Apple(iOS) vs Samsung(Android)

SpaceXray

People get Apple products because they actually work flawlessly

I'm not usually one to post this sort of thing, but LIAR, LIAR PANTS ON FIRE! I've worked with enough iOS and OSX devices to tell you that "flawless" is not anywhere near an accurate description (and likely never will be, there's no such thing as bug-free software of any real complexity).

The rest of your post is about snob-appeal and aesthetics, if that's your thing Apple is likely a good choice for you.

And you can actually be proud of saying you have one.

Proud of having the phone that's as common as dirt? That's like being proud of driving a Corolla. Besides, pride in your possessions is materialistic and shallow.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

I'm not usually one to post this sort of thing, but LIAR, LIAR PANTS ON FIRE! I've worked with enough iOS and OSX devices to tell you that "flawless" is not anywhere near an accurate description (and likely never will be, there's no such thing as bug-free software of any real complexity).

The rest of your post is about snob-appeal and aesthetics, if that's your thing Apple is likely a good choice for you.

Proud of having the phone that's as common as dirt? That's like being proud of driving a Corolla. Besides, pride in your possessions is materialistic and shallow.

It might be materialistic, but 90% of people are materialistic, so if you want to get a 10% rep boost get an IDevice.

It actually works, it also boosts your confidence too and makes you more likely to be successful.

I don't really like the way iPhones look. I like the look of the Tab Pro series especially the black ones. A nice black finish with silver trim. The look of the Oppo Find 7A in midnight is possibly the best looking phone out there and the Find 7 is a close second. I prefer my phones not to look like a squished safety deposit box.

oppo-find-7-1.jpg

Look at that in all its great beauty.

EDIT: I'm going to need citations on those claims of confidence boost. I would feel much better if I had a Find 7 than an iPhone 5S. Mybe it's because my friends value quality as well as looks as most people do.

Edited by dharak1

It might be materialistic, but 90% of people are materialistic, so if you want to get a 10% rep boost get an IDevice.

It actually works, it also boosts your confidence too and makes you more likely to be successful.

If your choice of phone affects how people treat you and your confidence level, frankly you have bigger problems than which phone to use.

I don't really like the way iPhones look. I like the look of the Tab Pro series especially the black ones. A nice black finish with silver trim. The look of the Oppo Find 7A in midnight is possibly the best looking phone out there and the Find 7 is a close second. I prefer my phones not to look like a squished safety deposit box.

http://cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/oppo/oppo-find-7-1.jpg

Look at that in all its great beauty.

EDIT: I'm going to need citations on those claims of confidence boost. I would feel much better if I had a Find 7 than an iPhone 5S. Mybe it's because my friends value quality as well as looks as most people do.

Wow that looks quite ugly actually. Even the name is very childish-sounding.

How exactly does the iPhone have "poor quality"? Everything about it is top-notch.

I'm sorry I just saw your post replying to mine. I want a phone that I can use without internet. I spend as much as 2 weeks at a time out in the mountains in BC. Don't say "oh well everyone has coverage anyway you just go to mountains!" I get less than a mile out of the closest town with coverage and i don't have a connection anymore. The closest town overall has 300 people and they have no cell towers there at all. The S5 is only slower because of the bloatware Samsung tacks on. If you look at lower end phones such as the One Plus one you can see the difference it makes. Why would anyone care where the phone is made? That's bordering on an untrue stereotype. I don't know how to tell you this but EVERY phone is made in China. iPhones are produced by Foxconn. They have all their factories in China. Samsung phones are made by Foxconn. I'm not sure about One Plus phones or Oppo phones but I'm betting theyre made in China too. Just because your phone says "designed in California" doesn't mean it was made there. Face the facts, iPhones aren't special little snowflakes, they are made like every other phone. If seeing designed in California makes you feel good, good for you. The general population doesn't give a crap, they all know the phone is made in a place where you need suicide nets. TL;DR: iPhones are made in china and the cloud solves nothing.

EDIT: NOTHING I repeat NOTHING about the iPhone is top notch. It has limited memory, a horrible resolution, slightly higher but unexpandable storage. You may be able to argue about the OS or the construction, but other android phones have that and don't have all the negatives of an iPhone.

Edited by dharak1

Apple has always been and is still considered prestigious, innovative and modern.

People get Apple products because they actually work flawlessly and look premium by using aluminum.

Go and hold a cheap 30$ Android phone. Then go and hold an iPhone 5s.

Feel the difference? The nice touch of metal on your hands? You feel like holding something valuable.

When you hold a S5 it feels like a chea soap box, but costs as much as an iPhone.

Youll come screaming about Androids having an SD card slot-sure.

Work your hands off removing the slot cove,r taking the card out, plugging it in and so on.

Or join Apple and seamlessly store files on your iDevice and transfer them wirelessly. And yes, 100% free.

Join and actually feel proud of what you are holding in your palm.

People choose Apple because it is actually cool. Still don't believe me? Look at how poor the Galaxy S5 sales are compared

to the IPhone 5s.

SpaceXray do you actually have an argument that is not extremely subjective? The only hint of a non subjective argument in there is your point about online storage, which you can do on an android phone, just use Dropbox, however having the micro SD slot gives me the option to do it manually, that's the important part. I have a choice in what I can do, where is that choice with an iPhone? Infact where is any sort of real choice with Apple? Any sense of indepth customization?

One more point, what is with the price difference between the 16 gb 5s and the 64 gb 5s? $260 is very steep for that much of a memory difference.

^ This.

At this point his argument is basically "I think it's cool to have one so I like it". the iPhone isn't a very good looking phone either. He also calls the names childish when he owns a device that is named literally phone with an I tacked on.

I I don't know how to tell you this but EVERY phone is made in China.

