carry a microSD card. You shouldn't need a special app that probably costs money to access stuff that's on your device.

Did you type that with your Samsung stylus+tablet :D

i can't understand anything.

I already told you there are a ton of apps for file storage and easy data transfer between your computer wirelessly.

If you don't want to buy movies put em in iTunes manually.

Really? Did you forget about this?

-SNIP-

There is an argument to be made about Apple products as there is for everything, putting down everything and claiming that Apple rules above all is no that argument.

Really? Did you forget about this?

There is an argument to be made about Apple products as there is for everything, putting down everything and claiming that Apple rules above all is no that argument.

Apple has always been and is still considered prestigious, innovative and modern.

People get Apple products because they actually work flawlessly and look premium by using aluminum.

Go and hold a cheap 30$ Android phone. Then go and hold an iPhone 5s.

Feel the difference? The nice touch of metal on your hands? You feel like holding something valuable.

When you hold a S5 it feels like a chea soap box, but costs as much as an iPhone.

Youll come screaming about Androids having an SD card slot-sure.

Work your hands off removing the slot cove,r taking the card out, plugging it in and so on.

Or join Apple and seamlessly store files on your iDevice and transfer them wirelessly. And yes, 100% free.

Join and actually feel proud of what you are holding in your palm.

People choose Apple because it is actually cool. Still don't believe me? Look at how poor the Galaxy S5 sales are compared

to the IPhone 5s.

A S5 doesn't cost as much as an iPhone. A 32GB S5 is 700$ and an iPhone 5S is 800 for the same amount of storage. A "high" storage iPhone is 900$. If you want premium quality don't look to Samsung. You also just compared a 30$ phone to a phone that costs 900$. The Oppo Find 7 is my top phone. It has a carbon fiber back and storage that you can expand up to 160GB, all on top of a 3000 mAh battery (2x iPhone 5S capacity.) and an Aluminum-Titanium frame. If you want something metal (I don't know why) Look to the HTC one M8. It's got an Aluminum body and comes in the same three colors as the iPhone 5S (Yes even the cheap gold one!). You get more ram more possible storage a better OS and all for a lower price. Take a look at the specs here: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/HTC-One-M8,Apple-iPhone-5s,OPPO-Find-7/phones/8242,7710,8351

A S5 doesn't cost as much as an iPhone. A 32GB S5 is 700$ and an iPhone 5S is 800 for the same amount of storage. A "high" storage iPhone is 900$. If you want premium quality don't look to Samsung. You also just compared a 30$ phone to a phone that costs 900$. The Oppo Find 7 is my top phone. It has a carbon fiber back and storage that you can expand up to 160GB, all on top of a 3000 mAh battery (2x iPhone 5S capacity.) and an Aluminum-Titanium frame. If you want something metal (I don't know why) Look to the HTC one M8. It's got an Aluminum body and comes in the same three colors as the iPhone 5S (Yes even the cheap gold one!). You get more ram more possible storage a better OS and all for a lower price. Take a look at the specs here: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/HTC-One-M8,Apple-iPhone-5s,OPPO-Find-7/phones/8242,7710,8351

In many speed tests the S5 proved to be SLOWER than the iPhone.

Once again, when someone asks oh what phone you have, will you be proud of saying you have a Chinese Oppo tralala?

Nope. You'll get laughed at. An HTC One M8? Agree, it looks appealing as a phone, but HTC will never get popular again.

Once again, the IPhone was a first and now every dog knows what it is. And you can actually be proud of saying you have one.

Also, stop screaming about the goddamn storage please! No one cares how many Gb you have now, because cloud computing is becoming more and more popular as well as the availability of Internet connection.

Edited by SpaceXray

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.