Why I hate 64-bit

LameLefty

This. This right here. By going Win-only with this 64-bit release, Squad has instantly bifurcated the fan-base and cut Mac users out of a lot of the fun. Part of what attracted me to this game back when I started playing (0.19) was that the releases were platform-agnostic and basically if it worked for Windows, it also worked for Macs and on Linux boxes.

Sadly, this is no longer the case and it both saddens and angers me.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57603-0-24-2-RasterPropMonitor-putting-the-A-in-your-IVA-%28v0-18-1%29-27-Jul?p=1322065&viewfull=1#post1322065

Sadly, this is no longer the case and it both saddens and angers me.

You're quoting a mod dev, not a Squad dev. Squad's position is that KSP works on Mac, Linux, and win32. They are only just now getting into win64 and the current version of it should be considered a public beta, use at your own risk.

It is the community that is embracing win64 to the exclusion of all else. If you want to get mad at somebody, get mad at the customers.

You do realize that 64-bit is inherently unstable?

Well no, no I don't. I play on a Mac and KSP has never been the most stable game, especially when memory gets above 3.2 gigabyte and mods are taken into account. But really, any perceived benefits of 64-bit aren't really the point. The point is, it's causing mod makers like Mihara to ignore 32-bit versions and is thus splitting the game's core fanbase in a way that is potentially very destructive.

Also, I think Mihara should really test on 32-bit rather than 64-bit only for that reason, but that's his decision, of course.

Certainly it's his choice. But Squad's decision to release a Win-only version of the game allowed him to make that choice in the first place. That's my biggest beef.

(Love your Toolbar, by the way. I couldn't imagine playing without it).

There's been a 64-bit Linux build for quite some time, I don't really see how a 64-bit windows build changes the landscape all that much.

Mods are platform agnostic, in theory at least. Not testing the mod on 32-bit (Windows, Mac or Linux) doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work. Have you tried it?

...if it worked for Windows...

This is the most telling part. Given the number of people having serious issues with the 64 bit version, I wouldn't say that the 64bit version "works" on Windows.

Mods are platform agnostic, in theory at least. Not testing the mod on 32-bit (Windows, Mac or Linux) doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work. Have you tried it?

Not yet. Currently playing a very minimal-mod version of .24.2. That said, there are already modders out there releasing separate 64-bit and 32-bit versions. And that bothers me because the game is no longer platform-agnostic.

Come on you're saying the only reason you hate 64 bits is because you can't have it. You sound like a kid throwing a tantrum.

Read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote. I hate that it has divided the game's customers into haves and have-nots. That didn't use to be the case.

I'm fully capable of installing Windows on my MBP (In fact I have a Win7 installation right now in VirtualBox that I use for other things). I just don't like the divisive nature of the release and the fact that modders are starting to take that into account. Let's face it, all of the amazing stuff they do is an incredible part of the entire "KSP experience." And the 64-bit decision is going to limit the scope of that experience for a sizable fraction of the customer base going forward.

I think that's a sad thing.

Edited by Rich

Not quite sure what the problem is here.. The game is driven by the communiy.. The community is driven by mods.. The game needs to evolve to keep the community thriving which in turn keeps the game moving forward. 64bit is the only way that's going to happen as the complexity and size of the mods continues to grow. SQUAD is not the only developer moving to 64bit for gaming. It will be an industry standard within two years tops.

Edited by styckx

Read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote. I hate that it has divided the game's customers into haves and have-nots. That didn't use to be the case.

Windows 64 bit was released because it COULD be released, so was linux 64 bit, but mac 64 bit is impossible at this moment, deal with it.

Not yet. Currently playing a very minimal-mod version of .24.2. That said, there are already modders out there releasing separate 64-bit and 32-bit versions. And that bothers me because the game is no longer platform-agnostic.

Er, if there are two versions available, doesn't that mean it will work everywhere? I've been going on the assumption that a 64-bit only release is meant to work around the myriad issues the win64 version of KSP has, for all other versions the 32-bit mod version should work. If a mod has only one version available, I assume it doesn't need anything special for win64.

I find it hard to imagine the portion of modders only supporting win64 is anything but vanishingly small.

there are already modders out there releasing separate 64-bit and 32-bit versions

Can you give a list of mods that have separate 32 and 64 bit versions? Then compare that list to the list of all mods. You will find that it is a tiny proportion of mods that do this.

I've been going on the assumption that a 64-bit only release is meant to work around the myriad issues the win64 version of KSP has

I find it hard to imagine the portion of modders only supporting win64 is anything but vanishingly small.

Yup.. Every mod I have that crashes and burns Windows 64bit runs flawlesssly in 64bit Linux.. Windows 64bit will be a moving goalpost for a few releases I imagine. Linux 64bit is equal to its 32bit counterparts. It runs like a watch with nearly everything.

And that bothers me because the game is no longer platform-agnostic.

The game itself is the same for every platform.

Also, "platform-agnostic" development brought us console ports, with horrible lighting and texturing masked by crapton of blur.

This is the most telling part. Given the number of people having serious issues with the 64 bit version, I wouldn't say that the 64bit version "works" on Windows.

You quoted me out of context. I was referring to mods: If a mod worked on Windows, it also worked on OS X and Linux. That was the beauty of a platform-agnostic game. Now mods are being compiled specifically against particular versions (64-bit or 32-bit) and aren't going to work across platforms.

You quoted me out of context. I was referring to mods: If a mod worked on Windows, it also worked on OS X and Linux. That was the beauty of a platform-agnostic game. Now mods are being compiled specifically against particular versions (64-bit or 32-bit) and aren't going to work across platforms.

Then name some and back up your assertion that they won't work across platforms with some actual evidence...

Can you give a list of mods that have separate 32 and 64 bit versions? Then compare that list to the list of all mods. You will find that it is a tiny proportion of mods that do this.

It's only been a couple weeks. By the time 0.25 rolls around, I would bet you lots of money that the list is much longer.

But wasn't that done when they released the game for linux x64 as well? Why is it such an issue now with Windows?

I'm fully capable of installing Windows on my MBP (In fact I have a Win7 installation right now in VirtualBox that I use for other things). I just don't like the divisive nature of the release and the fact that modders are starting to take that into account. Let's face it, all of the amazing stuff they do is an incredible part of the entire "KSP experience." And the 64-bit decision is going to limit the scope of that experience for a sizable fraction of the customer base going forward.

It sure seems like you are the only one (at least commenting) who thinks this release was "divisive in nature" and "split the playerbase".

It's only been a couple weeks. By the time 0.25 rolls around, I would bet you lots of money that the list is much longer.

You would lose the bet. There may be many more mods that are only developed and tested on the 64 bit version but this doesn't mean they wont work or be supported on 32 bit or on other platforms.