Quite a few Samsung models are still made in South Korea, which means they come ahead by his own standards. Other than that there's manufacturing in India and Russia, but neither of those involve phones that are actually sold outside of those countries.

I've never heard about the Samsung phones being made in Korea. Are they more obscure lower end phones or have I missed checking one of the higher end models?

As far as I can tell it's not specific models as such, but a certain proportion of each model. I just checked my own Samsung phone (an S3 mini) and it's marked 'made in Korea'.

EDIT: It seems some are also made in Vietnam. Again, as a portion of the run rather than specific models.

Probably chips inside the phone, I should have said assembled in China. My point is still pretty strong considering how most high end Android phones use snapdragon 801's and parts of iPhı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ones are made by Samsung itself.

Edited by dharak1

'Made in Korea' samsung devices are made in samsung's own works in Gumi; they cut costs through vertical integration rather than cheap workforce (although SK labour is still pretty cheap compared to Europe or US). The vertical integration is exactly why they have the infrastructure to make chips for the iphone.

Still though Apple remains premium. The names of the devices are simple and easy to remember.

How is the iphone "poorly designed"? It is a wonderful design! Note it only has 7 buttons including a silent mode switch which no other phone has.

The iphone will still remain the most popular phone despite price and some customization limitations because it is very simple to use unlike Android. It still has the most accesories available and the best OS to hardware relationship, and Samsung or any other phone can't beat the speed of iDevices no matter how many cores and Gb of RAM they try to forcefully pop in. Samsung is losing the phone war, and they desperately try to get customers back by claiming "the bigger the number the better" and laughing at the minor flaws of iPhones in their adds instead of showing what makes their product so special.

People are full of anticipation of the iPhone 6, no one was so eager to get an S5. People will still stand in a huge line to get an iPhone. It'll always be like that. You can't beat Apple's popularity.

Samsung may know how to make TV's and fridges, but they know cr*p about smartphones or tablets.

Of course the iPhone is more popular than any given Android phone.

That's like saying that the PlayStation 3 is more popular than any given laptop model. Because of course it is. Apple caters to their own niche, and that niche is "people rich enough to afford the only phone configuration they are offering, whether they actually need all of its functions or are simply gullible enough to follow the advertising". Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC, Acer, Asus, and all the other reindeer phone manufacturers just make phones like one would make laptops - they provide a selection of prices and hardware setups, so that the user can choose.

Me, I choose to dislike being boxed into one specific setup and price range. I dislike consoles as well, but that's why I have a laptop good enough to play PS2 games on. ^_^

You can't beat Apple's popularity. Samsung may know how to make TV's and fridges, but they know cr*p about smartphones or tablets.

If you are going to rate phone manufacturers by popularity - as you try to do - that is a rather silly thing to say. Continuing the trend of the year before, Samsung sold 72,4 million units in Q1 2014, while Apple sold 31,2, giving Samsung a market share of over 24 percent versus 9 for Apple.

I think any company would gladly be 'losing the phone war', as you would put it, for those numbers :) Trying to argue your point by comparing numbers carefully selected to prove your point is not helping anything, I would suggest to discuss the matter in a more wholesome fashion.

Source.

Apple has always been and is still considered prestigious, innovative and modern.

People get Apple products because they actually work flawlessly and look premium by using aluminum.

Go and hold a cheap 30$ Android phone. Then go and hold an iPhone 5s.

Feel the difference? The nice touch of metal on your hands? You feel like holding something valuable.

When you hold a S5 it feels like a chea soap box, but costs as much as an iPhone.

Youll come screaming about Androids having an SD card slot-sure.

Work your hands off removing the slot cove,r taking the card out, plugging it in and so on.

Or join Apple and seamlessly store files on your iDevice and transfer them wirelessly. And yes, 100% free.

Join and actually feel proud of what you are holding in your palm.

People choose Apple because it is actually cool. Still don't believe me? Look at how poor the Galaxy S5 sales are compared

to the IPhone 5s.

I tell you about how "quality" Iphones are. My family has 4. 4 iphones. They all have various issues. Mine locks up to the point it becomes unusable unless it's rebooted, lock screen doesn't work sometimes and it has randomly started deleting text messages. Guess how many aftermarket apps I have on it? NONE. I don't have any music on it and I have 35 pictures. My daughters home button ceased to work in the first 6 months. My sons power button at the top... it broke and my wifes has power fluctuations. And guess what? Warranty doesn't cover any of it. I dropped my previous HTC phone in a wash bucket accidently, threw it in a bag of rice... worked flawlessly.

Also, just throwing more fuel on the fire here. Iphone wasn't the first smart phone on the market. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28802053. Audiovox had a windows based smartphone in 2003. Palm Treo was another fantastic smart phone back in 2003. In 2006 UTStarcom had a touchscreen, slide out keyboard smart phone the PPC6670. It was a brick, but still, you could play Mp3's, surf the web, watch movies.

All right, since this is quickly devolving into the fanboyish ranting I predicted and feared right at the start. I suggest we will leave it at that. Or does anyone feel the need to invoke the bad forum policy to get this thread closed?

All right, since this is quickly devolving into the fanboyish ranting I predicted and feared right at the start. I suggest we will leave it at that. Or does anyone feel the need to invoke the bad forum policy to get this thread closed?

I was kind of hoping it would go that way about 11 pages ago... Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when someone decides that they are unwilling to listen to the other side's point of view it's no longer discussion.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when someone decides that they are unwilling to listen to the other side's point of view it's no longer discussion.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but a lot of people mistake that for their opinion also being worth something. The latter is something that needs to be earned.

However, if people keep replying, responding and taking the bait, it remains a discussion.

Edited by Camacha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.