Have you ever gotten stuck in mud?

Sun

• 4 years later...

I cut close to drowning in a huge mud pit when I was 12...

I was jogging in a forest when my feet slid from underneath me on some slippery ground. It had rained the night before. A lot. I slid between two trees and fell off a 2-3 meter cliff when I landed in some mud.

It gave way as soon as I landed, thankfully softening the landing, but now I was up to my waist in it! First off, it STANK like nothing else! Second, it was thick — thick enough to keep me bogged in, but also loose enough to give way at will and pull me deeper! I was frightened at first, but I calmed down. Until I noticed I was sinking!

I freaked out a lot, I didn't know how to swim, so I couldn't just breast-stroke my way out. I had to get out the hard way.

After a good half-hour of struggling, I managed to get neck-deep, when I saw a friend. I yelled and screamed at the top of my lungs, hoping she would come. Luckily, she did. When she saw me, buried up to my neck in the muck, she gasped. I told her imperatively to get something to help me out of my sticky situation, and so she left.

My chin started to disappear when I almost started crying. I leaned my head back to keep my face from disappearing. I sat in silence, the surface of the pit quivered softly as I sank deeper into the earth. My ears submerged and I let my mouth disappear too, as I could use my nose to breathe instead.

My head was tilted back, with the tip of my button nose, up in the air. I sank back a little, my eyes disappeared too. It was going to be OK, I thought to myself. All I needed was oxygen, flowing through my nose. At this point, my friend had returned with something to help me out. She called my name and what returned was the mere "Blub blub blub..." of me trying to communicate with her through the muck. My button nose was still at the surface, slowly submerging. The tip of my nose then parted from her vision. I was completely buried! My friend called out for me. There was silence. She called for me again. Still no response.

All of a sudden, a bubbling noise can from where I was buried, "Blub! Blub! Glug! Gurgle! Blub!". She dived into the mud pit, with a tough stick in her hand. I felt the soft, oozing mud begin to flow through my nose. I knew I was done for...

Suddenly, I was being lifted from the pit. She swam across the mud and towed me with the stick. She wiped my eyes and I fell onto my back, gasping for oxygen. My friend had saved me and when I looked at her, she was covered in mud too! I am so, so thankful to my friend who saved me. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for her!

no mud but i did almost fling my grandma out of the back of a pickup truck while racing my sister around a gravel pit in southeast alaska. id never driven a truck before that day, nor sense, which is probably good because i grew up playing carmageddon. 

Edited by Nuke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.